Starter setup for Spotted bay bass/ Other bay species

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Kian.K, Mar 26, 2020 at 3:16 PM.

1. Kian.K

Kian.K Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hey all,

My apologies if this isn't in the right section.

I've never really fished mission/SD Bay and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a decent setup to target spotted bay bass, like a baitcaster setup. I intend to just fish from the shore with plastics.

My budget is $100-150

I appreciate any tips and any plastic setups/other setups you guys like to use to target the spotties!

Thanks, - Kian

2. FishGoBlub

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +415
    Boat:
    Sunk
    Skip the baitcaster setup and go with a spinning rig. 7'0" rod, MH Power, fast action, 2500 size reel , 12-20 Lb mono. Put more of your budget on your rod than the reel. This should set u you up for just about most presentations. And read the stickies there is a lot of information in them thanks to @dj-thrills.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,225
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Id go with the black max combos from Abu Garcia. They cost something like $75 and hold up pretty well. For $150 the Revo X combo is pretty sweet too. I’d look for a rod that has a 3/8 happy spot:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +44,168
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  5. TekAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +502
    Caught a few spotties and a sand bass yesterday at 2 locations in SD bay with a unused 2nd hand $10 rod and an old $3-$5 reel, size twelve snelled hook attached to main line with a loop to loop knot and a super small split shot for casting distance. main line is whatever came with the reel...about 8-10 lb test. the lure is a yellow and white crappie jig body pictured here. Sculpin love these skirted type of lures too.(it's the action from the skirt that gets the reaction bite. the small size guarantees you won't miss a fish due to short hits. Just have forceps ready to pull out the hook if the swallow it a little too deep) Heading out tonight with the exact same setup and lure since its still holding up to the spottie abuse.
    Cast out let it fall to the bottom and twitch the rod tip to hop the lure along the bottom with occasional pauses. If the current is moving you'll need to adjust your weight to get it down where you want it.
    I'll never know what it feels like to get skunked on expensive gear.
    crappie tube jig.jpg
    IMG_20200325_200704.jpg

6. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,037
    Ditto...the Black Max reel is pretty good.

A spinning setup is good for some lures...but not as good as a baitcast rig if you want to crawl a lure along the bottom. Some guys do well but I gotta have a finger touching the line at all times to feel the little tics.

If I was gonna buy another casting combo I would grab a Daiwa CC80 (under 45 bucks on Amazon)...blah blah blah not saltwater rated blah blah...mine gets thoroughly splashed on the side of my float tube and is going strong after dozens of trips.

Go through the rod racks at a couple of stores looking for a MH rod around 7 feet long. Turner's in Kearny Mesa had a screamin deal on some 13 rods a while back...50 bucks. Forty bucks will get you an Ugly Stick Lite. 33 dollars for a Shimano Sojourn. 20 for a Shakespeare Expedition (Walmart). The best rod that is superlight, easy to find in stock, perfect action and priced around 40 bucks? I love Love LOVE Berkley's Lightning Shock 7 foot casting rod and have two of 'em. They have that 3/8 sweet spot FS mentioned. It will need a piece of tape around each end of the foot of your reel to fix the sloppy reel seat, though. Tightening with vice grips will just break the plastic nut....which is why you'll see so many lunkheads posting that "the reel seat broke waaaaah!" (And which is why "factory reconditioned" sticks show up sometimes on the FFO website at half the price of a new one).

#6 carpkiller, Mar 26, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020 at 10:11 AM
  7. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,599
    What ever style of reel you want to use, look 2nd hand for a decent set up. Look for a nice used combo or make one from a used rod and reel. Unless you know what you really want and have money to spend. If I had to start with one line rating for the bay I'd be looking for a rod rated 3/8ths to 1oz. Can cover lots of different fishing techniques with that.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,640
    Shakespear/Ugly Stick combo, $50 gets (or got, mightve gone up) you a really decent 7' MH rod and a I wanna say 3000 size spinning reel that will do the job just fine until a better reel comes along. 10lb mono, 2" gulp bloodworms in either color, and I really like a #4 circle hook to handle the light bites you'll get on them fishing a dropshot with a weight of whatever flavor and need you have given conditions.

9. Aweisman18

Aweisman18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51
    From my experience bass fishing in the bays I can’t seem to put down a spinning combo for the baitcaster. Especially in mission bay with all the eel grass I normally use 6-8 lb test and drag something through or just on top of the eel grass. The sensitivity from a spinning rod helps me more. For $100-$150 I would go with a phoenix maxim and a sahara but be sure to wash the reel after using it in the salt or it won’t last long

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +20,530
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Can I use that? LOL! Yeah Spotties don't care much!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,430
    Any Walmart / big 5 medium heavy combo will catch a spotty no need for fancy stuff for those things haha

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Lahinch

Lahinch Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I really like my Shimano SLX rod and reel. I have the 7’2 medium heavy, spooled with 25lb braid with 10lb fluoro leader. It’s super light and sensitive, and not too hard on the wallet. You could just spool with mono to keep it simpler.

I also have a Kastking whitemax that Iv caught countless spotties and even calico on and it never dies. $40 on Amazon.

13. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,599
    The slx rod is really good for the price. I bought two at big 5, on sale $55 each. I gave one to my friend and used the other. Ended up breaking the reel seat on a hard hook set with something in the bay.

14. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +404
    If you have freshwater gear, you are probably already set up, just be sure to rinse it off well immediately after getting home. There will be lots of grass (if you are fishing where the fish are). If you fish weedless (Texas rig, weedless dropshot, weedless jig heads) you can get by with the lighter line, probably 10# mono (I use 6# from my float tube). Feel is super important, the bait caster is nice because you can run the line between your fingers; any pull, slack, jiggle, tap or sideways movement usually means a fish so reel down quickly. Point rod tip at the lure when retrieving. If using spinning gear, a graphite dropshot or split shot rod has good sensitivity (spinning is not as convenient as bait casting to run the line between the fingers). Spotties are on the bottom so make plenty of bottom contact with the weight, when the fishing is slow, slow down the retrieve and downsize the bait.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Kian.K

Kian.K Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hey All,

Wanted to say thanks for all the really helpful input!

I got a pro max combo and will also take one of my spinning rods with me as well. I think i'll just use mono for now, don't really have any experience with braided line.

I Got some different jig heads, , 3/8 oz, some heavier, some lighter, and some weights/hooks to to drop shot with as well.

For the jigheads with plastics(no underspin), should I be doing a slow retrieve along the bottom for the most part?

Thanks again

- Kian

16. Kian.K

Kian.K Member

Ratings:
    +15
    These were very helpful and informative, thank you.

17. Kian.K

Kian.K Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Should I be rinsing the reel after I fish in saltwater? Is that the standard recommended practice?

18. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +44,168
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Rinse every time.. miss it once and it might be the last

19. Lahinch

Lahinch Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I notice the slower I retrieve the more fish I catch. Sometimes so slow I’m hardly moving it at all.

Try an underspin too if water is not super clear.

20. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +44,168
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List