Stolen Boat

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by avuksans, Jun 14, 2019.

1. avuksans

avuksans Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Hi All-

Sorry that this isn't a great fishing report, but I thought I should let all the private boaters here know that the other day my 22' center console was stolen from my slip in Quivera Basin. The thieves punched the ignition and somehow got the boat started, took it for a joy ride and docked it at the courtesy dock in Dana Landing. They broke the lock on the center console which housed three tackle boxes full of lures and worth over $900. The pillaged through the rest of the boat, but luckily there wasn't much else to take. The scratched up the hull I'm guessing when pulling upto the dock but it could have been worse. The Lifeguards recovered the boat after it was sitting unattended on the Dana dock on 6/12 for some period of time.

Today I learned that another boat was stolen from my same dock and their fate was much worse. Their boat was found adrift in mission bay missing electronics, lights, engines components, etc...

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up and ask folks to be on the look out for anything that looks suspicious.

It seems that a crew is working from the water targeting private boats slipped in Quivera Basin and likely beyond.

• Helpful Helpful x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,699
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Damn.. Puts dock hopping in a new light.. Ugly, thanks for letting us know

3. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,715
    Freakin lowlife scum! Bastiges! So wrong!

4. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,657
    I thought Dana had cameras for some reason. Footage of the dump?

5. Tnel73

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,166
    Driscolls or marina village?

6. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,105
    Pirates should have their necks stretched

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,715
    Eviscerated like William Wallace in Braveheart!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Tnel73

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,166
    Well my boats slipped in quivera in one of them marinas, and I'm now making a made dash down there to check it all out... hopefully they caught them FU(&R's

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. vaughanmatt13

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +308
    Name:
    Matthew Vaughan
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    I wk at security at a YC in Pt Loma TY for the report I will put my staff on notice to be on the look out.

10. avuksans

Ratings:
    +27
    The boat is at Marina Village. They dropped it at the courtesy dock at Dana which I'm told does not have cameras as it's run by the city. I spoke with Dana Landing and they do have cameras but they don't cover the courtesy dock.

11. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,715
    Anyone have high level Government contacts? Satellite video?

12. Tnel73

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,166
    I guess having a tuna boat
    what isle where you on and how far from the end? I've got friends over there that do the security and there's some rumors going around about cameras on certain boats and bait barge and ect ect ect. The harbor police are now all up in there. Apparently they've stricken at a few other local Mariana's. So it's only a matter of time. They've been seen tho. They do have them on film. But not much good comes from night video these days. I'm so sorry avuksans I'm glad tho that you at least got your boat back! The guys at MV, Seaforth, and at Driscolls are all on high alert. I'm literally thinking about taking the next 5 days to stay on my boat. 2 beds and a bathroom I'll take that as s staycastion on the water. Do some nigh watching/spotty/shark fishing time.

13. avuksans

Ratings:
    +27
    I'm on C dock which runs parallel to all the convention space at Marina Village. My slip is almost at the end where you exit the docks to motor into Quivera basin. The other boat that was left in much worse shape than mine was only 5 slips down. That boat was gutted. I'm sure there are cameras somewhere. The marina said that some people put Ring systems on their boats that are motion activated. I'm going to put a GPS tracker on my boat and more importantly lock my boat to the dock with a Python Masterlock system. I hope that will make it more challenging in the future. There are now a lot of folks from AZ in Marina Village living aboard for the summer so the more traffic I'm sure will help. That being said there are a lot of boats in all the slips with tons of fishing gear, etc.. just sitting out in the open for the taking. I think it's good that we all realize that there are bad people out there aware of the trusting boating community so we all need to do our due diligence to protect our assets even if it's a pain to schlep gear to and from your boat. They busted through my center console lock no problem, so unless you reinforce your locks with another sturdy system nothing is really safe.

I don't know when my boat was taken, but I'm guessing it was all done in one day. I went fishing on Sunday, 6/9 and it was tied up at the Dana Courtesy Dock mid day on 6/12. The towed it to the lifeguard station after being "abandoned" at 3:30 on 6/12. I'm guessing they got it running, pillaged through it, went to Dana and walked off with all my tackle for a quick buck.

I still consider myself lucky as my electronics are in tact, and besides some hull scratches everything seems in working order.

Thanks for everyones feedback and if anyone has any leads please let me know as I did file a police report.

Thanks,
    Alex

14. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,834
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Do you have a list of tackle you could post in case they try to sell it to SDFish members?

15. von_smozel

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +866
    Any swapmeet regulars, BOLO!

16. avuksans

Ratings:
    +27
    Yes - I can let you know what they stolen as I had just re-organized and labeled the three tackle boxes just before my trip on Sunday.

There were 3 large plastic tackle boxes that you'd pick up from Turners or other tackle shops.

Box 1: Full of trolling lures including Rapala XRaps from 10' to 30' in green/blue mac colors. Also in that box was a few cedar plugs and some squid trolling lures. About 10-12 lures in that box.

Box 2: Full of surface irons and yo-yo irons including just purchased kicker lures. Also in that box were some Laser Minnows and assorting stick baits and a bunch of shimano flat fall lures in various colors. That box probably had 12-15 lures.

Box 3: Full of numerous surface baits, including colt snipers, Nomad Madscat lures, various Savage gear stick baits. Again there were a good 8-12 lures in this box.

1/2 of the tackle was new as I was preparing for the upcoming Yellowtail, Pelagic season and had just bought a bunch of tackle based on the input from the smart people on this board and unfortunately didn't get to try them out.

The only other thing of value they stole was a hand-held VHF radio from West Marine.

I did look on craigslist to see if someone was posting a bunch of tackle boxes of lures as I'd definitely be able to ID my stuff especially since I just organized everything, and even labeled the three boxes for quick ID on the water.

I appreciate everyone keeping their eyes out.

Thank You!!!

A

17. Tnel73

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,166
    This is on offer up for really cheap if this is yours

IMG_3624.PNG

18. avuksans

Ratings:
    +27
    It's hard to tell from the photos as they are lower resolution. The top three right two and middle one are the same style as mine. The top right one could be it, but they didn't have whatever that white sticker is on the back of the case so it might not be mine.

Can you let me know where this is posted so I can see if I can grab a higher resolution photos - Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Mhcato

Mhcato Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    My buddy’s boat was stolen from Quivira back in April. Sounds like the same exact situation. Had ignition key punched or hot wired around midnight. Even though the police were called shortly after it was stolen by another resident of the dock and they supposedly sent up the police chopper they didn’t catch the guys and the boat was found the next day in mariners cove with some damage and items stolen. His boat was in the slip closest to the shore, not sure if the thieves climbed the locked gate, waded or swam to the boat or accessed from another boat on the water.

20. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,657
    Dang it. Too bad.