South lake fishing?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Jachag32, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Jachag32

Jachag32 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    So I was on here looking at things about fishing at discDiscolake in San Marcos and people were also talking about south lake becoming open at some point . That was back in like 2009 so my question is can you fish south lake with only a CA fishing license and is there any good fish in there to catch?

2. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,546
    I've fished that pond quite a few times; it was (is?) loaded with little bass and a few giant bluegill. If I didn't catch 15 or more on fly and spinning tackle, it was a bad day. However, this was when the construction was at a much lower level than it is now. The city has kicked up the housing project in that canyon up several notches, so it's very unlikely you'd be able to quietly slip past the fences and fish without getting spotted (and therefore kicked out, because I was t e c h n i c a l l y trespassing even 2-3 years ago).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. DogDudeDrone

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,224
    Name:
    Zach Carman
    Boat:
    Feet
    Anybody have any updated info on this south lake place? I see on google tons of construction was being done....Guessing its done now?

4. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,546
    Yep, lots of construction; nope, lake still isn't open. I live nearby and believe me, I'm keeping tabs

5. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +695
    When I was going to school at CSUSM I used to fish discovery a lot. I had been hearing about some porject to connect south lake and discovery and trying to make it into some nice big park. That was like 5 years ago.....

Jacks pond is pretty cool too and has some different species than discovery. Its pretty close as well

6. JeremiahSD33

JeremiahSD33 Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Name:
    jj miranda
    I went bluegill fishing there (like I always do ) a couple months ago and there just weren’t any bluegill, it was like they all died, anybody else share this issue? Or are they just out deep

7. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,546
    When I was fishing it a lot, before they'd progressed on the construction, there seemed to be very few bluegill-- mostly just bass and some mosquitofish. I only ever caught one or two gills, but in fairness they were big, big fish. My PB came out of there on a bass-sized woolly bugger fly.

8. JeremiahSD33

JeremiahSD33 Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Name:
    jj miranda
    I was catching so many bluegill on tiny lures and micro hooks, even pulled a 1.3 while someone was saying a 3 was caught there. Everybody says there’s only bluegill but now it feels like nothing is there and the water smells funny. Lots of dead tadpoles and juvenile frogs floating. But last I checked was late November so maybe it’s different now