Spiny lobster prep/recipe?

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by Easy619, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,368
    Name:
    Eric
    Just took my first spiny lobster. Never caught/cooked fresh lobster..any advice how to care for/prep/cook?

#1 Easy619, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035
    I like the bbq. Slice them in half garlic, parsley butter and a little evoo. Shell side down for 90% of the time then flip for the final sear

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. SDcarp

SDcarp Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83
    Ditto what troy wrote, except I haven't sued parsley. Sometimes I only use butter and a sprinkle of sea salt but grilling works well.

4. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,189
    Taking one for the team !

I just steam and serve with clarified butter. Wild or brown rice mixed with saffron risotto and asparagus with diced shiitake mushrooms...

My wife truly has a love hate relationship with my cooking

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. lchicker

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +688
    If you want to simply boil them, 7 minutes is usually the perfect time if you cook just the tail. Personally, the meat in the head and legs is too difficult to get to for anything less than a trophy sized lobster. What I usually do is just remove the tail and give away the head to one of my Filipino relatives that use it in their cooking.
    Other than that, you can also broil them in the oven like all the restaurants do with salt, pepper, and butter.
    Another option is to grill them like the folks above say to do. Up until recently, I was a poor college student, so I didn’t own a grill. What I’d do is boil them until slightly undercooked (5 minutes). Then I’d split the tail down the center, spice with garlic butter, and sear them on a skillet for another 60-120 seconds.

6. sandiegopbo

sandiegopbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Oven works best and easiest for me 350 thinking 10-15 mins, the shells will turn a beautiful bright red when done and u can smell their ready. I cut them from where legs all come together at the belly and pry your beefy knife down to end of tail then turn knife around from initial cut and pry up to split the head cutting right between both antennas(makes for very nice presentation when serving) ,ill pull all the guts out just rinsing that cavity and brain area fold them open and bake shell down, I just rub the meat down with butter and minced garlic done deal, place em on baking sheet with edges so liquid doesn't drip inside your oven.
    Amazing

7. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,471
    Heres what I do with those fellas:
    BBQ for sure!
    Prep: Semi-soft butter (about 1/4 stick per tail or so), mix in minced garlic, pepper, and I also add your favorite hot sauce. Thats really all I use. Then with the tail, use scissors to cut the middle if the belly open. Gently spread apart the shell, so you can eventually pull out the meat BUT dont pull it all the way off the shell! After you've done that you should have the meat hanging out only still attached by the end of the tail. Now add the butter into the empty shell LIBERALLY! Then stuff the meat back into the shell.

Cook: Throw those bad boys on the BBQ for around 15minutes or until you notice the meat is opaque. Cook shell side down, and add extra butter on top if you want. Ive found that this prep essentially allowed the meat to boil in the butter mixture in its own shell. It comes out so tender and delicious that you dont need any sauce or dipping butter.

Enjoy!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Robdog

Robdog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Hatteras GT63
    Bacon wrapped lobster. It’s the bomb. Google it. Otherwise I’d say boil them, that’s what I’ve always done when I’m too lazy to get bacon and everything

9. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,368
    Name:
    Eric
    I decided to cook him up that night fresh and live. Steamed with salt pepper garlic and butter dip. Pretty damn good. Next time I get 2 I'll trade zoner one for some corvina knowledge haha. Ate fresh self caught seafood all weekend..living in San Diego sure sucks..

20181010_220321.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. lchicker

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +688
    Tried a new recipe tonight and it turned out amazing This recipe is great if you’re tired of the regular boiled/steamed/broiled lobster. This is Cantonese spicy fried lobster.
    Open lobster tail and cut meat into bite sized pieces
    Dry meat with a paper towel and coat pieces in corn starch
    Fry lobster in oil for ~3 minutes or until golden
    In a wok or large skillet, heat a few tablespoons of vegetable oil.
    Add 6 finely sliced garlic cloves to hot oil and then add the same volume of finely sliced ginger to the hot oil.
    Fry for maybe 60 seconds until fragrant.
    Add chives or green onion to the wok.
    Add lobster bits
    Add 2 tablespoons of chili paste
    Toss lobster to coat everything evenly.
    Serve as an entree or as appetizers
    9837B04C-DEDF-4A7F-83E8-FF62A5B3212E.jpeg 5861628B-3FD5-4794-B562-A33918EED0CE.jpeg

11. Sum Catch

Sum Catch Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Just threw 4 fresh one's on last night and they were da bomb. Kill method was knife threw the brain and then continued to split down the middle. Extract the intestines. Apply light coat of Olive Oil and sprinkle your favorite seasoning "Butt Rubb" (Purchase at Costco and Iowa Meats). Heat up the Traeger as hot as you can get it. Sear meat side down for 1-2 mins. Flip to shell side down and melt the butter in a a small bowl on the grill. Start applying butter after 4 minutes and leave on the grill for another 2-4 minutes depending on the side of your giant bug. Put it on the table and watch Houdini make them disappear.