So, was Mission Bay Fishing better back in the day??

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by CraigSmith, Nov 27, 2022.

1. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,060
    Some old photos I acquired. I wonder what fishing was like when this was mostly marshland?

Giant Dipper Coaster 1946 or 1948. Water area middle left eventually became Bonito Cove. The horizontal thumb looking area was filled in.

Belmont Park 1946_r2.jpg

Mission Bay under development sometime before 1950. Dredging started in the late 1940s. The jetties were in place by mid 1950, if not completed. Note bridge between OB and Mission point. Long gone.

Mission Bay after 1950_annotated.jpg

Crystal Pier, PB. 1950. Anyone here have relatives that invested in property in the area?

Pacific Beach in 1950.jpg

#1 CraigSmith, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  2. Vito1023

Vito1023 Vito
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,739
    My family owned 1959 the first corner across from the pier an Italian restaurant called Paisanos the road in front of the pier was open to traffic and cars cruising by, we also own owned our first restaurant right where the parking lot in front of OB pier, I watch them build that every day wondering how they pored the concrete in the forms they build without water seeping in it was pretty cool I still don’t understand how they do it. I wasn’t into fishing back then I’m a rock n roller but my broth would fish the pier and several times caught some big sharks, not sure what kind but I was amazed a couple of good size one.
    Those were the days my friends

3. Bwood

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +362
    Boat:
    BW
    My grandpa used to tell stories about fishing the harbor/marsh back in the day. Based on his stories I believe the fishing was worse pre-harbor than peaked after the harbor was completed, but sill better than the marsh lands pre-harbor. Not sure how much attention was really paid to the harbor fish. Outside is another story. Lots of stories around rowing boats outside harbor and catching yellows and WSB. All day. “Piggies” would not stay off the Dacron lines, marlin lures outside of PL and were treated like trash fish.

4. YNW_FISHY

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,279
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    I heard the roosters used to school up back in the day

5. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,788
    That bridge must be at the rock pile outside of the channel now.
    Looks like it connected Mission Blvd to Chamberlain St.???
    Thanks for posting - old pics like these are always interesting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. YNW_FISHY

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,279
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    What would it be like fishing the surf 1,000 years ago. If you had all of todays equipment. Would you absolutely hammer them? I imagine so. Thoughts?

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +64,634
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Bobber loves this stuff. The stringers of WSB hauled off that bridge once upon a time were pretty hefty in the old pix I saw somewhere. My grandfather always told me that steelhead fishing is "easy"... just use a strip of gum wrapper on a hook and catch a smelt, hook the smelt on live and toss it out in the river channel... Yeah, saw one local steelhead caught in my life, sure as hell wasn't out of the SDR...

• Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Did you old timers wait 6 months to submit your WSB reports to the town paper or was it in a more timely manner?

9. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,865
  10. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,882
    I did the plumbing on the OB pier when they first built it. They drove pilings, not forms, and prefab slabs between and poured concrete over the slabs. A huge storm came through and destroyed the plumbing hanging of the side and the railings on top. I heard that engineered the height for a 50 year storm average instead of a100 yr.My grand father owned the cleaners on the main drag about a block up from the sea wall. I used to go with him to work, he would let me off at the bait shop by the jetty and pick me up on the way home from work, I could fish all day and just hang out. Good old days, oh to be a kid today, also I have a pic of me in 1958 with a limit of ducks shot at lake Murray. I remember hunting dove around the lake after work with my dad

11. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,410
    Boat:
    It floats
    Wild. My dad was part of the construction mission bay.

12. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,060
    The current pier I presume. Not the one shown here
    https://www.johnfry.com/pages/PhotoRozelle40.html

13. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,882
  14. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,060
    Its an older pier structure at the foot of Del Monte. Not the current structure. Don't know when it was torn down or collapsed.

15. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,466
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Long time PB family . 1948 . Aunt and uncle 859 Wilbur street , Grandfather 1958 , 1404 law street . Grand Parents lived in La Jolla before Law street . I was always told Crystal pier had a dance hall out on the end prior to a big storm . As a child when fishing there the broken pilings from a wide end on the pier were visible . I do remember when I was in High school all the area to the east of mission blvd . Except along Mission was un developed , just sand no parks . We used to ride dirt bikes out where Sea worlds parking lot is now . The bridges on Ingram were narrow wood pile bridges a good friend , Jerry Bales and his girlfriend were killed graduation night 1971 in a head on just out of Crown point , Peace be to your ashes Jerry and Trish . Thanks for the memories . Cool post .

#15 William Ritchie, Nov 28, 2022
  16. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,865

Sheesh

upload_2022-11-28_16-52-56.png

17. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,788
    monthly payment was probably the price when first sold.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,466
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    . I remember my aunt and uncle had a hard time paying off the $ 4500 purchase price they paid after WW2 both were Convair employees . Sold for about 260,000 after they passed in the mid 1980s .

#18 William Ritchie, Nov 28, 2022
  19. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,410
    Boat:
    It floats
    I used to hear stories of riding on the beaches. My bro used to ride his Elsinore from El Cajon to the beach - all off road. He did it a few times from alpine but said it was trickier. Those must have been THE DAYS!

20. Vito1023

Vito1023 Vito
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,739
    I remember that PLUMBING hanging on the side but I kind of remember them pouring concrete into those pillars and in my memories wrong.
    I remember across from my family’s restaurant place called maintenance and they sold spaghetti specials on Wednesday for something like $.25 or something like that and then be a line all way down the street, my friends and I would play in mission valley area now all bridges and mall none of it was there. By the way Has anybody thought about all those bridges and freeways over the mission valley area which is mostly sandy dirt one in Earthlite does come remember San Francisco this could be a repeat.