south shores park

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Oceanfire, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Oceanfire

Oceanfire Active Member

Ratings:
    +148
    Name:
    matthew dusa
    I read the pinned thread regarding spotties from Dj thrillz. Thanks for the info.

Questions is from south shores park can I legally fish to the left and right of the boat ramp from the rocks? I’ll assume the beach, dock and ramp are off limits. Is there a better beginner spot in MB for the 6y/o?

Thanks. Gonna take the kid tomorrow.

Thanks

2. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,419
    Just don’t fish on the boat ramp docks. You can fish either side of them tho. If you travel left, you can go behind sea world until you run into a fence. That’s where access stops. If you go to the right, you can go as far as you want.

Honestly I’d start the 6yr old from the sand instead of the rocks. Fishing from the rocks could take a little getting used to even for an adult. Some are loose, some are just hard to trek.
    It just kind of leans towards the unsafe side for little ones imo. I see kids out there tho from time to time.
    I hate to bring up pier fishing, but it’s where a lot of kids get their first line wet. And the mackerel are usually there to put that first smile on their face. Just a thought... If the bay is the place, and I’m taking a 6 yr old, I think I’d be at one of the coves on the west, or even tecolote shores on the east.

#2 dj thrillz, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Oceanfire

Oceanfire Active Member

Ratings:
    +148
    Name:
    matthew dusa
    Thanks for the reply. We will try Santa Clara point, Montezuma bay in San Juan cove. I’ll report back.

Any off limit areas I should know about on that point?

4. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,419
    Montezuma bay is a new one to me, never heard any areas in MB called that. But the access in MB is easy, don’t fish off docks, bridges, protected areas, swim zones, or private property. Anywhere else you’re basically good.

5. oldfogey

oldfogey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +738
    Name:
    Mike
    You can fish pretty much anywhere on Santa Clara Point, including the dock that's adjacent to the public launch ramp there. It's just a floating dock....no railing of anything so you'll have to keep an eye out for the little guy. Kevin(djthrillz) had a good idea....check out the piers. OB pier, Crystal Pier, IB pier etc.

6. Oceanfire

Oceanfire Active Member

Ratings:
    +148
    Name:
    matthew dusa
    Google has Mentezuma bay as the cove on the south of Santa Clara point.

77DCB25C-A3F1-4BAC-B1DF-17E49BC9ED1A.png

7. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,419
    San Juan cove in my book, but you can call it whatever ya like. I know there were other names well before my time, maybe that was one of them. For example, sail bay used to be called crescent bay in the 60s.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Oceanfire

Oceanfire Active Member

Ratings:
    +148
    Name:
    matthew dusa
    Skunked.... fished from 830a-1130. Tide going high 5.2 at 1045. Hit south shores from sea world fence to beach. Tried a bunch of jigs and spinner baits. Tried an anchovy with c rig. Nada.

Then hit north side of Santa Clara point. 1530-1730. Tide going low. -.1 at 930p I think. Threw a couple different colored curly tails on 3/8oz weedless jig. Had one pole C rig with anchovy. Nada.

Moved to south side and fished the dock and sand around the ramp. Tried gulp sanwrom of c rig. Tried different swimbaits. All in the 3” range. Tried a black curly tail with some red flakes on a flathead black jig.

Nada.

Tough day fishing for me and my son. Good news is he got a ton of casting practice. Never a bad day fishing with my boy. Even if we did not get a nibble. LOL

9. oldfogey

oldfogey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +738
    Name:
    Mike
    Ha.....i could hit Montezuma Bay with a rock from my house. I've been here since about 1972.....and have NEVER heard it called that. It's San Juan Cove to me.....:emoji_sunglasses:

10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,494
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I've seen the name on some old maps.. saying

11. Oceanfire

Oceanfire Active Member

Ratings:
    +148
    Name:
    matthew dusa
    Success!! Went Sunday 1530-1730. SC point. Switched to drop shot, weedless with gulp shrimp. My son caught a nice one just as we were packing up. Caught on an 8 ft Walmart rod ( he liked the colors).
    Saw another guy out. He caught a few on what looked like a light brown curly tail on a jig.

BFB54CD8-379B-44E6-B66A-B16F2EE2F35E.jpeg