South Mission 5/17

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by JWBee, May 17, 2019.

1. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Got to the parking lot at 540 am, got a little worried because I was the only one there. Usually by then there's a bunch of surfers and maybe a few fisherman. Wasn't sure if it was the bad surf or the rain so I checked online and they posted the general advisory. I was already committed so I read up a lil more on it and it said that you should worry if parts of the county got .20 in of rain. I then checked how much rain we had in the last 24 hours and it was .02 lol

So I started fishing at 6. The plan was to try out mosquito hooks on the Carolina rig but all wal mart had them in was circle hooks. Had trouble keeping the gulp sandworm on with the short shank so I ended up switching to a regular baitholder size 6 after an hour. Surf was rough, tons of waves breaking on each other so I had to bump up to 1oz sliding sinker. Salad was also kind of a problem but it congregated in pockets so it wasn't hard to walk away from. Caught 5 med/small yellowfin croaker, a Palm sized BSP, and I think a small corbina that hit it so HARD i thought for a bit that I got hung up in kelp lol. Called it quits at 10 after the bite died off. Wind and surf really picked up for that last hour, was struggling to stand up straight when wading. Really decided to call it after realizing I was one misstep from getting swepped.

There were tons of mini sandcrab beds out, did find some big ones with eggs but you really gotta look for them.

Jack

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +35,193
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Appreciate the report

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,181
    Name:
    Kenny
    I was out at mission this morning too. Damn glad to see some fish caught. I’m stinkin like a skunk! I got there around the same time but spent my first 30 minutes pumping gs. Between that, sand crabs and gulp camos I didn’t get a bite. Very storm surge frustrating day for me. I was hoping for a bean. Fished from Belmont park to the jetty and back.

4. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +127
    No problem! I figured the best way to show my gratitude to all y'all that I've learned so much from is to contribute what little I can, even all my skunks haha. Speaking of, went back out this evening at sunset to try and put my little nephew on some fish. Called it at two casts, salad was horrific! Instant hang up. Looked that way all down the beach too. Wasn't gonna spend the next two hours retieing for both me and my nephew every cast while shorepounding lol. I know he can't wait till ob pier opens up again lol

5. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +127
    I think we passed each other up a few times. I was the guy in the $40 waders lol. And I know the feeling man, I usually skunk on the best of conditions! I usually miss bite after bite, which is why I wanted to try mosquito and/or circle hooks today. For some reason everything just clicked today, maybe it was the strong current forcing me to stay more connected with my bait. Almost felt like hooking up with a jerk bait

6. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,181
    Name:
    Kenny
    Hopefully the swell and salad clean up for the grunion run...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List