Suggestions for 3/4 or full day in July

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Delorian, May 19, 2019.

1. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Name:
    Chris
    Hey everyone

I want to take my dad on a 3/4 or full day in July to try to get on some bigger fish. We've done the 1/2 day thing and he likes that so I think a 3/4 may be a lot of fun for him. He now has a Slammer 6500 with 50# braid on a Carnage II rod so he should be able to handle most anything and can change up the leaders for various presentations fast. He likes the spinners since its easier and he doesn't want to learn conventional this late in the game ha. I've got a Fathom 25N for a jigstick and a Fathom 25NLD2 for live bait. Both are set up for 40#. I have a few other setups for 20-25# too.

What's a good boat for that time of year? Who likes what 3/4 day? Typical targets are yellowtail I imagine on the 3/4s no? I've only ever done 1/2s so this will be a new destination for fishing for us.

Thanks!

2. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Name:
    Chris
    Oh and Sunday's are pretty much a must with my work schedule. So it'd have to run that.

3. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    I’d run on the Mission Belle or Grande as my boat of choice. Great crew and two of the best offshore/island Captains on that boat on the Belle, it’s great low fishing fishing platform that allows you to fish most of the boat with ease... and the Grande is just a pleasure to fish on, that thing is a tank. Outclasses every boat in terms of comfort.

You’re good on gear, nothing I would change. You’ll be fishing yellowtail and early season tuna... so I’d bring a 20-30lb set up and the jig stick. Your 25NLD can do all of that fine. Maybe investing in a 112 Baja Special for as a 50lb DL and Yo-yo Set up. Short beef stick and you’re set.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,784
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Can’t go wrong with the Liberty, San Diego, Grande, or the Belle. I’ve fished them all and they all are very well-run operations. I’m working the Grande here and there this season but they’re all great boats.

5. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Name:
    Chris
    I have a Fathom2 20 LW coming so new tackle funds are tight ha. For the what if / maybe in the future, I was thinking a 40LD2 for 50/60# and heavy yo-yo. But that's not for a good while. The 25NLD2 should pull OK duty for 40# yoyo though I'm thinking.

#5 Delorian, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. NextMikeSays

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +681
    I use my 25N for yo-yo and 38 inches per turn is almost 40 and will get you bit.

7. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Name:
    Chris
    Thanks everyone. I’ll look into those boats. Anything special to picking yo-yo irons other than size and color? Surface iron is a science.

8. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,348
    Take your time if you’re riding a 3/4 day boat to make that reservation. Monitor the load counts till you’re about a week away or so. Those boats don’t usually fill up more than a week in advance. Particularly because it seems like the new normal is to switch between YT and BFT trips at the last minute.

You might end up fishing for both, but maybe you’d prefer to jump on a trip that specifically starts out targeting one or the other, and then if conditions change near the date of the trip and they decide to chase the other fish, well, that’s only because that fish is biting so well and that’s the best chance to catch some incredible fish.

Really you’ll have an awesome trip one way or other sticking with the boats that have been mentioned earlier. The Liberty has been red hot for bft over the last month. The San Diego has been doing very, very well for BFT too with some amazing days and they’re always great for the YT. The mission belle has had a terrific run of great YT fishing with some BFT mixed in. I’ve never been on the mission belle or grande though.

9. Graydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +810
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    One thing to consider that has nothing to do with the fishing is that the Grande and Liberty have bunks you can rent for like 2 bucks and sleep on the way out to the islands which is nice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,990
    Name:
    Kyle
    My 2 cents. For folks newer to the sport or wanting more consistent action, I would do a yellowtail trip over a bft one.

11. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,316
    Name:
    Kenny
    For action:
    1) The San Diego
    2) Mission Belle
    3) Liberty

For comfort:
    1) Liberty
    2) Grande
    3) Mission Belle

If you book something that's calling the trip 3/4 day, I'd confirm the target/fishing grounds. Some go to the islands (Malihini) and some fish the 1/2 day territory for just a longer day. I recommend a full day islands trip for your best shot at YT. Yes, they're caught locally on 1/2 and 3/4 days but not nearly in the numbers that you get at the islands. That said, July will likely sell out our full day fleet every weekend. If you can, try to go on a week day to avoid crowds otherwise I hope your dad has patience - the crowds are the hurdle for my dad to get over and I'm still trying to get him out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List