Spanish Landing

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by toddamus, Nov 3, 2019.

1. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,391
    I was able to get down there yesterday because my brother and I were seeing a Gulls game and staying at a hotel across the street. Ended up fishing last night before the game and this morning. Found a nice spot on the rocks and hooked into about 6 last night and another 5 or so today. Great spot, easy fishing, spotties were feeding and they were fighting too. I've never had spotties consistently fight like this before. I actually used some fly fishing techniques to keep them on the line, they were simply not giving up like they have in the past.

Maybe the most surprising thing is I actually got a spotty to jump. Sadly it spat my hook when that happened but I didn't know they could do that.

Saw some boils this morning, maybe I should've thrown an LC and see what that was about.

Great fishing, I know spotties who cares, but if someone is looking to get bit, thats a great spot to go. Maybe bring someone whos new to fishing and chuck some swimbaits. My brother was with me this morning and he normally doesn't care too much, but after he saw the way they were fighting even he wanted in on it.

#1 toddamus, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47,301
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Very nice, thanks for the report

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,853
    Aint nothing wrong with Spotties. Sure, there are more of them out there than anything else but who cares? Try fly fishing a two-fly system on a 5 or 6wt and having a pair of 15's or 16's jump on at once and peel your line ! There's nothing wrong with that !

4. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,391
    Yea, catching spotties on a 5wt sounds like a blast. I get good bend from trout on that thing let alone something the size of a spotty.

I'd like to fly fish from the rocks, just some people would get so upset if I hooked their child on my backcast.

#4 toddamus, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  5. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,853
    The price they pay for standing directly behind a casting fly fisherman. And yes, it happens all the time - especially on the beaches.

6. Oceanfire

Oceanfire Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Name:
    matthew dusa
    How far up the inlet can you fish? Can I fish all the way up past liberty station park? Anyone has luck up there?

7. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,391
    Not sure I wasn’t fishing the inlet. I was in the park and working the rocks.

8. TekAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +865
    I have luck on the north side of the bridges. You need some kind of higher tide though because when it's low it's really low and no fish are closer to the shore. There are a lot of blocks of concrete and other junk in the water to get snagged on. Traditional drop shotting is your friend here

9. cavedog619

cavedog619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +967
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    You can fish anywhere except where its fenced off at USMC and Navy property.

10. JeremyFWright

JeremyFWright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Don’t wanna give anything away... but liberty station can be amazing, and can also be awful. On a big swing it can be amazing. If you have any way of getting out into the deep channel that runs into the inlet (yak, boat, even wading out on a super low tide) it can be lights out ;)

11. cavedog619

Ratings:
    +967
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    Middle of the channel is where you want to be most of the time. Or, drop shot parallel to the rocks just off the grass on a strong incoming tide.

12. JeremyFWright

Ratings:
    +273
    Absolutely. Yea on a strong incoming tide the fish (not just spotties ;) ) get super shallow. I've caught spotties at night on hardbaits in liberty that bit as I was burning in to recast, literally 10 feet out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,853
    Is SD Bay a secret? :emoji_joy: Regardless of how or what you call it, people will still have to figure out how and what to use in order to catch those fish on their own.

For those of you wondering... there are fish everywhere in every bay we have.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. cavedog619

Ratings:
    +967
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    Chill out... No secrets here, and yes we do have fish everywhere. :emoji_laughing:

15. JeremyFWright

Ratings:
    +273
    Haha I was trying to poke fun at people that have their secret spots and get mad when they see others fishing “their” spots - I guess the sarcasm didn’t come through.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,853
    I apologize for not seeing the sarcasm.. I should have known.. many sorrys.

You guys would be surprised though at how many fishermen truly believe there are secret spots on both SD and Mission Bay. I can understand them having special or preferred places that they like to fish.. but secret spots (on our bays) just dont exist. As you were.. and fish on. Mike

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List