Squeeze on local watercraft use. Mission Bay

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by rana, Jan 19, 2018.

1. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
  2. Fourtogo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +858
    If a developer tells you it good for the public , ITS A LIE . Developers never do anything that doesn’t benefit them or their business. Mission Bay was built for recreation fishing boating and enjoyment of the public . As citizens YOU need to ask why and how is this going to be good for the public .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,962
    Can I point out specifically the fact the city looks to make $5mil a year, with a good portion of that money going to parks and rec outside of mission bay? I don't know specifically that this plan will ever affect me (who knows, probably will someday though) but this is certainly not a thing that'll be in the best public interest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. fishingmissionbay

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,575
    Boat:
    Alger West 17
    This is lame :emoji_cry:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,225
    I'm a relative new person to this forum and very grateful for the opportunity to speak fairly freely and respectfully. I LOVE IT ! This is the kind of stuff that I really enjoy seeing pasted up and talked about. Good on all of you for doing it !

Ventura Cove. I remember Ventura Cove. Last time I was there float tubing I had my credit cards stolen from my wallet that I foolishly tried to hide in my truck. Didn't take the cash (around 60 bucks), just the plastic. The less-than-savory group of a dozen or more losers sitting in lawn chairs no more than twenty feet from my truck claimed they didn't see a thing. Cool. Still not sure why I didn't just keep on driving that day.

Development. Anyone that sees this expansion as something in everyone's best interests are sadly misinformed. Businesses are in business to do one thing - make money - lots of money if possible. Am I wrong?

As far as "launch sites" for watercraft are concerned, I'd be thrilled if the city spent a little of their fortune creating more sand launch sites and removed some of those big black rocks to create them. I'm a float tuber, and all I need is a little strip of sand no wider than five or six feet to launch from. Kayakers could use a little more room than that, I'm sure.

Point is, they're gonna expand the hotel (regardless of what any citizen or group wants) because there's money in it for them. Would it be in our (the users of the waterway) best interest to "take what we can get" and ask for more - lots more - easy and cheap to build sand and concrete access points to the water? When it comes to the city, I'm a firm believer in "taking what you can and running while you have it" because over time, our city representatives have clearly demonstrated they will do whatever guarantees the financial well being of their own personal futures, but not so much that of the peoples'. If there's bronze plaque with a city councilman's or mayor's' name on it, they're gonna spend the money or make closed-door deals to get the job done.

So since we already know the hotel is a back-room done deal, why not demand the city create as many access points as we can get away with having? They cant keep us from "using the pool." Why not take advantage of the city? They certainly take advantage of you !

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,962
    Creek , It'd be awesome if it were actually possible to get the city to listen. I imagine though that they would gladly block anything like what you suggest with as many environmental studies as possible. After all, those rocks create habitat! Can't go messing with something like that....

7. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,014
    I get mad at this stuff, but then remember i'm living in a giant city that is over populated and this stuff is going to happen regardless. I just glanced over the article and seems that there are going to extend into the parking lot? If there is a silver lining in this it will be that the bucket brigade wont be able to just park and start fishing. They would have to hoof it in the sand to the point. Kinda like Paradise Point. Would be nice if they put in a decent small craft launch ramp, in return for loosing space. And could easily put more parking in the lot to the east by extending into the lawn a little bit. But lets be honest, that would make way too much sense.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Fourtogo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +858
    Hi everybody I am not a citizen of San Diego or any part of County . I am thankful to be able fish and CNR Mission Bay . I Do travel quite far just fish these bodies of water . I see the business man’s point of view . And I see the point of view of a sport fisherman. The Bahia Hotel Chain s not a cheap place to stay . Yes I looked In too trying work out a room and fish along with being with my wife for day or week end couldn’t swing 400-500$ . I also ride a E-Bike ‘ here is where I split with the Hotel Chain . They use greater good spin to get what they want by putting Sports use people . Against the general public with the Hotel offering the view that sports folks are selfish . This body of water was created for just water activities and the public’s use . If any fight needs to be put forward . It should be access to whole spit of land . Once you put up fences . You now split the public and the hotels greater interest over the public’s . We don’t want you sharing this land at all view . The coast of California keeps shrinking for access . Malibu home owners have been battling the public for years . Newport has regs about people unloading float tubes Kayaks and parking hours . If your city council takes the view of business. You do to let them know ‘ that you will exsersize your right at ballot box . That and show up at city council meeting . Get wild life people involved and anything you bring to show this is a bad idea . I live in Long Beach a city that’s 485-90 thousand people . And very little access to the bay . You can’t fish from much of the shore in the bay . I have had a home owner try that >> I own the water babble << with me . The only benefit SD gets is when the rooms are rented . The hotel will off set some if not all the costs in paper work . To be paid in future business. At tax payer loss of use the will reversed at any life time of anybody in the city . Sea World will be the next one to fall ‘ that looks to be a business and land that will come open in the next 10-12yrs . If it looks rambling here I do the best I can . A little slip of land just for tubers and Kayaks shut out the rest of the public interest. The only real winner if this goes through will the Hotel .