Spinning reels with dual drags

Discussion in 'Bass' started by basson, Apr 17, 2018.

1. basson

basson Member

Ratings:
    +26
    When i was looking for spinning reel, it comes in front/rear drag and dual drags. What's the difference between them? Are they used for any specific species/baits?

Alright so i mainly use top waters, spoons and sometimes hooks with bait. Which one should i buy?

2. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +677
    Okay, I'm gonna take a crack at this question. To my knowledge, there isn't much difference between a Front Drag reel and a Rear Drag reel, other than where the drag adjustment knob is located (on the top, or on the bottom of the reel). Either way, there is only ONE drag, which is used to fight a fish (like a normal drag).

A Dual Drag reel (also called "Baitrunner" or "Live Liner") means that the reel has the primary drag (referenced above, for the purpose of fighting fish) on the top of the reel, and also a secondary drag on the bottom of the reel. The secondary drag is very light weight, and is mainly used when you are fishing live bait. Instead of having to leave the bail wire open to let your live bait swim around, you can close the bail wire and engage the secondary drag. This allows you much more precise hook sets when your live bait is taken by a fish.

As you may know, when fishing live bait with a standard spinning reel, you must leave the bail open and pinch the line in your fingers to control the outflow of line as the bait swims. Then, if your bait is taken, the line screams off the reel (especially if you hook a Yellowtail or Tuna). The line is still between your fingers (so you might get burned), then to set the hook you have to clumsily try to force the bail closed with your hand while the line is screaming out. Not the best scenario.

With a Dual Drag reel, you would cast the live bait out and close the bail. You would then engage the secondary drag lever (which is set pretty much to "freespool") and this allows the spool to spin in reverse (with the bail still closed) to allow the bait to swim. When a fish takes your bait, you would simply flip the secondary drag lever to disengage it. The primary drag (set to your normal drag pressure) then engages and you can set the hook without ever touching the screaming line or the bail wire.

These dual drag reels are also popular with catfish/trout anglers where you cast a stationary bait out, but want the fish to be able to swim with the bait for a while before setting the hook. In that scenario, you can cast out and engage the secondary drag (equivalent of "freespool") so the fish can swim away with the bait for a while before the hook is set.

So, I would say that Single Drag spinning reels (Front or Rear Drag) would be best if you are fishing mainly top water jigs and spoons. Also, if you are using dead bait where you would want to simply set the hook quickly.

However, for live bait (or delayed hookset fishing) I would recommend using a Dual Drag reel. It's MUCH easier on you.

Back in the day, I would use a Shimano Baitrunner for all my Inshore/Offshore live bait situations and it never let me down. Landed countless Yellowtail, Tuna, giant Bonito, even 100+ Lb black seabass. I still use it from time to time and would recommend it highly. However, lots of manufacturers make the Dual Drag spinning reels (Penn, Okuma, Daiwa, etc.).

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +28,135
    Boat:
    3 too many
    A cheap dual drag reel like the kastking Sharky III baitfeeder will run you about 35$.. I have not had the chance to test this one, that said, I'm very pleased with my Sharky II, though I have not really put it through its' paces for any real length of time yet..

1523986991612.jpg

4. basson

basson Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I must say I love SDfish. So many nice people here just like you. You have made everything very clear to me. Thank you very much. I fish for freshwater most of the time, so I would pick a front drag spinning reel. Thanks again.
    Tight lines!

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +28,135
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Just in case you care, I got my Sharky baitfeeder III for fishing chunk bait in the IV (Imperial Valley).. Instead of just fishing open bail, it would afford me much more control over the bait..