Some like it hot...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by mcfish, Aug 27, 2021.

1. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,989
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    ..But not the fish so much! I Fished out in them thar hills..pretty toasty out there! Got to the lake at sunrise, checked out my normal topwater spots..nothing! I went to my dropshot and worked some of my deeper spots that have produced some nice fish..not today. I saw a fish busting bait on the shore, threw a fluke on it, fish on..3 seconds later, fish off! Back to the dropshot, still nothing..strange! Once the sun got above the mountains, some topwater started going off, brought out the fluke again and picked off a couple pretty quick! The higher the sun got, the pickier the fish got. It looked like they were feeding on some real small bait fish, definitely not shad, maybe silversides! I didn't bring my tiny flukes so I brought out a small Kastmaster to try to match the hatch. I picked up a couple by casting beyond the breakers and bringing it back through them! I saw another fish chasing shad up to the bank, so I flipped a fluke on top of it, fish on, fish landed! I added another decent fish on an underspin and that was pretty much it! Never did get a fish on a dropshot, they seemed very baitfish oriented today. I think the fish are pretty worn out from the hot water and constant bluebird skies! Most of the fish chasing bait on top were mostly on the small side! I'm ready for fall and some cooler temps...so are the fish! 20210827_134731.jpg 20210827_074224.jpg 20210827_123938.jpg nice crowds..fair weather friends...

#1 mcfish, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  2. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,966
    I am so sorry that I could not make it......I just could feel that it was going to be very slow fishing and just too dang hot(although it did not stop me from going out to ECBT while the A/C was blasting cool air in my face in my truck). Then on the way home, picked up lunch and ate it inside Deb's nice and cool condo. Basically 90% of the whole day was spent inside places of coolness.
    Heck...I did not even think of going to Murray or the SD River, so instead I just ordered more stuff online from Tackle Warehouse while enjoying the comforts of air conditioning.
    Hey mcfish......you are the Man! Going out in this heat and staying out there till 1 is amazing! Sorry it was a tough bite, and actually I missed the fact that I did not fish today or even recently.
    Bring on the fall!
    Thanks for sharing and glad you did not melt. :)

#2 VinnyBass, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,915
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Heard a ten was caught in the IV a couple days ago.. no idea how reliable it was, did see a picture I didn't think I have seen before

4. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,143
    Boat:
    Yes
    Even in the heat, you found some mcfish . I'll be out there till I melt today. Hope to catch a few at least. Thanks for the report and pics! Tight lines always.

5. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,989
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    That is a monster for the IV!!

6. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,989
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Hopefully the breeze will come up for you..makes it feel like only 104.......

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +28,376
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Pretty good total! Those shore feeders can save the day!

Much better than I did in the Harbor, though it was much cooler down there. Drifted the deep channel for maybe 10 fish with four of us in the boat. Saw a kelp charter fishing in the bay! Weird! Pretty sure the boat was the Jig Skipper. Fishing back off the Midway. Maybe a bunch of seasick-prone guys chartered it. I actually got a little uncomfortable... it was Rough!!!

Edit : Forgot to mention the drain hose to my bait tanks broke right the hull. Cut our trip short. Thankful for a working bilge pump!

8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,966
    I just finishing cleaning out part of my pond(9:57a.m) and that is the closest I came to a fish in a while...ha ha
    It will be hotter this afternoon, but for now I am sweating so much I think I helped water the yard between the pond and the house. Still can't believe you stayed till 1pm mcfish. Hope it cools off soon!

9. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,143
    Boat:
    Yes
    It was 100 when I left today at 11:00AM Breeze just started coming up when I left...Caught 6 nice ones, 5 on Flukes busting the surface and one on a weightless Senko, green pumpkin black flake. Fun morning!

10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,915
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Big fish anywhere I would think. Heard it was taken on an Amazon swimbait...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,989
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Great job! I knew as much as you loved frogs, I knew you would master flukes! A fun bait once you get the hang of them, and you're on your way! I had a feeling yesterday when they started busting with the bluebird skies, that you would get some action today! Fun times!

12. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,989
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I love fishing the bay! I kind of fish it the way I fish a lake, a lot of weed beds, pilings, and towers ...haven't spent much time fishing the deep channel. I've had to rely on a bilge pump a couple times, kind of scary!

13. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,143
    Boat:
    Yes
    Thanks!! Yes, I love my frog...and threw one early on...no takers. Then I thought of YOU and Flukes...Now I love flukes. :emoji_slight_smile: