Some Questions About Bishop/Owens River Area Fishing

Discussion in 'Trout' started by 5-20, Sep 25, 2019.

1. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Seems like I'll visit the Eastern Sierras during the second week of October on my way to Yosemite. Will be my first time in that area and at Yosemite.

I'm not much of a trout fisherman. In fact, I never fish for trout except once every 10 years or so, but imma gonna give it my best shot. I think I'll use 395 going up there so I can spend at least one day fishing the Bishop area.

I've been doing a bunch of reading and found some really good info about fishing in that area. I think I'm probably going to fish either the Upper Owens River, maybe Convict Lake or Crowley Lake. I'm not really sure yet.

I think I would really prefer to target a big brown. I don't have any fly equipment. I'll bring an UL rod with #4 fluoro and some bass gear for the big browns.

I am almost halfway thinking about bringing my SUP so I can paddle out there and make a few casts. Are SUPs allowed on Crowley or Convict or are those float tube only lakes? I kind of feel like it would be more hassle than its worth and I'll probably just leave it behind. I think I will probably just hoof it around Convict or the Upper Owens River.

Any recommendations for swimbaits or areas I might want to check out for a nice sized brown? Thanks. PMs accepted if you don't want to share any information publicly.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,771
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    My expertise ends right about in that area you are talking about. If you would consider things a bit farther south, let me know...

3. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Thanks! I saw that there's smallies in the lower owens river below Crowley. I'm kinda tempted by the idea of trying for those fish. Maybe on the way back down if I have the time.

4. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +721
    Crowley is in its special regulation season. Fly and lure single hook only must be barbless. The smallies and large mouth are in the lower Owens south of Bishop. All the waters mentioned will have trout ranging from trophy to stocker. Pick your poison really. Small floating rapalas in the lower Owens (below PVR) is always fun.

5. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Thanks, I've read that the bugs can get pretty thick around the lower owens during certain times of the year. Any idea about how bad it might be in October?

6. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +526
    If you take the SUP, be aware that Crowley can get very windy in the afternoons. Be safe!

7. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +721
    It has been a bad mosquito year...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Dylan 101

Dylan 101 Dylan 101
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,017
    Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    wish I had 1
    The chance of getting a trophy bass is very small. Convict is good for big trout.

9. Bigpondonly

Bigpondonly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Was up there 2 weeks ago, mosquitoes are gone, there has been enough chilly nights. SUP at Grant lake. Big Browns are coming up out of the deeper water as the lakes cool down, and they are on the chew!!! Rush creek also.
    As you are heading north on 395, right as you come into Bishop, turn right at the big propane tanks. Will take you to access point on the Owens River. Or go east on Line St off 395. Lots of places there. Or Benton Crossing. Google earth and scout!!!
    https://sierradrifters.com/closerlook/

10. Bigpondonly

Bigpondonly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +84
    I'm headed up there again next week (3rd-7th) Going to hike up out of Mosquito flats to little lakes valley and possibly up above Saddlebag for some Golden's. If it's too chilly i'll come back down to Owens and/or Rock creek. Youtube search the areas you want to go check out. there's a **** ton of info out there, Good luck brother!!!

11. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Thanks!!! Appreciate all of the suggestions!

12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,375
    I'm in this waaay late.. but I'll tell you this.. at some point in your life, take some time and get into fly fishing. Once you've arrived there and all the pieces of the puzzle start falling into place, you'll fall in love with it. Wild trout LOVE flies because insects are what wild trout want. Very few wild trout are caught on hardware.

Fly fishing will change your life. Think that cant be true? Please feel free to come out with me and fly fish anytime you want - fresh or saltwater - so you can experience it first hand.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Thanks, appreciate it. I’ll probably eventually try fly fishing at some point. Fishing is still changing my life every time I go out though. :)