Surf fishing soon any good spots in san diego?

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by GTSCHOLAR619, May 13, 2009.

1. GTSCHOLAR619

GTSCHOLAR619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    planning on surf fishing tomorrow and was wondering where to go in san diego...trying to go to a good spot. I heard sunset was better than sunrise.....I have no clue...where should I go? Any secret spots anyone?

2. joe

joe Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I find that its not really just 1 good spot as there are so many factors that affect the surf fishing. Sometimes, you just have to drive and look for the spot that is most LIKELY to have good holes. Having said that... its been my experience that san diego starts happening a good 2 -3 weeks after orange county starts lighting up. It just started happening in OC. You'll still find some, and ive had various success in all the different beaches in North County. I bet you san diego proper would be better, but you never know. Just go and try to align all the different elements, - tide, swell, surf, weather and hope for the best.

Joe

3. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40
    You can catch fish at most beaches in SD. I've got them at IB, Coronado, Mission, La Jolla, Del Mar, Encinitas, Carlsbad and OSide. So yeah, I'd say you can catch fish at pretty much any beach. I personally prefer morning over sunset, but I think tide is more important than time of day.

4. GTSCHOLAR619

GTSCHOLAR619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well went surf fishing today at Coronado at 12:00 went with the wife and kids for a day at the beach. High tide was at 4 something in the afternoon....settled in a cast my line in front of our spot on the beach and nothing....cast again...nothing...then my third one...wham! got hit hard...I usually get small ones at IB and mission beach but never tried coronado. It was a big one..bout the size of my two hands put together. cast again..wham! again..wham! bout 4 hours it was like this got me about 30 of em...some of them even had babies...didnt even know till i put it in the cooler but managed to retrieve babies and put back in the water....it was fun although there were allot of people at the beach...they seemed to stay out of my way surfers, boogie boarders and swimmers. They were trippen out I kept reeling them in at a good size especially. I had better luck here than anywhere else so far....Oh and there was a pack of dolphins hunting for perch too but I already got my fill...I wasnt expecting them that size down here but now I know. I dont have to drive too far for them anymore. They bit on the ghosties...so didnt try my camo gulp sandworms....hoping to try them and land one...havent yet...but I hear so much about the gulp camo sandworm...but hasnt worked for me yet...I get impatient and change out to ghosties. I know they work for sure.