Sitting tube

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Fishferdayzzz, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Fishferdayzzz

Fishferdayzzz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75
    I got a fish cat 4 that’s been sitting in my attic for at least 4 years without use. Mainly because I been going on my friends boat but unfortunately he moved away and imma get back into tubing. Main question is have you guys ever had a problem with a tube sitting for a while? Not trying to figure out if it’s going to deflate while I’m out in the bay haha. It does get pretty hot up there so it probably want the best place to store it. I’m gonna inflate it today but I don’t think it’s the same as putting weight on it while on the water. I’m still gonna figure it out one way or another just wanted your guys opinion

2. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    So the tube that I've been using for a couple of years was leaking more and more. It seeped a little air, even when new. So I unpacked the other one that I bought new 15 years ago (wife never got around to using it). It's been baking in the shed since then. It not only holds air....it doesn't seep at all!
    Even my leaky old tube never lost enough air to sink, and it didn't seem to leak any faster with my big carcASS in the seat. After two or three hours, it would ride kinda low, I carried a bit of hose so I could refill it when the waves were splashing my reels.
    Pump it up...if it doesn't go flat overnight, go for it. 180808 ScorcherZ Bonefish SD Bay SQ CROP.jpg

3. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Yep, pump it up, spray it down with a fabric conditioner and take it for a spin. That tube has two bladders and foam seats so you won't sink.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +526
    If you've got access to a nearby pool, give it a test run there to make sure it floats.

5. Fishferdayzzz

Ratings:
    +75
    thanks for the replies. Just pumped her up and it looks like she’s good to go! Don’t have a pool but imma just go give her it a test at some docks nearby. And never really thought about spraying it down with fabric conditioner will definitely do that!

6. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,375
    What does fabric conditioner do to a float tube? Just asking due to intrigue. Not really sure I wanna go down the "does that void the warranty" road.

7. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,311
    My buddy told me how it worked for him.
    I did it on an older Fish Cat that was faded and looked like it was about done. Except I used Armor All. It definitely brought some life back into the colors and also loosened up the zippers. I still have it as a backup and it still looks good. Definitely no need to do it on a tube still under warranty.

8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,375
    Does float tube color help with your fish catch count?:emoji_joy: If it does, I'm ArmorAll'ing all of my jazz right now ! Sorry.. just came to mind and sounded funny.

Zippers need loosening up? I'm on my 3rd saltwater season with my FC4D (114 days on the salt my first year alone).. good long rinses with water after each session help prevent stuck/rusted zippers or any other metal components. Keep rinsing !!!

Seems that applying ArmorAll or fabric conditioner to any float tube component could mean trouble is around the corner. ArmorAll isn't everything its sold to be.. Just seems like any chemical compounds in the fluids would - or at least could potentially break down fibers in the nylon skin - or harm the air bladders - or rubber/plastic valve caps, etc. ArmorAll dries out in direct sunlight just like anything else. Ask my last set of offroad tires how much ArmorAll helped out with that.:emoji_cry:

I dont know. I just worry about voiding warranties.. especially Outcast product warranties that are very specific.

9. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Just trying to help. I promise that my tubes have been put to the test. We not only fish the heck out of them but they also drag duck decoys around during hunting season. Outcast stands up to their product for sure and they are made to be abused.

10. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,375
    Copy that.

11. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,517
    i typically store my tubes with a little air...been a few times where i finally got to fish...spent the time getting ready and scouting spots..only to get to the lake and find out i got a tear on a seam....so now i always store with some air..not fully inflated because thats a good way to pop your tube when it gets hot...but just enough air to know that my tube is good to go...as far as your tube is concerned..if its holding air..its holding air..not sure weight on the water will make that much of a difference..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Fishferdayzzz

Ratings:
    +75
    tube was good to go! Used it for 3 hours at some of my fav docks and ended up with 38 bass and a baby hali. Pretty solid day

3C9E080F-7B74-40BE-9CC1-32F337AD119D.jpeg

13. carlsbadfly

carlsbadfly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +126
    Aerospace 303 for my tube and vintage Benz

14. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,375
    Right on. (?)