Sunday 9/27/20 @ the SD River

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Vet4Fishing, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Vet4Fishing

Vet4Fishing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315
    Name:
    Jose Morales
    Good morning fellow anglers,
    Before I talk about how the fishing went yesterday, I want address any fishermen here who are leaving behind your trash.

I have continually come across trash specifically brought in from anglers like: line, worm containers, lure containers, etc. Please discard those in their proper receptacles. There are new receptacles along the river and some at the trolley stations. If I see you fishing at the river and you leave trash behind, I will approach you and call you out. I will take your picture and publicly shame you on the local fishing social media. Please aware that l am looking to work with local volunteer organizations to improve the river park area for anglers but if a few want to ruin it for the majority...oh well. If you are fishing with these people and see them, correct them.

Now, with that said, let's begin.
    Yesterday started out at 9AM in Fashion Valley with overcast sky and still, dark waters. I started out with a white frog (which got me a couple of missed bites for a second time last week or so), then crankbaits, tested some spinnerbaits to see if the mods and trailers worked but no bites this a.m. I saw one or two fish create some surface action but nothing happened so I moved on. It wasn't until 2 hrs.later that I got a small one on a purple Roboworm, didn't take a pic, too insignificant of a size. Moved on upstream and came to a froggy looking pond with heavy overhead cover so I tried a black Senko with blue flake and caught a second fish about a pound and a half (no pic). Then I had to upsize my Senko in the same pattern and found my largest fish of the river ever. Yes, finally have a new PB!! All that hard work paid off! I don't have a scale and the pictures are terrible as far as trying to determine the size. I would guess 3 lbs plus but less than 4 lbs (?). I didn't want to keep her out of the water too long, it was a pretty strenuous fight and she bent my hook. I probably could have scaled her eyelet to eyelet on my pole but I wasn't thinking straight from the rush of adrenaline.
    After that one, I worked my way back downstream but the few fish I could see were not interested in anything I threw. And another 2.5-3 lber came up to my spinnerbait with the purple curl tail trailer but just swam next to it for a brief second or two then swam away. I guess the smell or some visual clue tipped her off.
    After a well earned lunch, I went further into the jungle to find clear waters so I test more spinnerbaits for function and fish reactions. And that little mini Strike King spinnerbait with the twin tail trailer did it again on the first cast! And I did it again with not tying my knot properly so it came undone!! Argh!!
    This time I had my glasses on but it was very dark by 4:30 in this section of the river so I messed up. "Practice, practice, practice", said Cheech and Chong. Last call and last fish on a backup mini Strike spinner makes 4 fish total for the day. I tried another spinnerbait in white with dual willow blades but it has not resulted in the reactions as that dimpled, single bladed Strike King.
    Peace! 20200927_124126.jpg 20200927_124136.jpg 20200927_163114.jpg 20200927_163111.jpg

2. Fishnagent

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +474
    Boat:
    fish cat
    Good job on the pb! Not sure if you are fishing alone, watch yourself down there. I recommend a fishing buddy so someone has your back. Too many people down there that are not in their right mind due to mental illness/drugs. It is a shame because the river is a cool fishery.
    Also agree on the trash issue, it gives ammo to people who want to limit access to our limited free fishing options.

3. Swimjig

Swimjig Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Boat:
    619vs fisherman
    I used to fish the river a few times a week for years. The homeless have taken it over. It just isn't worth it to me any longer. Be safe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Vet4Fishing

Ratings:
    +315
    Name:
    Jose Morales
    Yes, thank you. My fishing buddy has been working days and had some commitments but no worries. I don't see the homeless fishing when I am there but they usually fish behind that sketchy hotel near the baseball fields.

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,803
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Depending on the size of you hand, but I think your weight guess is conservative. Could be 4+. Big ole bucket on that fish!

6. Vet4Fishing

Ratings:
    +315
    Name:
    Jose Morales
    Lol!
    I thought I knew every fish along that stretch of the river because I am down there so frequently and usually spend the entire day working my therapy program i.e., fishing. I was greatly surprised to find this fat sally in this little frog pond. Happy that my knot held up, my 10 lb copoly line didn't break and that she swam away for someone else to respect and admire.

7. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +780
    Boat:
    My buddies
    I think your big one was more in the 5+ lb range. It is hard to tell, but the eyes kind of give it away. Nicely done!!!

8. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,882
    Boat:
    It floats
    Nice fish. Trash is what you get from all the azzholes that don’t buy licenses

9. Vet4Fishing

Ratings:
    +315
    Name:
    Jose Morales
    Thanks,
    Yeah, showed the pics to Bill down at the bait shop and he agrees with you guys.