Someday, soon I hope

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Roy Justice, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    I keep imagining these words will soon come true. Announcing the Re Opening of San Vicente reservoir for fishing. Wehn it does this will be one of the first places I try to find but it won't be easy since the tree on top will probably be 20 feet under water.
    Still I expect it o be a Crappie Holiday inn. Anybody else anxiously waiting for San V to reopen?
    dansbass005.jpg

2. bluegill_guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +105
    I'm really looking forward to it, too! San Vicente was a pretty good bluegill lake (haven't been there in many years, recently moved back to SD after being away for a couple decades), totally looking forward to wetting a line there again!

When I look at the dam raise schedule and it says open to recreation will be late 2014 to late 2017 (depending on how long it takes to fill) even the near side of that estimate feels like it will take forever :p

3. barryf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +159
    I grew up with a monster stuffed carp that my father caught at San V in the early 80's. I remember it being as big as my torso.

Will San V mimic El Cap in it's conflicts with recreational boating and fishing? Just started fishing last year, so I know nothing about its past.

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,860
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Yes, unless something changes. That is the way it was. Back then I was one of the bothersome wake boarders. Now I look forward to fishing it.

The dam is really high!

5. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    The recreational boaters never bothered me at San V, The area around the island was pretty deep right off the bank so most of my big gills and redears came just a few yards off the bank, and back in Kimball there was a no wake sign so they didn't go back into that area much. The Aqueduct arm was another area that was off limits too. No the lake will be huge and I am sure we will be able to find a place to get away plus there will be so much new water to explore I can't wait.
    This is another one of my favorite Gill holes. The sandy banks were loaded with clams, probably one reason why the shellcrackers were so big
    dansbass002.jpg

6. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    People who take advantage of this time, and the technology of Google Earth will slay em when the lake reopens.

I miss San Vee too!

7. III

III
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +52
    Roy agree with you completely all the old spots will be under water. But I did mark plenty of of gps spots with my fish finder and also took plenty of pics of land s pots which should great spots to fish now since the water level. Roy now you got my san v blood pumping again.

8. Cumura

Cumura Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Omg I been waiting for this thread can't wait 8) it's gonna be a zoo lol no more dvl for me beside to chase the jailbirds can't wait.tight lines

9. Str8t Slabaronies

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +870
    Me Me Me!!!

I'm very interested Buddy...lets make a date...Me and you like old times.

We can meet at the crack of dawn on opening day and I'll bring the usual...motor, troll motor, fish finder, batteries...you bring your Kencor & the Nip! :wink:

Here's some old San V pics I dug up...

Trout

sanvtrout4.jpg

Redear

sanvredear4.jpg

Crappies

sanvcrappie4.jpg

Bullgills

sanvblugills4.jpg

Where else in SD can you catch all 4 species in one day?

I can't wait!

sanvcatch24.jpg

10. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,570
    So if I ask my smart phone for directions to the Crappie Holiday Inn, it should take me right there, right?

Nice pictures Roy M. When SanV reopens will you start posting reports again?

11. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    Will he start posting reports? probably not right at first, mainly because we have to relearn the lake so I doubt he will be doing any public service announcements right away. Absolutely I will have the fishing tea and fishing coffee jugs ready to go and who knows maybe a bottle of old number 7 too.

I remember that day, everything was biting just trolling circles around in Kimball.
    BTW you should have said where can you get 5 or even 6 species in one day Most of the bass released so we never have pics of them except this one, sanvbass.jpg
    but there are lots of nice ones in the mix too.
    My catch included
    coppernose bluegill, bluegill, channel cats, red ear and black nosed crappie
    SanVslam.jpg
    Blue cat
    dansbass004.jpg
    edsgill-1.jpg
    IMG_3072_edited.jpg
    The tree house
    dansbass003-1.jpg
    dansbass001.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    06_17_3.jpg
    FISH003.jpg
    06_18_0.jpg

12. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    and one more. I think these were my first deep water redears. Both came off a rocky point from 40 feet deep at the entrance to Aqueduct arm
    What was amazing is I had 4lb test on my 4'6" kencor and it took a long time to battle them to the surface. It really created a burning desire to probe the depths to find there jumbo redears again
    Redear-2.jpg

13. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    San V is the best lake in SD period! It was great rain or shine winter through fall. You could alway find a place to hang out and catch what ever you were after. And it was a very under rated Trout lake. Both my kids cut their teeth their learning how to reel in fish trolling for trout back in North Bay and Barona arm! Please reopen soon

14. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +683
    With the way these videos show progress, it should be finished in no time! lol

<a class="postlink" href="http://cipcam.sdcwa.org/clients/common/timelapse.php?info=JmlkPTI=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cipcam.sdcwa.org/clients/common/ ... o=JmlkPTI=</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://cipcam.sdcwa.org/clients/common/timelapse.php?info=JmlkPTE=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cipcam.sdcwa.org/clients/common/ ... o=JmlkPTE=</a>

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: (but I guess I'll have to...... :cry: )

15. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    very cool videos, thanks for posting that

16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,860
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Very interesting to watch the shadows lengthen with the seasons. A bunch of storms like the one today would be nice.
    Fill that thing!

17. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    I was watching the tall crane swat the dam like it was swatting flies

18. JJbasser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,830
    super cool videos. thanks. come on rain. for barrett too. 8)

19. Str8t Slabaronies

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +870
    Larry - I would love to post report like I used too but the problem is that the crappie bite in SD county is not what it used to be...not at all.

You used to be able to get into a good crappie bite @ 4 or 5 different lakes at the same time but not now. The bite has been very selective to just certain lakes and then in just certain areas.

(BTW) I still can't believe I haven't fished El Cap in over 2 years.

Anyways...excellent bites still do exist...

Like this place last summer...on FIRE!!!

photobucket-6700-1344343568076.jpg

Produced numbers like this...

photobucket-1908-1344343523298.jpg

Quality like this...

photobucket-16134-1344860788896.jpg

When San V reopens it will be like Roy J said...I'll have to re-learn the lake myself so no reports on it for a minute.

20. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I don't want to be the bad guy here at all. Has anyone ever thought that maybe the fish are not there any longer from being taken out of the lake and not giving them time to reproduce to the numbers and sizes they use to be. It happened at many bass lakes until catch and release became popular? I am not saying to "not" catch and keep, just be more selective each time you go out.