Slow rolling powerbait

Discussion in 'Trout' started by Rodmaster858, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Rodmaster858

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,361
    Has anyone tried enticing trout to bite by slow rolling powerbait?
    Ive been trying this technique out most recently, and has been getting good results!
    So what I have notice, is that trout either bite on : reaction, curiosity, and or hunger.
    I theorize that the trout are more than likely to eat the moving bait vs idle.
    Theres a fine line between how fast you move the bait, however I let you guys figure that out .
    The theory is that by moving the bait, its giving off more scent vs idle. Therefore increasing the chances for
    a trout to smell the bait and entice a hunger strike. By moving and casting the powerbait in front of them and
    moving it a little, in theory, entices a reaction strike. Just like jigging a mini jig in front of its face.

like always I like making videos to better enhance the story im trying to portray.

I also wanted to say, its been a pleasure talking with you guys on this forum. I learned a lot from all you guys, and I always want to give back by making videos/ reports. time goes by so fast! just realized ive been making videos for 5 years now! anyways, thanks for the support

- Rodney

2. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Name:
    Kenny
    I've had some luck with it in the Sierras but hasn't been my go-to. Always worth changing up if the bite is slow though. That said, I have incredible luck with mice tails on C rig bait and wait with no action on it so go figure!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. PwerHaus

PwerHaus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85
    I slow roll my own variation of a mice tail with a nymph hook, power ball, and trout worm of choice with a split shot. It allows contact with the bottom while keeping the bait off the ground. As I let the boat drift, it knocks around and the worm wiggles. Works well for me on shore too. sDdeRg5.jpg

#3 PwerHaus, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  4. landman10

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +451
    I have found catch ratio for me is around 4-1 for the slow troll, give or take. Night crawler and combonation of the two work good also.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Rodmaster858

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,361
    nice ! variation of your mice tail! Yeah I had luck slow drifting mice tails before , shoot even, powerworms with a size 10 mosquito hook work well too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,731
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    5yrs!! I think I’ve seen them all!! Very informative as always. I love your attitude on fishing. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +912
    Woah now you're digging deep into my chest of trout tricks. It definitely works on stockers, I've done well at multiple socal lakes slow retrieving powerbait. Works for nightcrawlers too, make em earn that name.

8. PwerHaus

PwerHaus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Any tackle shops down here that may have more troutish/panfish stuff? Tried turners and dicks. The landings just have salt gear and few bass tackle.

9. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Name:
    Kenny
    East County Bait and Tackle is good. Walmart and Big 5 have everything you need for trout and pan fish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. xman

xman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Many years ago when Mirimar stocked trout I caught a 7 pounder slow trolling power bait on the way back to the dock. Back then the slow wind with power bait and a casting bubble was the best method for catching lots of trout.

11. Rodmaster858

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,361
    Heck yeah! i remember my dad taught me that long time ago at the very lake!