South Ponto 8/19/2019

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Fisher not a catcher, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Fisher not a catcher

Fisher not a catcher Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Didnt get to post this until now. Was busy yesterday and recovering from massive sunburns. Really was not expecting to stay out so long. I am usually off the beach by 9 or 10 and never really see the sun. Fishing was so good I ended up staying to 1:30pm. Now I'm paying for it, foot was swollen and I couldn't put on shoes yesterday. Feeling better now and I should be able to walk around tomorrow haha.

20190821_075344.jpg

Well anyways, I'm sure you guys remember my thread last week about getting skunked 5 times in a row, and then K-bo Smack took me out on Saturday and I got one to break the skunk.
    Feeling energized and having Monday off, I decided to put what I learned on saturday to use. OMG the fishing was crazy. I stopped counting after 7 fish. I probably pulled out about 15 total give or take 3 or 4. Like I said, stopped really counting...

Here's the play by play.
    First thing set up on the beach where the parking meets the hillside at about 830am. Started digging for sand crabs to go with the blood worms I bought (thanks Keith for the tip). I got a bunch of good sized crabs and one real sandworm. It was green and a lot smaller than the Berkeley gulp ones I'm used to. I went ahead and threw it on a hook to try it out. First cast I pull out a small yfc. He didnt swallow the hook but there was a little blood. I threw him back and he did swim off, but who knows if he made it. Felt bad. 20190819_090600.jpg

After that I stood in the water in front of the edge of the hillside. Before, I didnt really believe you could see them swimming in the skinny, I though it was a joke that older fishermen played on newbies, but then I saw some myself. I wish I had my phone out cause on monday as I stood there soaking some crabs, I saw a monster bean, probably like 20 inches and fat swim right in front of me like a rod length and a half. I started reeling trying to get the bait in front of him, but he just swam off.

After that. I knew I was in the right place and started casting out what I call the triple decker(not 2, but 3 sandcrabs stacked on the hook).

I swear, from about 9am to 1230 I was pulling in a fish every other cast. Now they were all pretty small about 7 to 10 inches, but it still felt great to get that tug. I know K-Bo Smack said "every 3 casts or 5 mins, move" but I was getting so many in that spot, I stayed there the whole day. I only moved down about 20 yards when all the jr lifeguards started drifting towards me when they came in from their swim.

Later on I caught another yfc about the same size and just more beans the whole day. At some point I used a couple of the blood worms and had the same result. They were eating everything I threw out there.

As I was packing up, i started chatting with a retired guy and his mom for an hour. Good conversation, but I think that is where I got sunburned haha.

In the end I kept 3 of the greedy beans that got gut hooked even though they were kinda small. 2 were 10 inches and one was 12. 20190819_094800.jpg 20190820_135722.jpg

I was pretty excited to try corbina after hearing how tasty they are. Let me say, yes, they are good eating. I practiced filleting 2 of them and the other I decided to do whole. The fillets I made 4 different seasonings to see what I liked best. The whole fish was marinated in soy sauce, mirin, sugar, scallions, ginger, onion and garlic powder. Very tasty over rice and bok choy with mushroom oyster sauce.

20190819_193600.jpg
    Here are the 4 seasonings I used, same order as in the pan above. My wifes favorite is the old bay, but I think they were all good.
    20190819_193717.jpg

I think I left the marinade in the fridge for 3 or 4 hours before cooking. Fried/steamed it and came out delicious, just careful of the bones.
    20190819_193843.jpg
    Before 20190819_194403.jpg after 20190819_194410.jpg

Doest look much different in the pics, but was tasty.

20190819_195604.jpg 20190819_195918.jpg
    Dog got a small taste, but onion isn't good for them.

I want to thank all of you that contributed info to help make this happen. As soon as my skin turns from red to tan, I'll be back on the beach and hopefully another update.

Good luck out there, everyone!

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,798
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Awesome, glad to see this..

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Miasmax

Miasmax Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +253
    Name:
    Kyle
    Well done sir!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,464
    Some nice looking eats, particularly how you prepped the whole one.

5. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,632
    Glad we could bump you out of the rut! K-Bo Smack iz da man!

Having eaten corbina last night myself, I will agree they are totally tasty! Those bigger models are notoriously wary. And very frustrating. They will swim right at your feet and then whiff at the juiciest, most egg-laden, soft shell crab you have. Getting them takes skill and luck. Keep working at it.

Cheers!

PS- Give the puppers more fish! Can't you tell he's hungry! LOL!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. VeeDubGuy02

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +643
    Name:
    Tom
    Nice catch. Nice cook! Keep it up

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Fisher not a catcher

Ratings:
    +78
    Do you think the big ones are just picky about presentation? I assume they are eating the same stuff as the little ones as they are hanging in the same area.

8. Miasmax

Miasmax Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +253
    Name:
    Kyle
    If u can make ur sand crab to the cha-cha u should get a big one

9. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,632
    Definitely part of it. dj thrillz had a good post last month about how to rig for sight-fishing them. Recommend looking that up. Basically, downsize your rigging as much as possible within reason. This is where a smooth drag and your reel and a parabolic action on your rod can help you out. Bill Varney recommends hooking your bait so it does not spin (ie no offset to the hooks and skewer it straight)

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. Fisher not a catcher

Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks, I think I found the thread, in case anyone else is interested:
    https://sdfish.com/forums/t/some-bean-info-if-you-are-interested.181928/

11. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,432
    Name:
    Keath
    Congrats on the success! It a good thing to see another person benefit from this forum. I hope to see you in the sand again before the summer ends.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,004
    Name:
    Eric
    Nice work man! The days where everything bites are earned by the skunk streaks. Take note of what you did different that worked, though right place right time is always a factor. It always feels good to end a day fishing eating a fresh catch

13. Smokey

Smokey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    I thought I would try Ponto today after work. Little did I know that parking is in the sand.
    I ride a motorcycle and it is not an easy place to park. I got about four feet into it and
    my front tire was doing the snowplow, and going straight. I got off, dug a ditch for
    the front wheel to follow, and got out. WHEW! After that ordeal, I went up to Tamarack.
    I caught a handful of ten inchers, but I had two good fish on until they saw my ugly feet
    and threw the hook. Other than getting stuck in the sand, it was a great time.

14. Fisher not a catcher

Ratings:
    +78
    There is paid parking at south ponto, you go a little south of the sand and there is an opening that leads to a parking lot. If you walk out to the water from that lot, you will be right where I hit all those fish.

15. Smokey

Smokey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    I have found out that I am a cheap basst**d. I will probably check out the paid lot though.
    I have read quite a few good reports from S. Ponto so I have to try it.