Studying Pays off!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by mattgulptosser, Aug 26, 2017.

1. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,636
    I hope y'all will forgive me, for this isn't a San Diego-based report in the usual sense (but I'm from there, I swear!).
    I'm currently attending the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, and man oh man, is it dry here. Nearest public fishing is a 40 minute bus ride to a series of ponds diverged from the Rio Grande, where in my semi-professional (i.e. obsessive) opinion, the only thing living there is catfish. Of course, this just means I need to figure out what flies a cat will eat (any suggestions, gurus?).
    Anyhow, I reckon I would have sunk into a depression had it not been for the duck pond on campus. At least a dozen each of carp and koi, and a few smaller bass--biggest is probably 13'' or so--as a bonus.
    I spent every minute between classes this week staring into the stained water, trying to figure out their patterns, and I learned where they hung out early, midday, and where they staged up for the night.

Put simply, it paid off.

I walked down early this morning and set up in the dark. Studiously ignoring the 'No Fishing' signs, I tossed dries--which were even more studiously ignored--and then switched to a san juan worm. First cast, a 4lb koi charged over and sucked it in. They don't fight as hard as carp, but still very cool to see him slide into the pool of light from a lamp overhead and grab it. After losing a big, bright orange fella I'd marked earlier that day, I decided that it was getting too light out and headed home. Currently writing this in the laundry room.
    Again, this isn't an SD report, but that's where I caught the fly fishing bug and I still want to show off this passion of mine. I'll maybe post once more, when I can get a decent picture in the low light.

2. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,223
    Reading your post i immediately think of the Koi pond in Balboa Park. Many times i thought about it but never did.....Explore the area from what I've read and see on fishing shows there's some excellent places to fly fish in N.M......Good Luck to ya.......

3. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,636
    Oh, those Balboa koi! So tempting...but yes Northern NM has very good trout fishing, I just need some friends with cars now ;)

4. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,149
    I've caught a lot of catfish (and carp) locally on wooly buggers and similar, generally black. Nymphs work also.
    I've done a lot of fly fishing in Northern NM (Chama river, Jemez area streams, and in the Rio Grande, and its tributaries up near Taos. Beautiful country up there! Drop me a note if you want any info.

5. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,636
    I'm actually headed up to Jemez or the Chama next weekend! And I agree, I've been to the San Juan and the upper Pecos. Beautiful indeed. Thanks for the tip on the cats