Surf fishing tackle bag

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Espinoza569, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Espinoza569

Espinoza569 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +57
    It’s been 2 days and I’m ready to go full bore into surf fishing. What do people use for tackle bags?

today I saw some guys using a combination of waist packs and/or fishing vests which looked very convenient. I have a small backpack but it just ended up full of sand and wet. Every time I want to change lures, I had to go back to dry sand and kneel down to swap out.

any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

2. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,204
    Fanny packs are dope. Less second guessing lures because you only have a couple to choose from, lightweight, and looks kicka**.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,900
    I've been using a fishing vest for years. Tons of convenient pockets, and I have a pair of forceps and braid scissors attached to it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. the black lines

the black lines Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +106
  5. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,308
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Dionisiooh

Dionisiooh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242
    This is what I use... mainly for the extra rod holder

F8D3794B-D5A1-4C28-BDED-DC01EA14CE97.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Espinoza569

Espinoza569 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +57
    I’m going to order this and see how it fits. May add a pvc rod holder to the belt for changing lures

A96E35F0-B64E-4E2E-AD25-69C286017421.png

8. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,340
  9. Mike M

Mike M Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +380
    Name:
    Mike Mendez
    When I fish with sand crabs, I use a small plastic box with 1 extra weight, hooks and beads. I also have a sand crab rake that I keep my right foot in when I'm fishing. I sift nearly every wave looking for soft shells.

When I fish for Halibut, I tie one LC on my rod and keep one in a rectangular toothbrush holder in my pocket.

I have a waterproof case for my phone which is in my right back pocket, crabs go in the right front cargo pocket, hemostats right front pocket, small plastic box in left cargo pocket and keys/wallet zipped in left back pocket.

I have one $12 Walmart "Okeechobee" tackle bag for crab fishing and one for lure fishing. Inside I keep a spare reel and extra tackle. I tie up my rod in the parking lot and then leave my tackle bag in my truck. Having all my tackle in one bag makes it easy to grab when I leave my house.

10. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,308
    x 1000 on this statement.

11. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +573
    I'm a minimalist in the surf. Fanny pack and a small Plano box. I study the forecast, pick my window, choose my target species, select a certain technique, and only bring what I need.

Conditions may change so sometimes I bring 2 boxes for 2 different game plans. Just lock the one I'm not using in the car out of sight

12. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,189
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    I throw plugs and spoons mainly . Any bag you get can be modified with a simple section of Acrylic fluorescent light bulb protector cut to the length of the longest plug you use . A hot glue gun can be used to stick them together and fit into the pack or pocket keeps the hooks separate and untangled easy to wash them all at once . You can also buy inserts such as these , Same ideaf-j-neil-surf-rite-series-surf-bags-replacement-insert . This type bag works as well , places for everything , just pricey . Sailcloth is the best material very hook resistant . WR

#12 William Ritchie, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,180
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    Before I got my fishing vest, I used to carry a small rucksack on my back. It had three things in it: an extra spool of 4 lb test, a tiny. little plastic tupperware with hooks, and a plastic bag with egg sinkers, beads, and swivels. Maybe a water bottle. I would dig sand crabs with my hands, wash em out, and put them in my pocket lol.

Definitely get some of the stuff that the other guys are suggesting; might get some of those bags myself. However, this is a viable option if u want to get started and are waiting for things to come in the mail.

14. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +669
    I use this vest Sagebrush Mesh Vest
    The vest is much lighter than it looks, and with the mesh is pretty cool... I like something that has high pockets for my cell phone and keys...
    I kinda like the look of that Allan Chest Pack mentioned above...

Butch

15. naimad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +125
    Name:
    Big D
    Boat:
    Hobie PA14 360
  16. oldfogey

oldfogey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,912
    Name:
    Mike
    I tend to go minimalist. I catch sand crabs with my hands. Usually fishing carolina rig so carry enough swivels,sinkers,hooks in a small plastic bag to re-rig a couple times in a front pocket. Phone and fishing licsense in another plastic bag in other front pocket. Small pair of dikes in a back pocket and maybe a LC110 in a box. The shorts i wear surf fishing in general are cut-off blue jeans....lots of pockets. For some reason I can't figure out how to spell licsense right today haha:emoji_thinking:

17. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,718
    Some great ideas here.. I’ve been carrying an old 4 compartment back pack for years, everywhere I fish. I keep lip grabbers, pliers, water shoes, 20-30 packs of various plastics and grubs, a 12”x14” flat tackle box stuffed to the gills, another 6”x6” box with more stuff, a 36” tube net, a 36” home made gaff, stringer, zip ties, 2 water bottles, 2 types of sunscreen, a folded up floppy hat, nuts / snacks, wallet, phone, a hefty bag, passport, and a tape measure. ( sometimes I’m surprised at other crap I find in there as well ). Weighs 17 lbs. without the water bottles. Both straps broke on my last surf trip as I was trying to carry a nice spot fin and two rods back to the car. On a day where I had to park in a neighborhood off Cannon rd. Fishing Carlsbad jetty.. something has to change I tell ya...

18. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,189
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Its amazing how it all adds up . I try to weed it out before every trip depending on the target , always winds up to heavy . Hint , Jansport packs still have a lifetime warranty I believe anything goes wrong , repaired or replaced . The one I use has the section for a hydration system I use platypus , works out good . 2.2 Lbs per liter . Count the ounces the pounds will take care of them selves . Ha Ha . WR

#18 William Ritchie, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  19. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,718
    It really does start to add up over time. I too weed out lots of things for various trips, but I tend to put everything back in when I walk around the bay or surf fish. I leave my truck and I’m gone for 4-8 hours.. my straps just happened to break on the same day.. once the first one broke, the second one went shortly after. Old and dry, pulled from the seams.. And it had to be the day I needed to park out in butt F Egypt because of crammed beaches. Lol.

20. bus

bus Active Member

Ratings:
    +28