Sketchy experiences fishing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Local Spotty, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Local Spotty

Local Spotty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Name:
    SD Bass Kid
    Boat:
    None so far
    Hey guys. I wanted to have a post about people fishing in sketchy areas and have had funny stories about encounters with hobos, or other weird things. Thanks.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,893
    I've had bullets fly by me on two separate occasions while fishing. I've seen near collisions between kayakers and jetboats in mission bay many times. Once i saw someone capsize off the jetty and they had to be rescued by lifeguards. Fishing is relaxing, most of the time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,519
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    nothing funnier than this

velcro shoe.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,519
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    here is one of the members launching his boat for the first time

calicoocoo on his new boat.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,689
    At Lake Jennings a few decades ago I was fishing in a boat near the boat dock area. I heard some yelling and I turned about quickly when I heard a women screaming and saw this guy with her(boyfriend/husband?) throw her out of the boat. It was freaking crazy as the motor was on and the guy was going around her in circles trying to grab her and I was almost certain that the prop was going to slice her. He pulled her in and she was crying and Jerry(who worked there) just happened to be coming down in the golf cart and ran on to the dock. The guy was screaming at his girlfriend when they were tying the boat to the dock. Jerry started yelling at the guy and told him he was going to call the sheriff if he does not leave immediately. I think was guy was drunk and started giving Jerry crap like he wanted to fight. Jerry quickly grabbed a boat paddle and was ready to swing it at him and told him to leave again or he will knock him out. Telling the story does not sound like much...but if you were there it was really crazy!!!

6. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,864
    Not too much in the way of sketch, even given the areas of Mission Bay I like to frequent. Probably the worst I had was a dude dug a hole and crapped in it during low tide on the northish end of santa clara point. Below high water mark. And while I was ~50' away. Moment I noticed what was going down I made for another spot lol.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. 929nitro

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +273
    I was fishing the California channel at the river, heard the shotgun go off and then heard the pellets' land in the tules I was flipping....decided it was time to go somewhere else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,980
    One day when I was a kid, I went fishing with my family down on the creek. The road was the Arkansas/Louisiana border. My parents went upstream, because they did not have Louisiana licenses. I was underage for a license and wanted to try a hole my uncle who lived in Louisiana had shown me on the downstream side. My parents were fishing on Bodcaw Creek, but the creek magically changes names and becomes Bayou Bodcau in Louisiana. It was a good spot and before long I had a nice stringer of fish. I heard someone coming down the trail and looked up to see an obviously drunk guy with a fruit jar of clear liquid coming toward me. He tells me he need my fish, since he told his wife he was going fishing. If he didn't bring fish home she would think he was out drinking and playing cards. One look at his bloodshot eyes, and he would have trouble selling that one. I didn't want to give up my fish but he knew and I knew that he would leave there with them one way or the other. He said he didn't have any money left, but I could have what was left of his 'shine. After he left, I threw the jar away and joined my family upstream. I told them a big snapping turtle had pulled my stringer in the water.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • List
  9. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,770
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    I would like to think I can handle myself in most situations . Had 2 young men block my exit off the north stub jetty at OB dog beach , they claimed I was someone who had been there the night before and had done something they didn't approve of . Things heated up and voices got loud . I was very relieved when the spot lights of a SDPD patrol unit came on from the parking lot . Don't take incidents lightly , they may not end as well . WR

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Local Spotty

Ratings:
    +292
    Name:
    SD Bass Kid
    Boat:
    None so far

Damn! These are crazy! NibbleSquad and 929nitro, I am glad you guys are okay! Vinny, that was a good story too!

11. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,639
    Back when my fishing skills were limited, oh wait they are still limited... ok a number of years ago when I used to fish OB pier I decided to go out there early. Arrived around sunrise, summer, but the street lights were still on. Started down the pier from the street, gear in hand minding my own business. As I make my way on the pier I glance up and at the first bench I see a guy sitting on it facing out towards the water. He appeared to be homeless, and there was a woman kneeling at his feet facing him - head bobbing up and down.... no, I didn't see that and look down... keep walking and as I get closer I stupidly look up just in time to see her lean over the railing and empty/hurl. Yeeech - not a sight I want to see. Back to fishing - think fishing - just keep going down the pier. As I make my way near/past the cafe that woman approaches me on her bike and asks if I want to 'talk'. Yeah, sure - we can talk about bait and fishing. No thanks. Kept walking. There are some things one can't erase from memory unfortunately.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Local Spotty

Ratings:
    +292
    Name:
    SD Bass Kid
    Boat:
    None so far
    That might be something that shouldn't have been shared....

13. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,639
    It was sketchy no doubt. If there were implied limitations on what can or cannot be shared, sorry I crossed that line.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,519
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    watch out you may get reported to a mod lol.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,046
    In my younger days there were times dodging hiding in the bushes from security /police while fishing on golf courses at night

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Local Spotty

Ratings:
    +292
    Name:
    SD Bass Kid
    Boat:
    None so far
    That sounds fun

17. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,339
    About five years ago I had just gotten done fishing in la jolla when some lightly beer-gutted dudebro, couple young ladies in tow, came up to me asking a few questions about sea lions. Mainly he wanted to know if they were friendly and if you could pet them. I asked if he'd seen the signs at the stairs on top of the hill, the ones that say "DO NOT APPROACH SEA LIONS: THEY ARE WILD ANIMALS AND UNPREDICTABLE." He told me he had, but he wanted the 'real scoop'.
    "Ok," I said. "The real scoop is this: if you go up to one of those things, touch it, and it doesn't try to bite your hand off, I'll be pretty amazed."
    One of his lady friends chimed in saying "ohhh but he's so good with animals! You should see it!" I had a feeling I would.
    Of course, dudebro was immediately bolstered by this, deciding "I'm gonna go pet that one."
    The only thing he did right was avoiding the large nearby female with a few pups. Instead he went for a single young male. I heard David Attenborough narrating the guy's approach as the sea lion raised its head, then showed its chest in a threat display, then gave a loud warning bark. Dude stopped within 3 feet of the thing and it was clearly agitated, snorting and waving its head, but not backing down. I spoke up "yo man, that's like a final warning--" and the guy darted in, reaching for the lion's chest. I think his fingers even made contact right as its jaws tore into his hand. He yelled and jumped back, then ran, cursing up a storm, back to the ladies (who were in complete surprise and fear that something like this could have happened!) showing a big, deep gash ripped in the back of his hand. The girl who'd been mostly quiet asked what to do, and I told them getting to a hospital now might avoid the massive, nasty infection to follow. Luckily, they took off for their car straight away.

So how is this sketchy? I hear you asking. My own interpretation is this: I get pretty sketched out when I think about how some people are even stupider than that guy.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. Local Spotty

Ratings:
    +292
    Name:
    SD Bass Kid
    Boat:
    None so far
    ok. These posts don't have to be sketchy I just wanted to hear some funny stories while you guys were fishing.

19. Local Spotty

Ratings:
    +292
    Name:
    SD Bass Kid
    Boat:
    None so far
    But that guy with the sea lion might have been drunk. no person in their right mind would do such a stupid thing! That was crazy.

20. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    One day I got chewed out by Karen who said “fishing was torture” she called the cops on me for “trespassing” on the gloritta bay sea wall. The cops gave her a fine for trying to break one of my rods( thankfully it didn’t break). I made this meme on it

6C48D198-F9EC-4A4F-A932-9711C21841EB.jpeg