Supervisor Anderson's Board Letter Promoting More lake Access

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    • Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,772
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Done deal , Thank you for your efforts Russ . WR

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    You bet William. Well, I imagine I influenced some of this, maybe getting Sweetwater Authority added. Anderson's Chief of Staff has allowed me as a stakeholder.
    Anybody can insert themselves to some degree via Board meetings, emails , phone and other things.

Anyway, Supervisors Anderson's board letter and petition are well done.

#3 Everydog, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
  5. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,426
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Done

6. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,272
    Done

7. jpm

jpm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
  8. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    This is awesome SD fishers, Good job and thank you all.

The supervisors are going to discuss Anderson’s Lake initiative at this Wednesdays BOS land use meeting .

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    Hello All,

Supervisor Anderson's initiative passed with no objections, and apparently one abstention.
    I can't really say , no one can yet, what the eventual ramifications will be. It looks like the initial agenda is to get back the extra days at city lakes that were never restored. My impression, and that of some allies on this, is that it will go farther. That depends somewhat , maybe mostly on public participation. I think Board of Supervisor support provides sort of a "charter" for prioritizing to a larger degree the needs of the fishing community. That makes sense, The important lake centered recreational fishing opportunities have shrunk during big population growth. Recreation is always supposed to be a top priority for our local representatives, city and county.

Lakes item of today's board meeting starts at 3:12
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8fk03ZkkSA

I got permission to share a letter of support from someone who has been helping me with my advocacy . I wanted to post it for balance. When you see it you will understand the "balance" issue. Be nice please . This was very generous and kind.

Loading Google Docs

#9 Everydog, Nov 17, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    #10 Everydog, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,470
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I sure hope this means more access to fishing and not just access for joggers and hikers! Open open open the lakes 7 days a week! Most other states do it and it works just fine in the Sierras! The fisherman don't need a bunch of babysitters at the lakes, just open them up! The wake boarders are a whole different problem!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    Some of supervisor Anderson’s comments do make it seem that he is after much more than just the one day per month per lake.

can’t hurt to write all the supervisors and tell them what you think about it.
    It's aimed at fishing , hunting, boating, hiking bird watching and "other things people like to do at these lakes and reservoirs" . Supervisor Andersons comment's that I have read and heard indicate that the idea is to open the lakes up a lot more. There was conflicting mention of less , like just get the Fridays back, but the tone and tenor and majority of comments suggested a lot more public access , not just a little. No mention of personal watercraft that I recall.

The main takeaway is that the door has been opened and it's not intended to be temporary. The Supervisors are very powerful in this scheme , so let them know what you are hoping for.

Maybe it will start with just getting a few days back. It just really looks like the goal is to expand it quite a bit from that.

#12 Everydog, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  13. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
  14. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    One last comment then I am going back exclusively to the Sweetwater Authority/Loveland Thread with updates for now:

County Staff has 180 days to come up with a plan and recommendations to show the BOS. If it doesn't happen sooner or there are no extensions it will be discussed at the land use meeting in about six months.

15. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    So by mistake, I went to the Downtown County building thinking there was a land use meeting.

The director for county parks and rec's introduced himself. Nice man, I like him, Brian Albright.
    Seems down to earth. Quick google search shows he like park and rec-run fishing opportunities as it was part of his youth experience, something like that. I am not going to pretend like I am privy to any special information because none was shared and it wasn't time to ask. He reassured me that Supervisor Anderson cares about lake recreation.
    I got the notion there was a little, there's only so much he can do, again, don't expect too much.

However, the tone was definitely one of, don't get high hopes. They are going to present their ideas and info on multi-agency lake management in April or May. Obstacles are that the general fund budget is down year over year, and some water districts aren't friendly.

This multi-agency project is absolutely not going to be a fix for the Sweetwater Authority issues at Loveland. Probably the least good fit for the county if you think about it.

I would say the lack of lake user advocacy isn't helping.

This group is running another petition to get city lakes open more days at city lakes. Which I think was stated as a priority for the County.

Sign the Petition

I'll come back and post when the meeting with the updates is known.