Surf Rod and Reel For Starters

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by SharkBait20, Nov 4, 2022.

1. SharkBait20

SharkBait20 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Name:
    Sean
    Hey All,

I want to get into Surf Fish and want to know a good combo for a beginner like myself that is good to throw lures as well as some dead or live bait. More importantly not break the bank but understand you get what your pay for. Any Suggestions?

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +64,634
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    My personal suggestion is a kastking sharky on an okuma celilo. The size and weight class is a whole different thing. If you're using this combo from the cliffs or jetties you will need a heavier class than if you're tossing sand crabs on the open beach...

3. Vito1023

Vito1023 Vito
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,739
    I have a KastKing Sharky and it’s held up well and I would buy again.

4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,320
    Sounds like you are talking spinning tackle? Maybe once you get it figured out closer you could put up a "buying" post and see if people offer you any deals. I think it's nice to have one at least one spinning rig for less than up to 1- 1 1/2 ounces, that's heavier than a lot of people use for c-rigs, and one conventional that handles 1-4 ounces at least. I'm just getting back into surf fishing myself. I can show you some of what I think are good deals if you expand your target fishing. Inshore and even freshwater rods and reels can suffice as light surf fishing gear too.

Throwing lures means to me, a rod weighted up to and ounce maybe a little more or little less. Fishing bait , could mean a lot of things, like up to 4 ounces or more, weight and bait load. The lighter combo will get you started if you want to fish sandy beaches mostly, with lures and light c-rigs for bait mostly....heavier rig for reefs or sharks won't work well for the hard baits typically used in the surf or the light sand crab rigs, for instance.

If I could only have one I would choose something like in this video for around 100 bucks for the rod.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX6qAg2DKX0&ab_channel=Hook2Cook

5. SharkBait20

SharkBait20 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Name:
    Sean

That would be great if you can show me some deals for both scenarios. I’m not looking to catch any big sharks or rays so something on the lighter side that can do both would be awesome.

6. SharkBait20

SharkBait20 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Name:
    Sean
  7. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +64,634
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  8. YNW_FISHY

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,279
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    People going to go crazy with in depth suggestions, brands, lengths, styles … ugh….

go to walmart or dicks and pick up a rod that feels good and buy it. Save u some time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. ColdEye

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +365
    Check out amazon or west marine for sales on the SST okuma or other salmon/steelhead rods. Good for light tackle. For spinning reels go to a swap meet and look for a penn spinfisher. 720 or 722 if you want em small.

10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,320
    I bought two of the 10'ML from amazon and sent them both back, Seems some sizes of these are out of stock and they are sending out broken customer returns. Other sites don't seem to have the ML. the budget rods skimp on wraps which is a real bummer, otherwise these rods wouldn't be getting sent back. The epoxy on a couple of eyes was broken. I was able to try casting in the yard, I have a big yard, and it was awesome for action and weight and all...but broken.

There is a similar one in Tsunami brand you can see it on youtube too. I decided to spend a little more, actually buying the only sort of expensive rod I have ever bought. A ML saint Croix, seage, supposed to be here today.

Breakwaters are awesome budget rods, better than any I have ever seen. They have a surf spinning rod assortment That's what I got for the 1-4 ounce conventional. I am not sure they have the lighter rod you are looking for , worth a search though.

11. TekAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Buy a rods, reels and all the terminal tackle you need at the swap meet, offerup, craiglist for anywhere from $5-$40. I have a Calypso beach comber "surf" rod that paid $20 and I has been my daily use rod for years for everything from the surf to jetties to piers. It's still holding up apart from me breaking the tip a couple times from stepping on it or smashing it in a car door.(I trimmed and replaced the tips) I have a 6ft generic "bass" rod that I paid $10 for(including a reel) that I usually outfish anyone using "fancier" stuff on the piers with. If you want to spend money on brand name stuff you can do that too. I also have a like new Penn pursuit 3 6000 that I scored for $10 at the swap meet. I don't fall for marketing BS that they use to sell more product. One time some meth head looking bum on the pier gave some unsolicited advice that I had the "wrong type of gear for out here" because I had an old school trout rod. I was the only one catching fish with said rod.
    P.S when buying second had rods check every single guide and guide inserts for damage.

#11 TekAngler, Nov 4, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  12. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +64,634
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    If the guy just wanted some junk, he could come over to my garage and toss 30 in the tackle fund simply enough and be fishing tomorrow. Seems like there might be some specifics in mind...

13. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,857
    Name:
    Eric
    Okuma celilo is a great suggestion. Best surf rod under 100$ hands down and they're only 50$. ML for sandy beaches perch croaker, M or MH rocky Beach or cliffs jetty ect.

I wouldn't get the rockaway in that 100$ range. Lamiglas x11, Shimano clarus, tica hlhb. Tons of great rods in the 100-200$ range.

Go cheaper on a reel. If you're a rookie surf fisherman, taking a wave to the face, getting.a reel full of sand is part of the learning curve. First surf reel might have a short life span.

14. MrMajors

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,794
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    For what we do here 2500-4000 is solid. Get yourself a used Daiwa Fuego and a new celilo and you’re looking at maybe $125. Toss some big game on that bihhh and get out there. Grab some 1/2-3/4oz bullet weights, mosquito hooks and swivels at Wally World and you’ll more than likely be on the sand with a similar setup to the dude fishing next to you. I pack my surf reels with grease to keep the sand at bay as much as I can. Small/cheap step to extend the life of your gear.

15. cort

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +948
    Boat:
    ProAngler 14
    Go cheap and be religious about rinsing it out with clean, fresh water (Garden hose works great) after you get home. When it seizes up anyway, figure out what you did to get sand or rust in it and don't do that again. Then buy a nicer one. :p

16. SharkBait20

SharkBait20 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Name:
    Sean
    So thank you all for the advice. After some digging and some browsing on Amazon I narrowed down the search between these two rods. I plan on using the the KastKings Sharky 3000. Any suggestions?

Berrypro Surf Spinning Rod Full Carbon Surf Fishing Rod Meduim Action Surf Rod (9'

Fiblink Surf Spinning Fishing Rod 2-Piece Graphite Travel Fishing Rod(10-Feet)

17. cort

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +948
    Boat:
    ProAngler 14
    Looks like Chinese cheapo brands, which isn't necessarily bad, but might be bad. Might be better off just going to Big5, Wal-mart, or a tackle store and getting hands on.

18. MrMajors

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,794
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    I dunno bud. Grab whatever reel you want as that’ll eventually bite the dust till you sort out how to manage and maintain your gear in the surf. But get a celilo to start. They’ve been around forever. And we still use them now. That’s typically a god sign. And they aren’t expensive. 50-60 bucks. Some of the best surf anglers in SoCal use them over every other rod available. And that’s not by chance, that’s a choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. MisterT

MisterT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +314
    Name:
    "T"
    A longer fishing rod may sound advantageous in the surf but your personal preference may not suit it. Something to consider...

20. MrMajors

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,794
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    Solid advice. For me 9’ is the sweet spot. If it can toss an ounce, even better. Sometimes they’re sitting behind the breaks and you have to send it. Not a fan of maxing out my rods. They perform better in the middle of the rating stated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List