State of the Union

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fisheromen, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,956
    Name:
    Larry M
    I'm not an economics major so maybe someone can help me here.
    People in the fast food industry want $15 per hour to make a living wage and get it, the tax break gives people more money in their pockets (debatable by some but that's not my point here), and the stock market drops because of inflation worries. Also more jobs were created and the stock market doesn’t like that and they don't like it when jobs are lost.
    My point being by making more money and prices going up because people are making more money what have you gained?
    The people living on fixed income are the ones losing out.
    It's a never ending cycle.

#201 Larry M, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Very respectable. Maybe all of us aren't that different after all, despite what the media may impose.

3. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    I certainly would not have expected THAT reply to Salt Water Guy's post from a 'Man of The Cloth.'

Yours in baby Jesus,

rana

4. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475

'People' may be making more money Larry but real buying power has been stagnant since the 1980's. Still getting the same product but at a slightly higher cost as your wage increases. Seems to balance out.

Yes, there are more job's but unfortunately they are predominately very low-paying jobs as the workforce increases due to inflationary concerns. Seeing Seniors who should be enjoying comfortable retirements now working minimum wage in big box stores is depressing. This is not because there is nothing to do at home, if they have a home, they may be living in a vehicle and following work.This is to enable them to survive, to eat, in this society where there is a catastrophic collapse of social bonds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,481
    Guess I'll chime in. Nothing like the millennial take on things lol.

I'm old enough to remember (barely, but do) Bill Clinton becoming president. My parents are both middle-right politically. We also ran (and my father still does to this day) our own business from about the time I turned 6. My entire life has been work. Wanted something? Work for it. Wanted to go run off with friends for a day, needing the car? Better be able to afford putting gas in it at least twice, and be prepared to do some errands on the way home. This has greatly shaped how I look at things politically. I've pretty much always had an issue with entitlement programs that do not require any input of any kind from those who benefit. Having spent the last 9 years in retail I've had the pleasure of watching folks with expensive phones and massive fuel hog SUVs load up on steak and lobster (very specifically this, many times) on food stamps and food stamps alone.
    Growing up as I did in Arizona (and I know its much the same here as well) I lived in a part of Phoenix that at the time was nothing but cotton, corn, and melon fields. Naturally, these farms needed labor, and I went to school with the kids of those who did the labor. I was friends with a lot of them. I broke bread with them. More than a few times, those families were the ones I stayed with when things at home got hairy. Having grown up here, I don't have quite the same perspective on things, but I know we've got it way better than most places in the world. People want to come here. This is largely a great place to live. But we also have laws that control who and how many and such. Indeed, my wife is a first generation american who didn't learn english until she was 6. Her parents immigrated by boat in the 60s because there wasn't enough opportunity in post-war europe for their families to flourish. We have legal means to immigrate here that exist. Irks me that we should be so open as to ignore enforcement of these laws.
    I was taught by first my parents, and then in the schools, what the constitution meant. Even that wonderfully controversial 2nd amendment. I didn't grow up around guns. My father does not like them. I held a firearm for the first time when I was 19 years old. I already knew then from history that the ability to arm myself was kinda sorta central to my ability to protect myself. Not just from the government, but from the worst parts of society. I got shot at the first time when I was in 6th grade. Bad guys have guns and don't care about laws. Restricting law-abiding citizens from being able to defend themselves just doesn't make any good sense.

Those are the three main issues I look at when I vote. You can probably guess from there where my vote went. That said, my views on abortion (no) and gay marraige (yes) also get rolled in some (though these last two more correctly get lumped into how I vote for senate and house). Do I get everything in one package? Nope. But given that I want the government to leave us alone, regardless of whatever insane identity is attached to us, while sticking to my main three points, the choice was kinda clear to me. For what its worth, thats where I stand. I don't care too much about who the President is. They *do* have a huge amount of power, probably more than was even intended by the fine gentlemen who wrote our Constitution all those years ago. Where they attempt to guide policy matters, but mostly just causes me to focus on what the critters on the hill are doing.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,948
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    SWG and I have been good-naturedly sparing on here for years. Besides that, I probably don't come anywhere close to most people's stereotypical image of a preacher. :)

#206 fisheromen, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,132
    Name:
    Kyle
    We as fisherman/women should form a political pact similar to the NRA for fishing issues to represent our rights and interests. Also when giving to charity, make sure it's not to an anti-fishing group, there are some out there...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,132
    Name:
    Kyle
    Also the NRA museum near DC is awesome, go if you have the chance. As much as I love California, the gun laws here are nuts...

Sorry to go off track.

9. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475

Does this mean all we can fish are Colt Sniper's?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Any examples of these groups? I'd love to know who to watch out for.

11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,304
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    ASPCA, Muir society, Sierra club, etc etc etc.. Hell, the CA dfg....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,481
    Gotta love that to engage in our sport we have the luxury of paying an organization that doesn't care for our sport at all, with the alternative being that we get to face large fines....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,132
    Name:
    Kyle
    Yep, what Werfless said. All those organizations that state "leave no trace but footprints". Many of them want to kill hunting and fishing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,132
    Name:
    Kyle
    #214 kyle12345, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  15. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,577
    I don’t have any problem with hunting personally...but what I do have a problem with is hunters who get mad when somebody keeps a bass...

16. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,132
    Name:
    Kyle
    Sometimes we must have empathy for others.. I remember a few times when the Macs were biting and I wanted to catch fish, I caught an entire cooler full of Macs for this nice family. Their smiles were so big, it reminded me of someone very close to me and her stories growing up poor. Sometimes that deer or even bass may be the only food that family has to eat.. I know that is the case where I come from in the midwest.. That is what irks me about rich "hippy vegans" here who are blessed and can afford expensive tofu and such.

Sorry for the string of posts here.. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,577
    Personally I don’t keep bass...not for any ethical reasons...because I’m lazy and I hate cleaning and cutting fish...at least that was the original reason I got into bass fishing...I used to see people throw em back and I thought that was awesome...growing up I was never into fishing but I would hang out with pops at the bay...he’d keep anything legal he caught...than I’d have to clean em...of course now after some time fishing I’ve learned about the benefits of c & r....but if bass tasted and had filets the size of halibut...The catch and release nazis would hate me..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. RolloTomasi

RolloTomasi “,,, prisoner in a world of mystery...”
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,632
    Name:
    c
    Boat:
    Nice tube cheap yak
    i read that the wwf is
    wwf is bad, too, connected to rockefellers, who want to thin the herd (us).

19. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,915
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Let's return to natural selection and survival of the fittest...that should solve everyone's problems, especially in California!

20. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,696
    Just get rid of warning labels and the herd will thin itself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List