Starter's Float Tube

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by ehanks, Jul 28, 2009.

1. ehanks

ehanks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I am thinking about buying a couple float tubes for my brother and I. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which ones to buy? Also, if anyone has any suggestions for waders, flippers, accessories, it would be much appreciated. I have a budget in mind, but for now, I am interested in hearing any suggestions for my first tubes. Thanks in advance for any advise you have for me.

-Eric

2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    try Big5 they have the navigator 111 for 100$. Its a pretty good tube for the price or if u have more money go with a outcast or creek company v shaped tube for around 200. As for waders I have the cheap bonedry waders for 59$ at basspro and diver type fins. If you go all out and buy the boots/waders/bootfins they can get expensive. If you just want to get in the water and make sure u like it, just get some fins and go somewhere where u don't need waders. like the River I'm just giving u the heads up before u spend alot of money u might want to make sure u like it. I bought all the stuff for my lil bro, he used it like 2 or 3 times and thats it.

3. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +169
    You can save a lot of money if you have some patience and hunt for deals. Turners has sales regularly, also creekcompany.com has deals every Friday. Last Friday they had their Original U-Boat Combo (U-Boat w/fins and pump) for like 80 or 90 bucks. I have also heard that Sport Chalet has sold the FishCat 4 for 100 bucks in the past.

As far as what to get for a first tube, you might want to start with a U-shaped tube like the U-Boat I mentioned, or a Caddis Nevada or Nevada Gold. They can be had for less than a V-tube so they're good as Big_T said, for finding out if you like it.

For waders, cheap can be ok but try to at least get breathables. There are a lot of opinions on fins but I have been tubing for 20 years and the black plastic ones that strap to the bottom of your boots are fine with me.

4. ehanks

ehanks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool. Thanks for the heads up Big-T. I'll definately check out that one at Big 5. Have you heard anything negative or positive about the BPS White River tube?

5. ehanks

ehanks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definately do some shopping around. I'll keep those brands in mind, though. Are tubes particularly hard to learn how to fish from?

6. jusbayz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,803
    Boat:
    Cobra Fish n Dive
    Tubing has provided some of my best fishing experiences and there's nothing to becoming profficient at it. But be safety conscious to start, find a calm body of water on a low wind day. Be prepared to take a little time to learn an efficient kick and how to spin your tube (cool when fighting a good fish). Oh and when selecting your gear don't forget a good PFD. Tight lines!

7. ehanks

ehanks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will do. I was thinking I would try fishing a pond or a calm section of the river to learn from.

PFD? Sorry, I never learned what that is short for... :)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    PFD = Personal Flotation Device

9. ehanks

ehanks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Gotcha. Cool. Thanks.

10. ehanks

ehanks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just thought of something. Do you guys lip or net your fish when you fish from the tube? I think I'd be afraid of popping it with a bass's dorsal.

11. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,436
    You will learn to fight them correctly.The smaller fish thrash around more it seems. They won`t pop your tube but do leave tiny a pin holes that cause slow leaks every so often.

And yes Real Bass fisherman lip their fish :)

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i would net them its better to be safe then sorry ...never know when you will get that big one and not have the net out :)

13. jusbayz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,803
    Boat:
    Cobra Fish n Dive
    ehanks, I almost always fish the salt and lip spotties all day long. But I have incurred the the "pin-hole" that fishindad noted. This happened as the bass dove for cover after being released (that cover being my dark green Caddis Navigator!). After that I started tossing them a couple of feet away from the tube. It's all good though, anyone who fishes spotties knows that they're pretty hardy fish LOL.

14. ehanks

ehanks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I wouldn't want to be considered a fake bass fisherman, even though I've been fishing 15 out of my 18 years and I always seem to catch bass(funny how that works)...so I'll take a net out with me a couple times to get the hang of fighting the fish from the tube, then I'll most likely just start lipping them.

15. Mr.Fin_S

Mr.Fin_S Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    PM'ed you. a deal on a float tube LMK if you're interested