Sunday, where to fish?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Mhcato, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Mhcato

Mhcato Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171
    I’m planning to take my boat out to fish the last half of the incoming tide on Sunday from ~6a-10a. Question is where to go. I had been planning to launch at SI and fish w/ artificials around the mouth of the bay: Zuniga Pt. And the east side of Point Loma which was productive last month for decent sand bass and calico bite. Been seeing reports of crazy water temp drops shutting down the local kelp bite and thinking it is probably impacting the area I was planning on. What y’all think, should I change up to plan?
    1. launch at pepper park and hit the flats and cays
    2. Launch at SI and head northeast and fish off harbor island and North side of north island?
    3. Mission Bay: the usual program?
    4. Something else?

2. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,957
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    I’d fish no further north of the ferry landing. The water temp hasn’t changed much in the central and South Bay. Caught a few nice Spotties near the ferry landing yesterday and Thursday on mack chunks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Mhcato

Mhcato Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171
    I really got hooked on the tug of the calico and larger sand bass this year near the mouth vs. the spotties I had been focusing on in the past In Mission and South Bay. But... a dozen spotties, even if they are clones, is always better than a skunk if it’s not going on near Zuniga. Anyone have any info on water temp today or reports from this Friday/Saturday?

4. iampumpkinman

iampumpkinman Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Tried a couple spots today, seaport, Spanish landing, and liberty station. Under spin, jighead, Ned rig, all skunk. The water at liberty felt on the cold side but no water temp for you.

5. Mhcato

Mhcato Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171
    I ended up launching at Pepper Park just before sunrise. Ran to the bridge and fished off the seal base and square mile flats then flipped the docks at coronado cays. Off the water around 11:30a Sun never came out it was cold and very foggy. Bite was slow a bit slow but managed a dozen spotties. No dinks but nothing big either. Most fish came on green curly tail on football head and dropshot fluke. The water temp was 67-73 depending on depth and proximity ti the channel