South bay Spotties

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by James1973, Feb 27, 2021.

1. James1973

James1973 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +119
    Took my son (10 years old) and his best friend from school out on the bay fishing. Also had his dad on board. Neither had done bay fishing before so I thought it would be fun for them. Started out off of Fiddlers cove marina and then slightly south of there for 8 spotties. Fiddlers was hot for about 20 minutes and went dead. Moved over to the flats off of 32nd street in national city just south of the elbow. Saw a few boats and many kayakers on the water. Bite was wide open in this area over a long drift on the flats pretty far off shore all the way to the channel. It was a large area of high concentrated bass for sure, they were stacked up in this region. We caught 52 fish in the next hour and a half in this spot. Took lunch and stopped, then put another 10 fish on board and released to hit 70 total in the next 30 minutes and called it a day after about 3 hours of fishing. Most of the people fishing left the area as we were all alone and had a blast. My son's friend was learning how to fish and he went from inexperienced angler to serious fisherman in a few hours. Fishing was wide open and we used our usual Ed Reis inspired grubs. We had a blast and could have caught even higher numbers if I was fishing more and we stayed longer. It was a day they won't soon forget!

IMG_4966.JPG

IMG_4967.JPG

IMG_4987.JPG

2. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,426
    Way to get the newbies on some nice spotty action

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,406
    What's an Ed Reis inspired grub? How is it different from other grubs? Image? I see a grub in the photo but hard to tell exactly what it looks like.

4. James1973

Ratings:
    +119
    For those that don't know, Ed Reis was one of the best spottie bay bass fisherman in San Diego Bay history. I met him when I was younger and he was 88 years old. He could not drive anymore. I had lots of fresh water experience, but none in the bay. I always read posts of people catching tons of bass and wanted to learn. Someone on this sight recommended I call him. He said, "son, pick me up and take me in your boat and I will teach you everything." I later found out he wrote for a few fishing magazines, was retired highest rank in the Navy, and an ex sportfishing captain. In his old age, he fell in love with bay fishing. He kept track of his trips and had an old school wooden fish counter. He average 5 to 6 thousand bay bass a year. One of his favorite lures was a 3 inch grub called a triple ripple. That is what we were using today and why I call it the Ed Reis special. I fished about 5 years with him or so until his passing. His knowledge of the bay and spotties in particular was amazing. I am blessed to be able to help others enjoy what he taught.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  5. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,079
    Awesome. Man I haven’t been to FC in about 10 years. Sheesh!

6. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,406
    NIce story. Any image of the grub? Look like https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bas...ViZOzCh1TmQxxEAQYASABEgLxlfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds ?

I have tried the triple ripple Bass Pro grubs, don't seem any better than regular grubs. Lately I have been using 4" Four Inch Curl Tail Grub Bass Walleye Twisters - Lockett Lures just because they are inexpensive and work as well as any.

Would love to see the wooden fish counter too, I use https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bas...Vip6zCh3vNgAhEAQYASABEgJ3W_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds .

7. James1973

Ratings:
    +119

The link for the grub is correct that you found. As for the fish counter, it is stored with my boat and I don't have a photo. Imagine a flat piece of wood about a foot long and 4 or 5 inches wide. Holes were drilled into it. Looks just like a cribbage board. Home made. There were 4 lines on it and golf tees will fit in the holes. Ed was very competitive, so each person on the boat would get their own line. There were 25 spots per line. Catch a bass, move your peg. Once you reached the bottom you started over. It's fun and a little friendly competition that is visual in the boat. That's the bets way I can describe it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,114
    Yeah I never fished with Ed but met him a couple of times. Bought his book and he was gonna sign it for me, but said he wanted to sit and talk for a while so he could come up with a good inscription for me...but he passed away before we could meet up...
    20210227_210842.jpg
    It is a terrific book full of short stories, by a guy who spent his whole life fishing...recreationally and commercially.