So it’s not like YouTube. Carlsbad lagoon & surf fishing

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Spaagnu, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Spaagnu

Spaagnu Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Name:
    PJ
    We always complain about instagrammers, YouTube “stars” and “influencers” portraying a fake life but I think we just fell for it.

We decided to fish after watching countless hours of YouTube videos with dudes fishing. Fish here fish there “fish on the line!” So many fish fish fish. It looked like a boat load of fun. Not having a boat, it seemed like we could find some fun in the surf and lagoon.

Well, 5 days out and 16+ hours later NOT EVEN A NIBBLE!!!

But I’ve thrown $20+ worth of crap into the water.

I’m starting to think this is all a hoax and just a huge scam there are no fish in the sea!!!

So we’re using number 2 and 4 bait hooks, tried some minnow lure I saw some guy using and catching fish after fish in the surf, lost that (I’ve learned a better knot since) this white wiggly little plastic grubs, octopus, shrimps, the red shrimp things, tried 4 different halibut lure kit things with bait - tangled mess. Using a 1/4 oz with a cute little shad pre hooked thing that looks so real an egret wanted to eat it, tried 1oz Carolina rig in the surf it goes on.

Fishing in the lagoon next to pch high tide and low tide, surf fished terra mar Saturday from 5:30am till like 9:30 in rising tide and today we went out from 1-4pm with the tide dropping to.01 at the lagoon.

So... are there even fish out there?

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,741
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Look, if you have water, fish are in it, and maybe a lot more fish than you think. This sounds to me like you need to learn the water, if anything..

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  3. Spaagnu

Spaagnu Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Name:
    PJ
    Well if 20 years of surfing hasn’t taught me the water it sounds hopeless at this point!

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,741
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    What are you looking for to cast at? What do you feel is holding the fish? Ever try sunrise or sundown?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,115
    Are you fishing structure?

6. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,114
    Name:
    Kyle
    Keep it simple to start out. Use bait and skip artificials for now. I like uncooked head on shrimp from Zions for 3.99 a pound. If you want to catch little Corbin’s, you can always try the pile worms at the bait shop. Use smaller hooks from shore. Like a 6. I fish with 1-3oz of weight depending on tide. Incoming tide during the evening. Anything I am missing Coach Werfless

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Fritzy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,186
    Im going out on a limb and saying youre doing something wrong....sorry couldnt help that! Try the Carolina rig with sand crabs,raw shell on shrimp or mussels in the surf. Try walking down the beach looking for a rip( you surf so you know what that looks like) and cast out to the edges of that. Try fishing an incoming tide in the AM. Good luck! PS maybe drop down a size or two on the weight and leave at least 24 “ of line from the hook upward. Try reeling in untill you feel resistance then back off just a tad. Then reel in VERY slowly,like half a turn at a time then let the line go slack. As far as the lures go if its really turbulent and the water isnt clear they may not work as well. Try dropping the line in after the last wave in a set!

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,741
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    You hit the high points, kyle12345 .. I would go lighter, in general, honestly. I don't use anything much heavier than a spark plug. To me, lighter is good. Let that bait drift, errors or not...

9. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,323
    Maybe there are no more fish in the sea and that love of your life that you met sometime ago will be your last.....Or maybe you're doing something wrong and listen to these guys and adapt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Fisher not a catcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +173
    I am in no way an expert yet, but I have made rapid gains this summer. I think we have all been there at some point. I was definitely there a couple months ago. I had taken a 5 year break from fishing and forgot everything. I had gone out 5 times in a row and nothing, not even a bump. These guys on the forum got me straightened out.

Def go lighter on the line. I think most people do as light as 4 lb and heavy as 12lb. I like to be in the middle with an 8lb leader. I usually only do 1/2 to 3/4 egg or bullet sinker. Carolina rig. Go smaller on the hook. Size 6 mosquito. Pick the black ones so the fish don't see it as easily. Go buy some blood worms from Pacific bait and Tackle. You will not get skunked with live blood worms. Just rip about 2 inches off and stick him on the 6 hook.

If you can find them, sand crabs stacked on the hook have worked for me too. Try to hide as much of the hook as possible, even if it means putting 3 or 4 crabs on together. Poke them from the underside near the tail and have the hook come out the back and stack them on.

Fish the rips or any pocket of deep water between the breakers. Look for darker water. Brown sandy water is more shallow.

Stay mobile. Best thing K-Bo Smack taught me was don't stay in one place more than 3-5 casts or 5-10 mins, move 20 yards down and try again. Once you pull one out in an area, there might be more so hit it again a few times before moving.

Really important, don't feel like your bait has to stay in one place. Let it flow with the waves. If you cast out and it gets pulled right back to you, that's ok as long as you keep the slack out while its moving or else you will miss the bite. I have lost count of the times I cast out and the line immediately gets pulled to my right or left almost parallel with the beach, but then a fish strikes in the wave. When I first started, I thought I had to put on a 2 ounce weight and make the bait sit in one spot. You don't have to so just let it roll with the waves naturally and the fish will find it if they are there.

I have 2 setups I have been using. 8'6" lamiglass X-11 with Daiwa BG 4000 reel with 30lb J-Braid (might be a little heavy, could probably do 20 lb too) to a 1/2 egg sinker with a clear or dark red bead (I was told stay away from the bright beads, they might scare the fish away) then barrel swivel and 8lb flouro leader to #6 mosquito hook.

The other setup I just used is a 10 ft fish eagle casting rod with an Abu Garcia Revo Toro baitcaster, 30lb braid to 20 lb flouro topshop (about a rods length) via alberto knot then 1/2 egg sinker and bead to barrel swivel and 8lb flouro leader to #6 mosquito hook.

Both rods are salmon rods with a 1/4-1 ounce ratings. I like the whippy sensitivity and I feel like they cast nicely.

11. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    I am not in love w Carlsbad, surf side or lagoon. Back when I thought I had surf and bay fishing figured out I never had any really good days at Carlsbad. Throwing ghost shrimp worked at IB OB MB TP Coronado and both bays...but not Carlsbad. Had a couple great days on the lagoon side...but more often, it was slow.

12. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,683
    Name:
    Keath
    This past season I've helped everyone from my 82 yr old father-in-law to a 7 yr old vacationing beach kid catch a fish from the surf. I would be happy to meet with you and help fast-track a hook-up.

13. BrianSD

BrianSD Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Name:
    Brian
    They're definitely out there but it can be hit or miss. Caught a short hali and 3 sand bass in the lagoon on Friday and 2 mackerel in the surf across the street by tower 33 Friday evening. Caught another short hali Saturday morning in the surf closer to tower 32 with no bites at all last night.

70902307_10157637793101613_1024801105453776896_n.jpg

71041093_10157633323396613_4895269312979271680_n.jpg

71087295_10157637793486613_6347421837638500352_n.jpg

14. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,683
    Name:
    Keath
    Yes, on both sides of the 101. I went and checked this morning.

Lagoon side - caught at 08:57 on a simple C-rig.
    IMG_20190930_085749.jpg

Ocean side - caught at 09:41 on the same simple C-rig.
    IMG_20190930_094135.jpg

15. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,322
    Maybe pick up golf or something ???

16. Smokey

Smokey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278
    K-Bo Smack, it's refreshing to know there are people like you who will help teach a person
    how to have fun doing what we like to do. Matter of fact, I may have to take you up on it sometime.

17. Pinoyfisher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +778
    Name:
    Mike
    Toss out some shrimp on either a Carolina rig or a dropper loop on a size 6 Mosquito hook, light line (6-10lb test) and as light as possible sinker to help you hold the bottom. Stay away from artificials until you can master the aforementioned. Fishing bait is relatively easy and will, 9 times out 10, illicit a bite in the surf before a lure does.

When fishing artificials. you gotta keep moving, cover lots of water. With bait, you can stay in one spot longer as the scent from the bait will draw in fish. It's fishing, enjoy all that it entails, not just the catching as that isn't always guaranteed.

18. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    I know Coach likes to chum, also. Not sure of the details, but sounds like something worth trying.

19. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,741
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    He would need to come fishing with me... Then I see how long it takes to get the light bulb to turn on....

20. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,423
    Name:
    Eric
    You figured it out...fishing is all a rouse. We all buy fish from the market and hook them for pictures.

Seriously though, just keep at it. Fish the rips at the beaches or look for hard structure. Try simple bait on a hook, shrimp on a c-rig or something.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List