Spanish Landing at night?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Shawn H, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +967
    Havent been out in weeks, got at itch to shore pound sd bay evening wise. Anyone know if its decently lit up, not to sketchy to fish at Spanish at night? Thanks

2. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,275
    Name:
    Eric
    I think the parking lot is only open till 9 or 10? Not sure if it's regularly monitored or enforced

3. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,337
    I would park in the shopping center and walk the channel up torwards the bridge. It is fairly lit up but by the bridge i've run into some strange characters. You are fishing in the city after all...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,296
    Anywhere after dark is sketchy these days. Try to have someone with you, all the times I’ve had people with me I’ve never encountered anything close to bad. Solo, a couple times I was beyond nervous. One real close call. If you go solo, pay attention to your surroundings at all times.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  5. Ken roe

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    The fish bite good at night, but the creeps come out at night.
    Try not go solo. If you do, stay alert & aware.
    Carry a fish club.

6. socalteacher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +270
    Boat:
    nope
    The bridge at Liberty Station and all around that area was my go to spot. I quit going night fishing alone. I didn’t learn my lesson after the first run in with a group of dudes out for no good. After the second close call I only fish Torrey Pines alone at night.

If you fish at night consider a big knife, pepper spray, and head on a swivel.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +967
    Thanks guys, I fish alone 99% of the time and I don't wish to test my luck. Plus itll keep the wife happy :emoji_grimacing:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Kaze

Kaze Active Member

Ratings:
    +128
    I've been fishing HI a couple of nights a week (usually not much later than 11pm). Haven't had a problem there and haven't anything mentionable with regards to sketchy people. There also seems to be a decent number of Harbor PD patrolling. Spanish Landing never seemed like a place I wanted to try at night, especially around the bridge.

The places I've had some concerns or seen shenanigans were IB late or MB on a Friday night. IB is well... IB. MB I just saw some young knuckleheads establish a pecking order by the jetty as well as some "walkers".

This isn't to say I haven't been lucky but I also stay near well-lit and somewhat trafficked areas. Situational awareness is King and backup is always something to have with you be it a friend or otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,037
    Ever since the new hotel opened up this year at spanish landing its pretty lit up now. Last year some nights the lights on the bridge wouldn't even be on. I always fish with a headlamp on red but it can get really bright really quick. Only had a problem with the homeless on the bridge once. Thought he owned the bridge and was yelling at me but he ended up being all talk.

#9 Noms, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  10. Greenbean187

Greenbean187 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52
    It's A way different game going solo... The addicts and thieves come out at night
    I had one guy about ready to rob me for my electric bike... but then size me up and realized it was gonna be a struggle
    I always carry a nice blade/knife When fishing Solo
    Be safe out there and tight lines

20191109_202726.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,296
    Cool pic

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. cavedog619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,059
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback 2020
    Nice pic. Stay safe out there.

13. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,254
    'Cuz Creek is stupid, and he's at work. :emoji_innocent:

Pepper spray. Its the way to go. It's non-lethal, and the bad guy will drop like a rock 99% of the time (that 1% is dedicated to that one jerkkoff dirtbag that decides to accost you when he's high as a kite. Every now and then, a bad guy will get sprayed and behave completely unaffected - usually because he's overdosed.. its a small chance, but it has happened).

So ya, get online (eBay is an excellent source) and get yourself some OC. I always share my favorite and a huge favorite of PD.. Fox Labs 5.3 is the most intense pepper available to both police and citizen. Get familiar with CA law regarding use and canister amount limits (your canister can hold no more than 2oz here in CA). Then get familiar with CA law and learn when its appropriate to deploy it. As long as you're not up against a bullet, pepper will beat it. Knives, bats, fists, whatever.. blast the bad guy with a little burst of pepper, run to get away to a safe spot while he's down, and call PD immediately to report your deployment and a description of the idiot that you hosed down. As long as you were physically threatened and the bad guy was in your personal ring of safety, you should be good to go.

Here is a link for a 2oz canister (CA legal) of Fox Labs 5.3 .. this is the link for the STREAM form of pepper. If you prefer using a FOG spray (chance of it coming back at you as a FOG are much better - and you dont want that) they have FOG, too. I only use STREAM OC if it matters to anyone.

Good luck !! Your safety comes FIRST. Dont become complacent and dont forget ... as much as we want to believe that everyone is good, they often times aren't.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fox-Labs-22FTSDB-Pepper-Spray-2oz-Flip-Top-Stream/283676913392?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

#13 Creek, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List