South mission jetty

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by MBch09, Apr 5, 2021.

1. MBch09

MBch09 Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Name:
    Chad Hamilton
    I live in mission beach and am new to fishing. I’ve thrown some swim baits off the jetty and caught a bass I want to walk out to the tip of the jetty. I never see anyone fishing out there. Am I wasting time going out there?? If not What should I throw out there?
    Also I am open to any suggestions is spots to go (I live in south mission) and what to rig up.
    What type of bass is this?

B6FF4A8E-3F80-47C8-96BA-3BE5EEB1906E.jpeg

2. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,418
    Calico bass

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,645
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Fished the jetty for a couple decades.. it can be a magical place. Enjoy your journey...

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  4. MBch09

MBch09 Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Name:
    Chad Hamilton
    thanks. So far the only lures I have are these. Any suggestions on what else I should try

89453882-8B19-4958-A67F-EAC298B3FC05.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. tjthegreat1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,078
    Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    Hobie Revolution
    Flylined shrimp on a small hook works great at certain times. Or a dropper loop with a small hook and light weight. There is mussel on the jetty near the sand at low-negative tides. That is a great bait as well and free.

Ive caught legal sculpin there at sunset(bring a headlamp) on shrimp. Ive also caught decent bass around sunrise using spoons like a crocodile. In the fall, the bonito start running. People have even caught yellowtail off the jetty on the north side.

There are lots of fish close to the base of the riffraff, as well as within casting distance at certain points hanging to structure/reef. Be careful when rockhopping. Plenty of people on here have gotten hurt bad after a misstep and fall. Always be ready to catch yourself and avoide wet/slimey/algae covered rocks.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • List
  6. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,658
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    watch the rats at night

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • List
  7. tjthegreat1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,078
    Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    Hobie Revolution
    Theyre worse than seagulls!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,645
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Those lures will work fine, especially at dawn and dusk. If you want more species, sand crabs, mussel, shrimp and pile worms all work great for a wide variety of fish

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  9. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,086
    Those lures will work for bass. Are you just targeting bass, or are you looking to catch anything? I can easily name off over twenty different species of fish I have caught off of that jetty, but 90% of those fish would likely never be caught on one of those lures. If you are just interested in catching large calico bass then just keep doing what you are doing, but if you are are interested in more quantity and variety then, like others have already stated, fish small (#6) hooks with bait.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. Big Money Jonah

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +911
    I’m nowhere near the jetty veteran that some of these guys are, but here my nickel anyway-

Keep it simple. You WILL break off multiple rigs. For that reason, I like to pack a couple “go-to” lures in case the opportunity arises, but tossing bait is king for a really good time.

Coach (Werfless), has a great YouTube tutorial on the spider hitch loop knot which I and many others use. The dropper loop is also good. A medium split shot rigged about 4-5” above a #6 mosquito hook has worked very well for me in the last and makes for easy, solid action.

Bait is up to you. Shrimp can’t miss. You WILL catch fish. Squid is also easy and good but excludes a few fish. Mussel is arguably best but can be a pain. Some others that folks like, but the ones above can be bought at any store.

pre-tie any rigs and wrap them around a small piece of cardboard. Use a barrel swivel to attach your rigs to you main line. I like split shots for weight on my loop rigs. If they get snagged, lots of time they slide off the end and I keep my rig. That’s not the most environmentally friendly solution. Lots of other options with a quick search on SD Fish.

yes, go to the end. I’ve only ever fished North Jetty, but both are somewhat legendary fishing grounds ‘round these parts. Have fun. Pack water. Watch your cornhole at night.

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. Big Money Jonah

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +911
    Oh, those swim baits will catch bass for sure, but you shouldn’t use the one on the top.

rig your swim baits so that they look like do in the package. The top of the bait should be straight and the hook should travel in a straight line from hook entry to exit. Wiggly or curved baits will likely helicopter on the retrieve. You’ll have willing biters pass you up if your stuff is swimming unnaturally most times.

Your other baits look to be rigged much better.

12. MBch09

MBch09 Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Name:
    Chad Hamilton
    Thanks I hit it today with some of the swim baits and caught a couple more bass. I’ll bring a second pole to throw out some shrimp Next time. I definitely want to catch more than just bass. You guys just throwing it out on a dropper set up, weight and small hook bout a foot up?

AC3BA8AB-88DC-4504-944A-DC62421D327A.jpeg

9F9D9659-8DE7-484C-B7B4-A7FC8ADB202D.jpeg

13. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,645
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. tjthegreat1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,078
    Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    Hobie Revolution
    Nice!

Yes, for the dropper loop that is right. I usually use a swivel, some dont; then anywhere from 2-4 foot leader with the hook 1-3 foot up from the weight depending on conditions, presentation, etc. I like to use salvaged metal for weights, something I learned from Werfless. Ive even bought bulk surplus nuts to use instead of lead.

The link Werfless posted is a very strong and effective rig. Much stronger than a typical dropper loop knot.

15. Craig T

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +478
    Find out when the next Werfless Jetty Fishing 101 class is and signup. Highly recommended and you will not be disappointed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. relax_inn

relax_inn Active Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Any of you have tips and tricks for reducing snags at the jetty? I know there’s only so much you can do and you’re bound so get some snags. Are there specific sinker shapes or rigs that minimize snags better than others?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. HK_Supermarket

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +768
    Name:
    Ben
    coach always recommends nail, but the lighter weights definitely make it harder to feel the bottom and feel the bite. I've found 1/2 oz sinker gives you a nice feel for bottom without getting swept around and doesn't get snagged too much as long as your watch your line closely.
    also the jetty is not the spot to be fishing multiple lines. You'll be spending the whole time getting snagged and retying. If you're not getting bites you're in the wrong spot or have the wrong bait.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Big Money Jonah

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +911
    Losing rigs is a foregone conclusion bud.

edit: I should read more carefully. If money is no object, cylindrical tungsten weights would be a great choice. Money is an object for me, so I clamp split shots on the tag. You can find 1/4oz shot fairly easily. You can just pinch them on the bottom of the rig and stack if you need to. That way if your lead gets hung up, it should pull off fairly easily. Rinse and repeat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Big Money Jonah

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +911
    I also have trouble with nails. Can’t find them heavy enough to get a decent cast.

20. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,435
    Name:
    Gabe
    1. Snags will always happen, they’re inevitable. I’ve found that a spider-hitch/dropper-loop setup with an egg weight tied with some half hitch knots has proven to be the least snag resistant for me. I was/am a big jetty fisherman.
    2. Swimbaits will get you the bass forsure. Much more of a grind. Shrimp on a dropper-loop with a number 2 to 6 mosquito hook (2 for the deeper waters/6 for near the rocks/4 is an all arounder) will give you the most success. I’ve landed sheepies easily over 4#s and fairly large calico and sculpin on it.
    3. When you say end of the south jetty, you mean past the actual jetty itself and on the rocks? (Leaving this on but I saw that you’re referring to the main jetty on the north side of MB. Pretty much my stomping grounds)
    4. Those lighter blues have gotten me a few bites, one good sandy on a 6” fluke with a 1oz head.
    South jetty/hospitality is a pretty good spot!

#20 Gabemorales, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021