Spanish... Still on The Fence - for me

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,031
    Spanish Landing. I've had so many great days there it's almost embarrassing to tout them here. Sessions of 50 or more fish weren't uncommon in 2017 and 2018.. but this year it hasn't gone off yet.

Met Captwoody this morning for a little fun in the sun - or overcast, as it were. Decided to run eastbound along the rocks, the across at the end, dredging along the boat docks on the return trip. Didn't even make it halfway down the rocks due to the slowness we were seeing. Woody had bagged himself maybe two fish, and I could only account for a few missed hits that I had no excuse for.
    q9OkPY0.jpg

Did a little monkeying around near where the boat show docks had been set, then ran across to the boats from there picking up Spotties very few and far between. Nothing of any real size happened for either one of us until we started coming back.
    cvqDV37.jpg

I dont remember why, but at some point a decision was made to cross the channel and head back for the 10' mark near the rocks. On the way over, Woody took a darling little Yellowfin.
    FiZu2H4.jpg

And with Woodys help, I was able to bring a legal(?) Halibut to his net. Not really sure if it was legit or not because I didn't measure it out. Doesn't matter though because I always let everything go anyway.
    UrqC8Hu.jpg

So we ended up with slim numbers today.. I think Woody was around 15 or maybe more, and I was lagging behind at 11. But I took alot of hits that I just didn't connect to so it wasnt all that bad. At least I was seeing hits if not the full reward.

Maybe try and go out somewhere in the morning. Not sure where as every place in town is going to be shore-to-shore and azzes-to-elbows with people both in and out of the water.

Good seeing you as always, Capt ! See you in a couple of weeks or so.

2. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,395
    Good to see a report from you Creek . Hats off to you guys and your grit, float tubing. You guys are a breed apart!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,287
    Everyone probably knows this already but make sure the tide is in full swing when fishing the Bay. A slack tide is no bueno!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,031
    Well, I agree. But I go when I can. I have a problem known as FTJS (full-time job syndrome) due to a mortgage and all the fun that goes along with that. So if I'm lucky enough to have a day off without having to be anywhere, do any chores or be on-call for anything work-related, I'm fishing - regardless of the tide.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,038
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Looks like a great session, even if it is a bit slow

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,450
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Judging from a cubit size, I'm guessing that Hali is a bit short! Likely a lot of fun on the fly rod!

7. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,424
    Name:
    Ray
    I keep say this but one day I need to pass on the lake and hit the bay.

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,038
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Other way around for me.. But every time I think of the local lakes and start driving east, I just keep on driving

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  9. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,424
    Name:
    Ray
    Just takes some of us a bit longer to figure it out.

10. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,031
    Still doesn't matter because I'm letting everything go anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,459
    What counts my friend is that you're getting out on the water and getting your line wet. Been sticking to Spanish, or been spreading the love around?

12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,031
    I've been trying to hit Mission Point on solo runs.. and Spanish/Glorietta/Tidelands sessions with Richard, Woody and Chris. Mission Point hasn't started producing for me yet. Planning on going there maybe Thursday morning. Praying it starts getting better there soon..

13. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,038
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Should be time for some big spotties there soon...

14. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    How are Glorietta and Tidelands right now?

15. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,031
    Glorietta has been great for us. By great I mean, at least numbers-wise we're looking better than anywhere else. So the good spots for us have been Glorietta, Tidelands and Spanish.

The bad news is that for the last few weeks, the water clarity and color at Mission Point has been terrible. The water is stained. It's a copper'ish color - it looks like a reddish-orange dust has been mixed into the water. The clarity stops at about 3'. Even the water at the shore is murky. And if you remember, clarity at Mission Point is usually around 6' - and up to 7 or more on really good Santa Ana summer days. I went to MP this past week just to see if the water had somehow miraculously cleared yet. It hadn't. It was awful. I tried fishing it. Got three to hand in two hours.. 2 small Spotties and one massive Mackerel that peeled line. By far my biggest Mack ever. Still, the water sucked all the way out past the point, and that made the session unfavorable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  16. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    Yikes. I don’t know what’s going on in Mission Bay. One of the water sample stations on vacation island is showing increased bacteria counts. I wonder if some of this is red tide related. I haven’t heard much about it lately, but maybe the water is just warm enough or possibly not clearing well.

I may hit up Glorietta or Tidelands tomorrow if I can get out of bed early enough.

17. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,031
    Good calls on both places. Tidelands was great for us in and around the first two rows of moored boats. Glorietta was good straight across from the boat lunch at the ledge along the golf course.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,463
    last time i fished the docks there i got chased out by a seal..ahha...nice sesh

19. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    Well, I tried both on Saturday. Started around 6:15 at tidelands - hooked into a few smaller spotties early on, then dried up. Once we hit slack tide I packed up and headed over to Glorietta. l and hit the golf course side on the dropoff for a while. Nothing. Well, actually not entirely nothing. I helped a guy net a monster corvina because his “Walmart rod” (his admission) with an anchovy and torpedo weight couldn’t handle the fish to the back of his 35’ yacht. I’m only slightly bitter. I mean, he asked me what kind if fish he had in his cooler (it was a small mackerel), and kept going on and on about “dogfish” that “look like sharks”, and how easy it is to catch fish off the back of the boat, and here he is with the largest corvina I’ve seen first hand. :emoji_joy:*sigh* Maybe next time.

On the plus side, I love how easy these Rio twist clips are. I’m sold.

20. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,031
    Geez.. well, Wood and I are going out Friday morning.. call or text me and let me know if you wanna join !

I think it was Woody had tried the twist clips a while back and found out that he didn't like them. And I'm pretty sure he noticed an immediate upturn in his catch ratio once he ditched the clips altogether and went back to tying knots.