Storing Soft Plastics?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by fishes, Sep 10, 2017.

1. fishes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +203
    Name:
    Chris
    What's everyone using to store their soft plastics?

After the last shore pounders event, I realized my storage methods could use some improvement. I currently store about 20 bags in a gallon ziplock but I found this is annoyingly frustrating to keep organized when I have to pull them all out to find the bag I need. At the end of shore pounders, the back of my car was a scattered mess of bags.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Rokbury14

Rokbury14 I never have to feel like that again
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,210
    Name:
    Steve
    Here's what I do till I find a better way. Like you, two big Ash ziplocks.. one I'm probably gonna use....one I'm definitely not. The not pack stays in the truck. The probably one goes into the back pack wth the one or two baits I'm gonna use in my back pocket along with a smaller ziplock of tackle for a break off. I drop the pack... work the shore....grab the pack...move on. If i need a fresh bait...its in the pocket. Some times I don't even carry the pack. I'm working on a better way. Was talking to Paulito this SP about downsizing. Better ideas?

#2 Rokbury14, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. FishingwithPiscifun

SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +123
    I keep everything I have in large tackle systems at home, then load up what I'm actually going to use in smaller stuff (usually a few 3600's) to bring with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    One Flambeau 4006 divided plastic box that goes in my tackle bag holds a ton of them, Just don't put any ZMans in unless you like jello ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,383
    Oh boy.... Tackle storage... This is a true story.

Ok so when I was just really starting to get into fishing plastics, it was a mandatory thing for me to have as many plastics as possible, making sure I covered every color imaginable and not to mention every type. Worm king, fish trap, Artifishables, MC, yum, big hammers, you name it I had it. Don't get me started on jigheads.
    So at first I'd buy the plastic Plano storage boxes, put some kool shimano or tackle warehouse stickers on them and start piling them in the trunk. Well, with 24 boxes full of assorted hard and soft plastics(not kidding) and another Rubbermaid tub for all of my fishing line, and then another 4 boxes of jigheads, and then two more boxes of swivels, misc hooks, sliding sinkers, blah blah, my car was like a mobile tackle store. Had 6 rods in the front lol.
    When it was time to go fish, I'd take my backpack, stuff it with 3-4 boxes, and be on my way. Now, it's great to be "ready" for anything, but when you can't go grocery shopping or pick up the kids from school due to fishing gear in the trunk, and some in the back seats, you get yelled at. A mutual agreement was made so that I keep stuff at home and only have a few boxes with me, enough for one backpack load. I had narrowed all my crap down to one box of soft plastics, one box of hard plastics, one for surf fishing, and the rest stayed home, thinking about what I'm going to use became much easier. Then, during that time, I was studying my logs and I noticed a pattern with all my better sessions. This is when I found that greens, browns, oranges, and black at night, had done much better than the rest. Then I went to using two boxes, and it remained that way for several years. Now, I pack super light. I take one zman plastics bag(3 patterns) and I toss some jigheads in there, and stick it in my pocket. Nail clippers around my neck, pliers in other pocket. I fish for bass 90% of the time, so I only fish with what I know works good.
    My point? You don't need everything from the shelf at the tackle store, at least not with you during the session lol. Storage should be easy. Pull out your top three confidence baits, and start chuckin.
    If you have a lot of stuff like I do, and meant how do you store them at home, there really isn't a right answer. I have several storage boxes tucked into big boxes and Rubbermaid tubs. I keep everything separate by type of fishing (vina, bass, corbina, etc.)
    I have another tub full of misc plastics that I've acquired over the years that have never touched the water.
    I'm a certified tackle ho, or at least I used to be.

Keep it light and you won't have storage issues.

#5 dj thrillz, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  6. fishes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +203
    Name:
    Chris
    I hear ya. After subscribing to Lucky Tackle Box and Mystery Tackle Box for several months, I'm left with a bunch of new lures (mostly plastics) and looking to catch at least one fish on each bait.

I think I found my solution - tackle binders! Didn't know these were a thing until a little Googling led me to the Shimano Baraja tackle binder. Think I'll give this a shot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. kingkao

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +398
    Great post. I am notorious for hording all kinds of fishing gear in which half tp 3/4 I don't use. I always thought I should have it just incase I might need it one day. Those days don't come so some gear and lures just sit there. Now I only buy stuff I do need and am still trying to figure out the pack light situation down. I've started to get smaller tackle bags/backpacks so it forces me to pack lighter instead of bringing the whole closet of gear.

For plastic storage. I keep them in their original package. I only take out one or two and put them in sandwich plastic bags for the day I go out and what I am targeting. This way I dont bring excess gear.
    If it is Gulp plastics, I have small containers I got from Michaels which I put them in because of that Gulp juice. Gotta keep them hydrated so they don't dry out. The container is small enough so I can bring it with me. I basically have a jar of sandworms and mullets.

8. jongoodhue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +903
    As Robbie said, I got a backpack. I LOVE this thing. I've since labeled the boxes so I can pull out specific things. I got all my plastics and jig heads in one box. It's super convenient.

IMG_4338.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,414
    LOL
    My nephew bought this and playing with it, I realized that it was too small for my pelagic pursuits......

However, I may try this for Shorepounding.

10. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +645
    lately, my sessions have been short so i leave most of my stuff at home. have a compact 8 compartment storage thing for my terminal tackle, a ziplock for plastics, or a bag of gulp or zmans, a spool of flouro, pliers and nail cutters. all stuffed into a fanny pack. i make room for a jerkbait when im surf fishing.

11. FishingwithPiscifun

SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +123
    Float tube and kayak fishing teaches you to condense things pretty quickly haha. Even fly fishing. Fly tying was the worse. I tie so many different patterns, and always feel the need to tie a dozen of each new pattern too. Yet I probably only actually fish about 6 different patterns here consistently. I usually end up donating a lot of flies every year to PHW. It's best to think of fly tying as a completely separate hobby away from fishing. I could see regular tackle getting that way too, yet I'm not nearly as bad with that. It's too expensive to get terribly hoarded with it (at least for me). I'm also a subscriber to MTB, but I just set aside the stuff I know I won't use and put it up on ebay a couple of times a year when I get a decent sized lot saved up. Everything out here bass wise is overgrown, shallow ponds and wetlands, so I have little use for things like crankbaits and jerkbaits, specially if they are deep divers.
    Downsizing what you actually bring with you can really help make you a better fisherman, at least in my eye. Fish a smaller selection at a time and become much more familiar with them, rather than blowing through a big selection hoping to find that "magical" color or lure. I know when I'm trying to learn a new technique, I like to bring the stuff for ONLY that, to resist that urge to ditch it in 10 minutes because I hadn't had a bite.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,383
    They become really bulky. I don't like them.

13. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,152
    Well I recently decided I had to down size my shore pounding gear so what I've done is I rig one of each color on a different jig heads so if I break off I have some pre rigged and can tie up real quick if I just want to try a different color I have 2 of each of my Z-Man in a couple or so of the original wrappers ( you can't mix them with other plastics or you'll have a mess of melted plastics) I then do the same for my Gulp plastics, then I have some misc. plastics mixed in a bag,I also have some small plastic boxes I found at Walmart and put 2 of each type of lure like 2 LC'S RATTLE TRAPS, SPINNERS, CRANKS and so on, with one box I have all sizes of hooks and a box for most weights it all fits into a hunting fanny pack ( Dicks Sports ) all my other tackle is in my backpack in the car in case I need something I didn't put in my pack.
    I find I usually only use 2 to 3 different lures when I'm shore pounding so going light has helped in keeping my energy up and with all of it all in front of me in my FP I can get to it easily.
    That's my system for now, I only recently decided I was going way over board with what I was bringing with me.

#13 Vito1023, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  14. FishingwithPiscifun

SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +123
    Its funny, I had to come back to this. After posting about selling or giving away half my MTB baits, I got this months box and it ROCKED! Got the complete slam for the pro bass box on my first outing (with video). Guess I'm keeping everything this month...