Suggestions for a light trolling reel please.

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by KeeperDave, Mar 7, 2008.

1. KeeperDave

KeeperDave Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I posted this question on the old board the day before the change. I never saw it again so I'll try here...

I'm looking for a small baitcasting reel, about Shimano 200-300 size, with a clicker and left hand drive. I want to use it for light trolling from a kayak. The closest I've found is the Shimano Tekota 300, but it only comes in right hand drive. I'd like to keep it around $100-$150. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

2. CoffeeGrinder

CoffeeGrinder New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A few lefty suggestions:

Abu Garcia C4 5600 or 6600 $85/$90

Abu Garcia Record RCN 50 or 60 $130/$140

Daiwa Coastal Inshore Special 153H $130

A bit bigger reel:

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur BG 7000 HS $140

I've had good experiences with Charkbait in Huntington Beach finding left handed reels. Check out their website or call the 800 number and they will "hook" you up.

3. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +641
    How about the shimano corvalus300...mine is 3yrs old and has landed a lot and still on the orig drags...but for a light troller...tld 15

4. Shyazn8boi

Shyazn8boi New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I prefer getting a Penn 4/0 or Penn 3/0 reel.. Special Senator. They run around $100's

If you get a Penn 3/0 its almost the same size as a Penn Jigmaster

Goodluck finding one

5. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    I agree with the Senators. They actually make a 2/0 reel but I don't know if you would want to troll with it. I would stick with the 3/0 and 4/0. You can find some nice ones on E-bay. I bout one for $75 and it was in great shape. I plan to by a nice rod for it at the Fred Hall show here in Del Mar.

6. capt.cabo

capt.cabo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just go a saltist Daiwa 30 loaded it with 50 braided and top shot of 20lb. flourocarbon works great on anything, all you have to do is change the top shot.

7. rpnick

rpnick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think he was meaning "baitcaster" as a smaller levelwind as opposed to a big ol' honkin' heavy Senator, but I guess I could be wrong. The coastal kicks butt, and I love mine, but no clicker = lousy for trolling. Also a little small on the line capacity for trolling, even with braid. If I'm on the right track here, a Calcutta 401, or as craw suggested a Corvalus. Tld? Nice but is it available lefty, and it isn't really a "baitcaster". Maybe a 10/30 star? I think they're available lefty, or perhaps a Newell 220 or 229 for light, non levelwind option? Btw, what rod were you thinking of putting the reel on? That's really what we need to know to give you a better idea. Hope this gives you some ideas though!

8. KeeperDave

KeeperDave Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm the OP and after much investigation I went with the Corvallus 401, the lefty version of the 400. I thought long and hard about the higher end Shimanos, but since this reel is mainly for use in a kayak and might well end up at the bottom of the bay, I opted lower and matched it up with a 6' 8-20lb Ugly Stick. Can't wait to get out Friday and try 'em out.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

9. Shyazn8boi

Shyazn8boi New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Go with a Shimano Torium 20 instead of a 4/0 if you don't like heavy reels (be a man).

Well if you prefer light reels instead of a "ol' honkin' heavy Senator" T20 would be very nice for light trolling reel.

BTW.. I would not prefer using a levelwind for trolling, you'll just break that levelwind when you hooked on a big fish.