Shortfin corvina petition thoughts? (Long winded)

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Roncador, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Roncador

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,524
    Name:
    Boat:
    So I wrote a petition directed to the dfg
    to change regulation on shortfin corvina in California. I talk about how and why I would like to see them recognized as a legit gamefish and about changing the bag limit from 10 to 5 fish. Just curious what you all think. Should I even bother going through with this or should I give up while I have the chance? I'm sure many of you would say there should be no take at all, but the goal is to boost the fishery not to shut it down completely. By the way this isn't a prank, and no, nobody hacked my account. I realize the last petition went nowhere but this is legit and if I feel like I'm not gonna get shot in the face for it I will go through with it and post the actual petition anywhere and everywhere I can. Because, believe it or not I care too. I ain't in this to murder as many as I can. I still don't mind keeping some now and then but I'm trying to make this thing better for myself and everyone else. Many times when I was in a very dark place, chasing those silver fish was my only "real" motivation in life. So to say those fish are near and dear to me is an understatement and my love for them only grows stronger. No other fish in the bay drive me to stay out past 2am standing in the mud casting topwaters. Hell I went out last Friday I didn't even get home till almost 4am Saturday for only a few swirls and blowups and I still went the next day if that says anything. Anyhow enough sappy ****. I really hope I don't get any threats for this one. I'm just trying to do something positive, that's all.

#1 Roncador, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  2. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,475
    I think 5 is a reasonable limit, if there is science to support it. It seems like corvina are very common; are there any studies showing whether their numbers are declining? Or whether recreational take is impacting the population?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,465
    Are people regularly catching 10 corvina in a session?

I'm all for regulating a species that needs protecting, but do corvina fall into this category? I have the same questions as carpkiller.

Also, what good are new regulations if there is no one around to enforce them? I see the DFG all the time at our lakes, but in six years of fishing our bays and beaches I have only ran into a DFG agent three times. They seem to pop up around lobster season, and then disappear again when it ends.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,202
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    It is good that fishing , or in particular fishing for SF Corvina helped you though a dark part of life . Taking up a cause is admirable as well . With southern California being the northern extreme of the Shortfin range it may be difficult to encourage conservation in the southern portion of the range where a commercial fishery exists . You may want to contact or become involved with groups that collect the data you need for your petition . Here is a link to a network of fisheries councils that may be of help . As others have said , you will need the science to back up your statements . You may have to put emotion aside in order to complete your quest .
    RecFIN – Rec. Fish. Info. Net. Good luck . WR

#4 William Ritchie, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,304
    I have to admit, I’d be a little irritated if I saw someone walking up to their car with 10 corvina on their stringer. That’s just gluttony.. I did not know the limit was 10 on those. As hard as they are to find, let alone catch, the odds of someone bagging 10 might be in line with catching 100 spotties in a day. Not impossible but highly unlikely.. That said, I’d have no problem with a change from 10 to a 5 bag limit. Good luck on your quest Roncador.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59,377
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Eh, we need less regs, not more. Fact of the matter is that c n r fishing for vina kills more of em than catch and take. I, personally, don't think I have ever seen anyone with a ten stringer of vina, or just seen em stacked in the bottom of a cooler somewhere, either (not that I stalk the vina grounds often, mind you). Add in the very small reproductive size of vina and I think it's a pretty sustainable fishery, other than the c n r aspect. Might not want the DFG to look too close at that portion of the gig...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  7. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,289
    Name:
    Why
    Boat:
    Boats are to pricey
    How about this instead, slot limits.

Corvina ain’t in shortage but there is definitely a clone problem in the works now. Targeting them was bad enough but now that they are all 12 inches long, we’ll that’s bad. No need to keep 10 croaker a day. There is none. If you can go out and catch ten croakers in a day; you’re dialed in and you can more then likely successfully target them the next day. I’ve seen some dude kill 20 spotfin a day with his kid (these are all small spotfin), but seeing him there multiple days in a row doing it? Gtfo. Seriously I’d like to challenge anyone to eat that much protein fresh. To just fill a freezer doing that is fked. Like one good day and give it a rest for a while is very different then just hammering the fk out of something.

So I suggest slot limits. Have the fish which just hit puberty at risk only. Leave a large growing population to supply the dinner plate and a large sportfish population for anglers to fish for.

California needs more efficient regulations. More streamlined, not as vague. The bass population would fking boom off that, every where else along Baja and the offshore islands you see outstanding bass populations but it seems like our coast line is just a little different in comparison /s.

5 seems good for the croakers in general.

Something I’m going to bring up is that the state should drop its limits on tunas. If you can guzzle down a whole fking yellowfin in a day you need help. Like a big bowl of 120lb bluefin poke I understand and that’s okay, but a football yellowfin ain’t got nothing compared to that. California should sets its laws so it had the idea of fresh consumption in mind. Would generate more revenue for the fishing economy as well. Sport boats should go up further in price, sure back in 85 you could roll with Sportfishing as long as the sack is filled mentality; but that’s realistically unsustainable and shyt is expensive due to thing called inflation (thanks Reagan). Sport boats can’t keep deckhands along with the meat filler mentality because fishing isn’t always going to produce a full sack of meat.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,208
    You guys make too much sense which the department of fun and games will take no part of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,289
    Name:
    Why
    Boat:
    Boats are to pricey
    Cue the Metallica

“sad but trueeeee”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,648
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    I'm more for slot limits versus size limits. Especially on certain fish *cough bass cough *. I've never seen limits of corvina in person. Have seen it in the past, online. Right here on this website actually. Wouldn't doubt some of the people who have them dialed would be mad at the thoughts of the regulations being changed.
    Shortfin Corvina

11. Roncador

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,524
    Name:
    Boat:
    Well I don't think their in decline persay. A few people in here who probably won't say anything might think so or go as far to say that they are doomed for good. But the only reason I really care about this is because for those of us on the ground who are out there every week I'm sure you've seen the amount of new people just in the last year or so. With more than one local YouTuber posting videos about them and this trend of fishing crews it's really catched on among the younger fisherman and social media types here in San Diego. The way I see it this fishery is growing, the fish are here to stay and there's more than enough people fishing for them every single day all across the county for the dfg to actually start paying attention and managing the fishery like any other gamefish. Right now they won't even touch it, they all say they didn't get here till 97' and that they have no idea what's going on with those things. I know people that were fishing for them in the late 80's and a few that say they caught them before then. Whatever you want to believe it still doesn't knock the fact that they've been here for at the very least 30 years and show no sign of leaving.

12. Roncador

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,524
    Name:
    Boat:
    Both of you are absolutely correct but there are plenty of people taking limits especially the live bait crowd. I know a guy that comes down from from Irvine to fish San Diego bay who catches sometimes more than limits on the regular out of his duck boat. I'm really only suggesting the 5 limit because of what fat spotty is talking about. No body really needs that many as the current limit. They definitely aren't one of those fish that preserve well. It's about trying to be a little more sustainable. Just because they can make babies in a year doesn't mean you should kill 10. It's not like our lakes that are artificial ecosystems where we have to take stuff out sometimes to make things better. I have a feeling the ocean and mother nature takes care of itself.

#12 Roncador, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  13. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,648
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    I have a love /hate for social media. On one hand it's nice to see new people in the sport. On the other it draws in lots of people who want everything handed to them and are just motivated by social media likes. This past year has been particularly bad with the amount of people blowing up and thrashing spots.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,440
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    Two is enough fish with a bigger slot so they can get bigger and actually spawn before caught and possibly killed. I think they really should let them spawn the next generation of crackhead vampires before they become legal to harvest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. afishnsea

afishnsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +184
    Name:
    Phil
    Sorry but this is a dumb idea. Let's have everyone measure them just to say oh it's in the slot I gotta let it go but it's dead now smh ‍♂️

16. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,440
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    Bro, these fish are dying because of overfishing and pollution. Why would you just let these innocent and beautiful creatures die of unnatural causes by us. We need to regulate our limits to keep these fish thriving to keep the ecosystem in check. So don’t say it’s a dumb idea to keep our wildlife safe

17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59,377
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    These fish die when caught. How would a slot help if ninety percent or more die when they get hooked and fought? And yes, vina are that fragile. The problem is NOT retention if they are overfished, it's angling effort. Catch and release kills these fish, how would slots or bag limits prevent this?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,440
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    I’m onboard, no matter what anyone says. We need to save our local fish and other wildlife.

19. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,440
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    Keep them in the net, or bring a water bucket to keep them breathing.

20. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,440
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    Werfless I’m sorry if I offended you, but we need to act together to save our bays and other wildlife.