slow day on the big bay

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by carpkiller, Sep 17, 2019.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    stupid
    stupid
    stupid.
    20190917_083817[1].jpg
    Stayed up late saturday night making lures. Using harder plastic and a different microwave, can't get the power/time settings dialed in for a good even melt. Oh well, I'll just sleep in.

Missed the incoming tide in the a.m. and started fishing at high slack tide.

Couple guys who were there earlier got a lot more fish. Well, quicker anyway.

I was bouncing the usual plastics off the bottom, threw a spinnerbait a bit, and a new sinking lipless crankbait (on sale at Turner's in KM).

Stayed alllll daaaaay.
    Water was warm, not too windy, but the bite was slow.

27 fish...maybe a couple more, I may have miscounted while dozing and drooling in the early afternoon. No spinnerbait action...1 on the new crankbait....the rest on ScorcherZ.

All spotties. From dinks to a couple of nice fat 13 inch fish....the ones with the thick tails and Easter Island chunkasaurus faces. But no exotics and nothing big. Farmed a micro halibut at the boat.

Beats doin' yard work.

#1 carpkiller, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  2. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,204
    You shouldn’t be allowed to post slow day then proceed to say you caught 27 lol. It is “slow” for San Diego Bay but you were successful regardless. I’ll take your slow sesh anyday....Thumbs up!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,637
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    The harder the plastic the harder it is to heat in a microwave without burning. You should try heating it in stages and stirring as often as possible. Be sure to use a heat stabilizer additive.

4. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,637
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    The harder the plastic the harder it is to heat in a microwave without burning. You should try heating it in stages and stirring as often as possible. Be sure to use a heat stabilizer additive.

5. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,937
    You’re not foolin me CK. You the Man...

6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,710
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Like Mogambo knows anything about plastics.. sheesh... Kidding.. fishing that one spot by your house on Friday I think (just saying). Should be absolutely insane. Targets from Tilapia, to cats and carp and striper. Even bringing an LMB guy with me, so who knows, all hell could break loose...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,637
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Afternoon winds have kept things really cool......at least from what they were.

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,710
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Highs Friday through Sunday under 100.. last I heard, the annual fish kill in that reservoir hasn't happened this year due to consistent wind this summer?

9. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,921
    i took my nephew in law tubing. He had never fished the bay, never caught a spotty, and never been in a float tube before. he showed up with a super microlite rod too. He caught 14 spotties in 5 hours all while never taking his face and thumbs away from his cell phone

10. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,637
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    That and the fact the reservoir was used much more for its designed purpose this summer as water was constantly being pumped out and dumped into the reservoir as the Willey Reservoir was taken out of service to remove the buildup of silt (65,000 yards). The Willey is now back in service but IID still continues to store and pump out the other reservoir. Three days ago the reservoir was practically pumped dry but yesterday it was about half full and only one pump operating to transfer water out of the reservoir. (25 cfs). I believe this will continue since the idiots at IID filled the Willey in only ten days after it came back into service and will now need to back water out of the system by utilizing your favorite reservoir of choice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,710
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Thanks for the heads up, Mogambo .. I appreciate it immensely. Hope the draw down didn't kill too many. Have high hopes for Friday...