Surf fishing lures

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by bigfishT, Dec 2, 2019.

1. bigfishT

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +145
    Name:
    T
    Can someone explain how to fish in the surf with lures haha. I usually use a rig and let squid sit out there till something pulls drag. But I have a ton of good size daredevil lures from my grandpa and I was wondering if those would work or plastic shad jugs are good. Thanks!!

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,854
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Daredevil , will certainly work even the classic red and white . The hammered all metal are some of my favorites , castability may suffer some due to the flutter in the air but the baitfish action will work on most predatory fish . If the lures are equipped with treble hooks you may want to switch to single Siwash type , maybe even dressed with hair of some kind , helps stabilize in flight . If you put it near the structure be it a hole , rip , or rocks the fish should nail it . The plastic shads will work as well . They work just as good as they did back in the day and maybe just the ticket if the fish haven't seen it before . Keep in mind that some of the lures you may have just might have collector value , and the sale of a few may indeed buy many . Good luck . WR

#2 William Ritchie, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +42,856
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    No need to destroy old lures handed down (the plastics may be an exception) to catch a few fish. They will work though...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. bigfishT

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +145
    Name:
    T
    thanks! I will definitely reconsider!

5. bigfishT

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +145
    Name:
    T
    thanks coach! So what kind of rod should I use? I want to try and catch perch and halibut!

6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +42,856
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Put the classic hard baits in a shadow box, with Grandpa's name and accomplishments (medals, work history etc) and keep it long after he has passed, trust me on this. Classic surf lures still work, kastmasters, crokodiles, bucktails all cast well and are available cheap enough, all have cheap Chinese made versions as well. For a bit more cash, IMA flit, hydro minnows, and SP minnows.. more than that are the LC flashminnow and pointer (deeper water with the pointer), etc etc etc... Most of our local surf anglers prefer 8-10' rods, conventional, LPBC or spinning, your preference. I would say, for me, any of the less expensive salmon or steelhead rods (think okuma for the bang for the buck versions) matched with an okuma epixor would be a great starting rig that wouldn't break the bank or wear you out after a couple hours of casting. If you're throwing heavy baits all day, that's a different thing entirely. Be ready to body build all day and you could invest a lot more in the rig than you might think

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +878
    I use a 9' 6-12lb rated rod for fishing the surf. I do a lot of carolina rig fishing but when not fishing sand crabs or gulp worms I like to use in no particular order: big hammer grubs, megabaits, krocodiles, kasmasters, and luckycraft minnows.

Fishing the surf is a lot like fishing a river, they're both moving water. Spoons and things with bills on them tend do very well in the moving water. In the case of the luckycraft minnow or other lipped baits that lip helps them track and swim even when the waters moving. Spoons will flutter and give action as they're toss around. Other lures just get rag dolled around in the waves without being able to be presented effectively.

8. oldfogey

oldfogey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,671
    Name:
    Mike
    For halibut i use LC110, LC Surfpointer, or 4" swimbait(Big Hammer etc) with a one oz jighead. For perch i'd go with a 2-21/2" MRF single tail grub carolina rigged with a 3/4-1oz egg sinker

9. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,953
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Eppinger spoons work but they corrode out to fast. Especially since this is heritage... hold onto it. Have to say my dads not going to be around much longer and I feel awful for losing some of spoons he had given me.