State of the Union

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fisheromen, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,509
    I’m pretty sure tidepods have warning labels...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,817
    Name:
    Larry M

Screenshot_2018-02-08-19-58-19-1.png

Just backing up what swings are free said.

#222 Larry M, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,825
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I'm thankful for the lead warning labels on my sinkers...I'm sure I would've eaten hundreds of them by now! I love the new warnings on all of the drug commercials on tv...do not take this drug if you are allergic to it...no duh, thank you!! It is said the meek shall inherit the earth...it does not say the hopelessly dumb will overpopulate the earth!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,790
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Then what do you use them for??

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,825
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Melt them down and make bullets out of them...we're going to need them! Newsome and Villaraigosa are leading in the governor polls!

6. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,790
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Sounds interesting, but I think I'll just stick to shredding them with a cheese grater to sprinkle on my spaghetti.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,825
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Post your recipe!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,373
  9. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    In Australia, there was a shooting at a school in 1999. And you know, after that, they took a lot of ideas, they put legislation together, and they stopped it. Can anyone here guess how many shootings there have been in the schools since then in Australia? Zero.

10. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,316
    What do you attribute to the zero school shootings in Australia?

11. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Gret question. Rather than going into my beliefs regarding this for a page an a half here is a Google page that pretty well covers it.

attribute to the zero school shootings in Australia - Google Search

Seems to work just fine in Scandinavia, Japan, ...also. We are the most violent country in the world internally with our gun attitude. There is NO rationalizing, there are no 'fixes' that are not emotionally based,. NO other country comes even close to our death by gun numbers, NONE! This is purely an emotional issue at this point, there truly is NO RATIONAL REASON to carry a gun in a modern, 'FREE' society.

12. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,492
    Boat:
    Nice tube cheap yak
    if i saw the actual application of rule of law, i might be more willing to consider the idea, but elitists kill (clintons & bushes), while common folk can't jay-walk without consequences. Society might be "modern," and that's a double-edged sword in this context, human nature hasn't changed since before Cain killed Abel... and he didn't have a gun.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  13. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,336
    Bad guys have guns. Good guys have guns, too. I'm part of the good guy group. I'll be hanging on to mine regardless.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475

I didn’t think that was ever in question Creek. Bang-Away…

I am curious though. Since there are more good guys with guns in the USA than almost everywhere else in the world. Why do we still have shootings here at all? If we did not have an armed populous an armed enforcement of the populous would not be necessary and they are dug in like parasitic ticks. Most people don't recognize them for the disease they represent. It's always hard to free people from the chains they've come to love.

This gun thing is a social pathology of collapse: unique to American life. No other Country has this problem near what's happening here. We are going to be the first ‘rich’ nation to go under and it’s not that far away.The "west" is finished. And it won't be Russia or China that does us in. It'll be freaking SUICIDE.

Or stupidity, for which there won't be enough Darwin awards.

I am facing a dilemma now though. I need a boat gun. Used to go down to Western Metal and buy a boat gun while I was replacing my hip boots. Boots would wear out about the time the gun rusted shut so it was worth the trip.

Not having ‘boated’ in awhile I find out things have changed dramatically. WTF is it with B.F. Goodrich??? They no longer make hip boots? Google sends me to e-bay where for $75 there were a pair with patches, duct-taped together, and, marketed as RARE and VINTAGE!!! Holy chit, am I rare and vintage now?

That news at least didn’t cost me anything. I toddle off into rare and vintage land to the #5 I think it was, around the homeless encampment down by Midway and Rosecrans where the Zanzibar Drive-in was. Girls delivered to the car on roller skates. Sure miss that. Miss my 56’ Premiere also. Lowered all around, skate wheels under the rear bumper to get over the railroad tracks coming off of 101 to cruise Broadway looking for ‘adventure.’ Candy Purple with purple lights under the dash so I could see Baby’s legs. (married ‘Baby’, that was a fail…) so… Vintage mind, I get it.

Back on track. Sporting goods store guy say’s I need to have permission from the State to buy a boat gun now. O.K. Call em’ up and get permission then sell me a boat gun. (used to be like $47.50 but I expect they went up). Never did get to pricing because there are numerous forms, attachments and A HUNDRED AND SOME DOLLARS,… CASH AMERICAN... and some weeks to find out if all that krap SDPD used to put me and others through at the Marlin Inn bar next to the sport docks ever got written down.

Sheesh. A hundred and some dollars to get PERMISSION to get a boat gun? What a kroc-O-krap. I should put in an order with the Guy’s I used to know in SE, they won’t want any permission slips…What a dickstomp by the Fed’s, and I cannot even talk about the fish and Game people and THEIR licensing fees…sure ain’t what it usto…

15. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,790
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a boat gun? At first I pictured one of those big ones the navy patrol boats have mounted on their bows. Are you talking a flare gun, or something to fight off Somali pirates, or... ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,336
    My "in-home" weapons are for the protection of myself and my family. There is no "bang away" for Creek. I don't "get off" shooting my weapons for practice. In fact, I haven't shot my house weapons in well over three years now. They are however maintained meticulously so that there would never be a failure if the weapons were deemed needed.

We have shootings for one real reason... Because our politicians and the laws they created have made it too easy for bad guys to literally get away with murder.

#236 Creek, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  17. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,790
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Everyone just looked at me to see why I randomly started laughing my *** of in the middle of class hahahahahaha

18. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
  19. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475

Never have to apologize for recognized ignorance Guy, that is where learning comes in and you grow. I appreciate your question. Doubt that few other than Werfless has ever been around that term, it would be completely unknown to you.

Since discovering that it’s easier to buy a U.S. Senator now than a boat gun you do deserve an explanation. AND why are you in class today, thought Friday was ditch day for the snow???

In the past, before gun laws became so stringent here in the U.S., every commercial boat and many sports had a boat gun. What type it was dictated by it's intended uses. When fishing Pacific Halibut just about any pistol, but most preferred a rifle or shotgun as you could get it down onto the intended spot easier and safer. A 410 was pretty much the deal, did the job, was light, short-barreled and effective.

On the bait boats (old type lift pole boats, before seiners) large caliber rifles were preferred.

In the SoCal sportfishing industry it was a crap shoot. Many rifles of all calibers and a few, myself included, shotguns. They were used practically in the industry although many of the skippers of that era were from the 'rum-running' days of prohibition. I worked deck for Mel Shears at one time and he was one of them. Had lost his right eye somewhere along the line and had to crawl the stock as he was right-handed but an amazing shot to watch on porpoising seals.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  20. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +625
    Maybe it changed when we now point out how different we are and we used to point our similarities...We used to be a melting pot....melded into one culture and common values...now we are a salad...all different ingredients...all separate...but what do I know... only been a taxpayer for over 45 years...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List