SMB Conditions 7/20

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by perch killer, Jul 20, 2021.

1. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,806
    06:15 - 08:15 am. Been off the sand since my last skunk at SMB a week ago. Wanted to fish the large trough area found last week for hopefully at least a perch or YFC to get on the kotb board. Arrive to find 3 folks fishing the spot with 5 rods spread out covering around 50 yards from the south edge of the trough up to the north side. No wiggle room. Conditions were about as good as I've seen this summer - - no salad in the water or wash zone, 1 - 2' waves, little current. Unfortunately, no fish either, not a bite nor even a perch nibble in 2 hours. Also, no visible sc beds, surprisingly, at least to me. My salted/frozen BW's & frozen sc leftovers were not on the menu for any takers. Spoke to one of the anglers working the trough on his way out; said all were using mussels but he had no bites while the other 2 folks, a couple who I've seen on the beach many times with their rolling cooler box, got into a few, what looked like small shovel noses or rays and a small to mid size croaker. So, with another skunk; looks like will need to go to plan B next time out which will be some place other than MB.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59,377
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Plenty of beans farther north.... Thanks for the report

3. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,806
    So I found out. Strained a knee a week ago so my roaming the beach has been curtailed for the time being.

4. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,096
    All the beaches that appear in good condition are void of fish, especially perch. !!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. jjdbike

jjdbike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +147
    Well that stinks.
    Does that mean we need to try to work through the salad etc on beaches that don’t appear to be in good conditions to potentially pick a fish or two?
    Perhaps they’re focused on & tight and o hard structure?
    Perhaps the full moon on the way for this weekend & grunion might stimulate a bite?
    JD

6. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,096
    Your guess is as good as mine. It’s very frustrating to fish with salad, which I’m sure you’re aware of, I don’t know anyone who’d tolerate it just to try and get lucky.