Spotfin on the “Barbie” pole

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Gudelgad, May 2, 2021.

1. Gudelgad

Gudelgad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Pretty epic day today on Mission Bay on a skiff rental. Pumped our ghost shrimp then headed out on the skiff with my son and 5 year old twins. Arrived at our spot and each kid had a fish on their line within about 15-30 seconds of getting their line in the water. The yellowfin croaker were just insane. I barely even fished because I had to help my twins reel these croaker in. They were almost yanking the poles out of their little hands! Over about 2.5 hours my kids caught about 22 fish, 12 of which were YFC and a bonus spotfin caught on my daughter’s little pink pole! I barely got to fish because the kids always had fish on during the first 90 minutes! If you ever needed proof that your kindergartner can catch spotfin with a “Barbie” pole, here it is!

EC588464-0571-42EB-99BB-C4C337D4CA25.jpeg

1D567D7C-B9D8-48B1-9EC9-0B0370D37C60.jpeg

2. coastpilot

coastpilot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +267
    Great to see the youngsters cheezin’ on a croaker bite!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. MrMajors

MrMajors Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +980
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    Love this post man. I’ve been trying to get my 6 year old son into fishing to no avail. Didn’t think about taking him on a skiff. Solid idea. He likes sailing and riding in boats.

4. Deep color

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +863
    SO GOOD!:emoji_punch:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +224
    Name:
    Gustavo
    The skiff rentals at Action Sports are reasonably priced in my opinion. I have had great luck getting fish on the line coming armed with ghost shrimp or blood worms. My kids actually really love going out to pump the shrimp too. Also with the ghost shrimp i tear off the thorax and I just use the tails and keep it on with elastic bait thread. The fish could care less if it’s a whole shrimp or just the tail. It takes longer to get the bait on your hook but it’s worth it and greatly increases the hook up ratio.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +224
    Name:
    Gustavo
    The skiff rentals at Action Sports are reasonably priced in my opinion. I have had great luck getting fish on the line coming armed with ghost shrimp or blood worms. My kids actually really love going out to pump the shrimp too. Also with the ghost shrimp i tear off the thorax and I just use the tails and keep it on with elastic bait thread. The fish could care less if it’s a whole shrimp or just the tail. It takes longer to get the bait on your hook but it’s worth it and greatly increases the hook up ratio.

7. MrMajors

MrMajors Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +980
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    I appreciate the tips man. Sounds/looks like you guys had a blast. They’ll prob never forget it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +224
    Name:
    Gustavo
    It was kind of unexpected. We usually catch about 70 percent spotties in this spot but today the kids got to find out what it’s like to have your line suddenly start to come off your reel as those croaker hit your bait

9. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,017
    Boat:
    None
    Awesome! Looks like you guys had better luck than my dad and I today! It's nice to see your kids getting out fishing because I don't see enough people bringing their kids out to enjoy the outdoors. It looks like they had a great time!

10. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +224
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Thanks Nick! It has truly been a blessing getting my 14 year old son into fishing this past year along with my 11 year old daughter and 5 year old twins. It’s been one of the more pleasant byproducts of Covid and having to come up with socially distanced outdoor activities.

11. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +224
    Name:
    Gustavo
    One more thing I would add is that I mostly got my older and younger kids into fishing this past year through light line surf fishing. It’s easy, convenient, the bait is waiting for you in the sand and if your kid gets bored, well, you’re at the beach! Everybody worries about having the proper equipment but my 5 year old catches more surf perch than the rest of us with her litttle spin cast 4 1/2 foot rod. Most of the fish are pretty close to shore.

12. Catchalot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +744
    Boat:
    Catchalot
    That’s Great!
    I would of loved to see a Pic of her “Bendo”
    on that Barbie pole!
    Making of a Fisherette!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,589
    Nice going on getting the kids on the nice bite. That spotfin must have been a great fight on the barbie pole. I use to take my kids that young out, now later this month I will take them on their first overnighter

14. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +224
    Name:
    Gustavo
    One of my 5 year olds asks me everyday when I’m going to take her tuna fishing and to catch a 300 Lb halibut in Alaska. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +224
    Name:
    Gustavo
    It was crazy managing my two girls who sometimes each had a fish on at the same time and couldn’t get the usual photos and videos. My 14 year old son managed to get a video of one of the medium sized YFC we reeled in on the Barbie pole but he couldn’t video for the spotfin because he was helping the other twin! The pole really bent as we got the fish closer. As compared to the bass, the croaker seem to like to make one last run right under the boat which put her pole into a nice U shape.

16. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +224
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Here is the bend on her pole with one of the YFC she caught! E4246193-27BD-4C67-80AD-B026A7FF0F1A.jpeg

17. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,339
    Coolest post I’ve seen all day!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,635
    Way to go, Dad! Awesome job. I second your opinion about getting kids into fishing while at the beach. So much fun stuff to do if they aren't catching anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +224
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Thanks! Plenty of help from other Parents and Grandparents on this site. I couldn’t have been successful without them:)

20. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +224
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Aww now you’re just making me blush! Thanks man!