Spanish Landing

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by toddamus, Nov 3, 2019.

1. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,342
    I was able to get down there yesterday because my brother and I were seeing a Gulls game and staying at a hotel across the street. Ended up fishing last night before the game and this morning. Found a nice spot on the rocks and hooked into about 6 last night and another 5 or so today. Great spot, easy fishing, spotties were feeding and they were fighting too. I've never had spotties consistently fight like this before. I actually used some fly fishing techniques to keep them on the line, they were simply not giving up like they have in the past.

Maybe the most surprising thing is I actually got a spotty to jump. Sadly it spat my hook when that happened but I didn't know they could do that.

Saw some boils this morning, maybe I should've thrown an LC and see what that was about.

Great fishing, I know spotties who cares, but if someone is looking to get bit, thats a great spot to go. Maybe bring someone whos new to fishing and chuck some swimbaits. My brother was with me this morning and he normally doesn't care too much, but after he saw the way they were fighting even he wanted in on it.

#1 toddamus, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,305
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Very nice, thanks for the report

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,527
    Aint nothing wrong with Spotties. Sure, there are more of them out there than anything else but who cares? Try fly fishing a two-fly system on a 5 or 6wt and having a pair of 15's or 16's jump on at once and peel your line ! There's nothing wrong with that !

4. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,342
    Yea, catching spotties on a 5wt sounds like a blast. I get good bend from trout on that thing let alone something the size of a spotty.

I'd like to fly fish from the rocks, just some people would get so upset if I hooked their child on my backcast.

#4 toddamus, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  5. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,527
    The price they pay for standing directly behind a casting fly fisherman. And yes, it happens all the time - especially on the beaches.