Stowing rods for surf launch

Discussion in 'Kayak and Paddle Board Fishing' started by NibbleSquad, Oct 12, 2019.

1. NibbleSquad

NibbleSquad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +426
    Has anyone found a good method for stowing rods for surf launches? My kayak doesn't allow me to store it inside. I was thinking an 8' pvc pipe with threaded caps to hang off the side might work but i'm looking for a better idea.

2. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    I have seen a cone type thing mounted near the bow/side for the rod tip. And then something similar to a paddle holder for the rod. Figuring I'd be flipping at landing, I purposely bought a kayak with hull access and storage for my rods.

3. NibbleSquad

Ratings:
    +426
    Thanks i like that idea. Just need to find out how to mount a cone without drilling into my kayak

4. Dionisiooh

Dionisiooh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +39
  5. NibbleSquad

Ratings:
    +426
    I ended up doing something very similar. I cut a bottle in half and glued a section of pool noodle inside. Then attached that to the front carry handle. Securing the handle of the rods with the paddle strap/bungee and slipped the rod tips into the bottle at the bow.

6. Rawdeezy

Rawdeezy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +276
    Lol did my first surf launch on my yak, (second launch ever) broke my paddle and one of my rods. Rods were placed in rod holders facing upward. Definitely looming at this for next time.