Smoked Salmon questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chris cox, Aug 9, 2017.

1. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +140
    locally here we have white alder, in the pacific northwest there is a lot of red alder.
    that's the wood i use for smoking salmon. Tuna and Turkey i use blocks of hickory, mesquite for pork and beef.
    170-180 degrees is what you want for fish, my tuna are copy of what Mario Ghio , past owner of sportmans seafood near seaforth has. still family ran , to me he was the godfather of smoked fish.
    famous Mario's tuna jerky.
    its a great hobby , and a nice way to share your catch.
    tight lines

2. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +140
    its the way to control temperature with out a dampener there is a pan of water above the charcoal to maintain the moisture.

3. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,102
    Sorry but the moisture is gone from the wood within 5 minutes. Soaking has been debunked scientifically. The only way to get the wood to hold enough water to make a differnce is to soak the under extreme pressure. Otherwise just soaking only gets enough water to steam your meat for around 5 minutes. If you dont have a damper you control the fuel instead. Soaking wood does nothing other then steam your meat for a few minutes when it should be taking in smoke.

#23 Medicated fisherman, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017