Someday, soon I hope

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Roy Justice, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    When it comes to crappie, the answer is no, it has nothing to do with that.
    people have been harvesting crappie for ages and if anything the bite keeps getting better, but crappie are cyclical. They disappear from time to time and then re emerge in huge numbers. The case with EC is the water level was low for many years and the fish had a pattern of schooling enmasse and roaming over the flats chasing shad. Then the water level increased dramatically and flooded the north end miles and miles further up the canyon flooding so much cover the fish developed a new pattern of exploring the virgin waters in such thick cover it was impossible to find them among the brush and trees. The consequences are when water levels drop and they migrate back out into the open waters it will be game on again with a real chance at that 3lb+

2. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Good to know, thanks.

3. crappiemike

crappiemike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130

4. Siebler

Siebler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is the thread it took to get me back making a post here for the first time in years.

I remember drooling over the Roy's posts of pig panfish, Miss those days!

If San V reopens before I move to Idaho I want a backseat with one of you! You can then invite yourself to come fish Walleye and Crappie with me after I get out of this state!

My best memory of San V may actually be fishing trout on the dam buoy line. Amazing bite on those dark pink meated rainbows with jigging spoons in about 50' of water on the kayak. Had a ton of awesome days at that lake but still remember that one the best, Every drop was a nice fat trout.

5. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    CJ I will take you up on that

6. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +683
  7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,860
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Looks like there will still be an island. If it is like most of the other reservoirs, the water level will never get there. I was noticing yesterday that Lake Ramona has never been more than about half full.

8. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    I hope there is a little island left. I am curious about Aqueduct arm. The channel is so narrow at the north end, It should go waaaaay up that draw and be real steep. That was one of my favorite redear spots and kicked out some monster crappie

9. CatfishRuss

CatfishRuss Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I think there are now more moments in the day where I think about when san vee will be open again than when I don't! I was mapping out spots just like everyone else before the lake closed so it will be interesting to see if any of my predictions will come true. Is it 2014 yet?

10. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,538
    That's a lot of cement.

So it's finished, and now were just waiting for rain?

11. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    nope waiting for them to finish the internal systems, elctrial wiring and computer systems that will control the dam

12. lakejenningspark

lakejenningspark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be suprised if it is 2018 from what I hear. Most new lakes have explosive growth rates for the first 4 to 6 years. So I predict 2021 will have some off the charts fishing like DVL....

13. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    Hugh, God willing, we will both be around and able to take adavantage of that phenomenal fishing then

14. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,854
    I can't wait, maybe every one will go to SV and give El Cap a rest. I counted 75 boat trailers in the parking lot
    this last Thursday at noon at a time when a lot of people had gone home. The lake water level in going to drop 30 ft in the next year. The San Van will be like Diamond Valley, a long line and a long wait to get on the lake. I hope that the water skiers will be on SV and leave EC alone. It is getting so crowded when there is only 1 lake open on Thr or Fri

15. Roy Justice

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    Nothing new really. Back in the day you needed to be pretty early to get in line for the opening of the gate at San V, followed by the mad climb up that hill.

16. III

III
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +52
    Your right about that Roy the line was always pretty long If you got there later than 530am. But I hope the lake staff treats the fisher men and women with a little bit more respect this time around. My family and I had several incidents where the skiers were in the wrong but when the lake staff was told about it they had no interest in informing them that we all are just sharing this jewel of a lake. So lets all be curtious and respect to one another because we all are just guest here. Even though I was renting a boat then and I know what I was paying was a lot more than what they was. One time I was out there with my mom and sister and we almost got ran over by a pleasure boater. I told one of the guys who patrol from a boat and he told us " you need to stay out of there way". They seen us going across the channel in one of those slow rentals and they felt like they had to charge at us then swerve last minute. That was wrong I don't care what anyone says you just don't do that. The moment we got our bass boat that was the first place we were at with it and fished every and anywhere I wanted. I sped through slalom area when I fished it and didn't care about them telling me to slow down. Was that right? At the time it felt right. Sorry I went on that rant but I just hope the lake staff just will support the people who fish the lake just they do the pleasure boaters.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2