SI with The Capt 10/14

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,535
    Water temp 66.. outside temp a smidgen warmer. Gorgeous morning, weather-wise. Inbound tide and a moderate current pushing itself toward the city.
    1.JPG

2.JPG

Watched as Woody took a few under lovely skies.

3.JPG

Only took a few on the kick to the pier. Nothing notable. Once at the pier, I dragged along the posts with not so much as a bump. Alright.. going back to the boats. Once there, I started getting them left and right in the 20+' zone. Took several that might have run 13" or so, but everything else was cookie cutter.

4.JPG

5.JPG

Also got banged by something a bit bigger, but lost him. When I brought my flies up to check the knots, this is what I found. You just know it had to be a larger Halibut.

6.JPG

My friend the Furbag was making the rounds.. again. POS.

7.JPG

Pretty much it. I finished with 27.. 26 Spots and one scared "Schiffless" little Calico. Not sure what the Capt got. Fun morning.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,364
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Nice numbers.. well done

3. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    I only got nine with my experimental T-8 and amnesia, lost a 24-26 hali afer ten minute battle cause I had a double with a 12" spotty who shook him off at the tube before I could net him and a personal best 16" sbb.Did find out what I needed though and the T-8 will make a great fast drift line

4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,535
    Ya, I know what you need.. You need to stop skrewing around with all these specialty lines and weird-weight rods that you keep bringing out with you. Get going straight with a good 5 or 6wt.. get a well-made completely anodized 5/6 saltwater-capable reel and fill it with 100yds of 30# backing and that 200gr line I gifted you. Stop dikking around with freakin' Amnesia line and get serious with a 3.5' section of stiff Fireline leader with split ring attachment, and two lengths or fluorocarbon that hang off that at different lengths. Start catching all the fish you can catch by using the right gear and using the right technique to catch them. I listened to my mentor 110% and did exactly what he told me to do. And as far as flyfishing the bays from a float tube is concerned, I turned out okay. Get steppin' !

5. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    View attachment 121712 View attachment 121713 I am waiting for my behemoth 4/5 to get in and I will do exactly that.but in the meantime I caught this This morning on the 2 weight.did have the good Redington rise reel

6. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Pics 1016190922_HDR.jpg 1016190858_HDR.jpg

7. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,535
    That's beautiful !! But we've had our UL fun, and now its time to get serious. You only need one rod, one reel and one line. And you only need one float tube, one sonar and one set of fins. DO NOT bring out your entire arsenal. No need to bring out that insane rod holder contraption you made. I can still hear my own mentor talking to me about things I would need to have and things I have no need for. And I heard it loud and clear. Now its your turn. One rod, one reel, one line. The best fins, the best float tube and a great safety vest. Bring some extra flies and a couple extra leader setups. That's it. If your partner is worth his salt, he will have extra things as well and you can bum stuff from him. Which brings up another thought.. your leaders. I gotta look at your leaders. I still believe mine are the way to go. Amnesia isnt anywhere as stiff as 30# Fireline with a 2mm split ring at the end. And I'm betting thats another reason why Im seeing more fish in my bag each time were out. Sensitivity is key.. so is no leader stretch.

8. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    You are probably right on the fireline I had 2 failures at the split ring and went to 20lb flouro and have had no failures, but my numbers have gone down.so once behemoth gets here and I change over I will bring assigned list when I fish with you and I will make my fireline leaders.i am going to zap a gap knot

9. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,535
    I have your leaders already made. And I'm going to bring some unknotted line so that I can tie the knots in front of you. On another note, I spent two hours at Mission Point this evening from 330-530pm. Outbound tide, so I was kicking into the current and the wind that was coming up. Caught 14 from the sand to the last northernmost boat in the basin.. then rode the wind and current back.. had only two smashes and I missed them both. 2 Mackerel, 4 Sand Bass, 2 Baby Halibut and 6 Spots. I still find it unbelievable how there's so much water out there, but every joker on a paddleboard, small boat or just swimming along always seems to find their way right in front of my line. Just sayin'

10. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    I am taking a guy from Georgia (Zim)to Spanish tomorrow from 6-10 will let you know how we do. if your off your welcome to join

11. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,650
    Nice pictures, guys.
    Shark from a float tube...on the fly. Oh my.
    I have 2 Shelter Island questions.

1. Shouldn't the new breakwater around the launch have a LOT more spotties under it? I have fished it a couple of times and only got a few fish...and managed to find more fish out between the boats. The pilings under the breakwater should be crawling with spotties....

2. Or is it just me?

#11 carpkiller, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  12. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    It's to new, needs time for plants and other life to establish

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,535
    Do you have a float tube? Join us and we'll drag the place together to find out !

14. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,535
    Did you write a report? If not, do it !!

15. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
  16. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Also I made four 3 ft- 2mm split ring leaders using 35lb green Spiderwire and will shorten my 10 lb flouro leaders to 1ft and 3 ft.Just waiting on behemoth to get in. Also ordered a Rio 30 ft sink tip for new 7wt that will go on third Lamson spool

17. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,535
    Good ! Now.. once you take that Spiderwire leader OFF, you can throw on one of my FIRELINE leaders.