Surface iron reels

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by OPERATOR SPECTRE, Apr 20, 2019.

1. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,329
    Okay, ive been reading up on some old threads and stuff about good star drags for throwing surface irons on.. I'm tied between Fathom 25n, torium 16 or 20, or daiwa lexa 400 6.4;1. Looking for a good bang for the buck.
    What are some expert opinions here.. I'll be pairing it with my axis 909hj on full day trips for yellows.

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,930
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    All of the reels mentioned will accomplish what you want to do . Hit a shop that may have all of them , mount them up on your rod and see which balances out and feels the best . The replacement parts train will probably be best on the Penn , the Fathoms are used a lot in distance casting tournaments and you can get fancy in outfitting them . All of the reels will run pretty fast when you clean out the goo the factory puts in at assembly . The D Lexa being a level wind will be easier on the retrieve , they are a proven reel but are not built as robust as the Fathom or Torium . Good luck in your quest , Tight lines . Add / Edit Of the reels mentioned the Fathom is the only one with a true Live Spool Shaft , the reason they are seen so much at tournaments and in surf casting

#2 William Ritchie, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  3. OPERATOR SPECTRE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,329
    Ive heard the newell 332 is also great. Especially with new drag washers, etc. Might pick up one of those eventually too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. velgonz

velgonz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Probably still works, I've seen new lures that very real looking but didn't caught fish an old lure caught the biggest one of that day. Tight line and good fishing.

5. fishinmike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,215
    Boat:
    Pro angler
    I am in the same boat. Own lots of jigmasters and Newell’s of different sizes. Neither have failed me to this point. However, like golf new technology makes the game a little easier as we get older. I am leaning towards the Torium if that helps. My years using PENN reels slows me from making my purchase because they were slow in making upgrades to their reels. Just my two cents.

6. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,369
    Name:
    Ray
    Hard to beat a tricked out jigmaster (hence the name). I have one with a full accurate kit that is over 20 years old and caught literally 100's of yellowtail. Not as vogue as the fathom or torium but will hold its own in that crowd.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Fathom all the way... I’d say it’s better then just a bang for your buck reel too. The issue I have with Toriums these days is that their dogs suck. If you want a good earful talk to Mike over at Dana who is pro staff for Shimano, he even says the Fathom is a better reel.

The only schism I have against the Fathoms is that you have to **** it back a bit to free up the spindle. But that same feature gives that reel an amazing free spool. I’ve used the Fathom 30 for a year now and it has fished up 110lb bluefin. It has the same drags as the 40N2LD, but the star drag is as consistent as a lever drag, so Penn states the max drag is 25lbs. With the fishing we do here, you really don’t need more then 20lbs anyways.

I used that reel in an Axis 909XHJ as well, it’s a good set up for the money. It handled yellows up to 50lbs and a couple of bluefin over 100lbs, not that I would use that rod or reel for fishing that heavy in future.

8. OPERATOR SPECTRE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,329
    I keep hearing the fathoms are the best... I notice they are not quite as compact as the toriums though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,017
    Your doing your research & see the 332 keeps coming up for good reason, but that was yesterday hot reel.
    Yes, I still have one but todays reels are far superior than that noisy newell...
    Fathom is good! Penn Fathom 25N
    Avets are great also regardless that theyre lever drag...
    Lexa 400
    Okuma Komodo 471p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    I think Fathoms are a bit more compact and have better gears as well then the Torium in terms of how much line each reel can handle.

So I these are the jig sticks I’m going to be using this season from left to right.
    Penn BS 4/0 112H with 110 yards of50lb mono to 80lb braid backing on a OG Glass SS Ulua 100J 30-60 shortened to 9' with 6 from the butt and 6 from the top. Will be putting a Newell 533 5.5 on it in the near future. I'm throwing a 5x, Papa 7x, and JRI 5 on it.

Penn Fathom 30 with 120 yards of 50lb mono to 80lb braid backing to a OG Glass SS Ulua 93J 30-60. Exclusively throwing a JRI4 that swims really, really well. But it does fish a 7x nicely too.

Torium 20 with straight 40lb mono to a BWCDH 100J C that has had 6 inches taken off the butt. It was originally my twin's and I'm going to use a Tady 45, 7x Jr, 1/0s, Mini Starmans on it. Had a rod just like it in the past.

On to comparing the two reels, though, I think they feel the same in terms of weight. Both of them are nice, fish about the same with the Fathom 30 fishing a bit heavier, and feel about the same in hand. The Torium 20 is larger though... the reel itself isn't as wide, but it a taller reel. The newer reels are also about the same in terms of dimensions.

89A212EE-C809-4A40-87EA-E2906408EF31.jpeg

4F5F02DB-4E4C-4159-876E-41F85E007D36.jpeg

#10 Fat Spottie, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  11. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    You feel safe using a level wind as a surface iron reel? Blasphemy. I wouldn't quite throw a 332 out the window just yet, they still feel good.

OPERATOR SPECTRE I have a Fathom 25N which I got for my fiance in that picture as well, it's next to the right of torium 20 for scale.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. OPERATOR SPECTRE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,329
    I have an avet hx with 100 lb braid and 60 lb mono, which I will be using for sharks. I originally had it mounted on my 9 foot but soon learned, it would be too hard to use for surface irons. (Plus it burns like a b*tch to cast heavy weights with, I have to use a glove..) I'm getting an lx 2 speed for yoyo and as a general purpose heavy rod. Will be pairing that with my calstar 700h, But I honestly like to use star drags more for repetitive casting..

13. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    If you are interested in an LX Raptor give me a PM... have one that I don't really need anymore. Brand new, has literally only a couple yellowtail (one was my pb) and yellowfin.

14. OPERATOR SPECTRE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,329
    Thanks for the offer, but imo the Raptor is a bit overkill. the drag on that one is too much for 65lb test.. Plus i'm getting a purple one to match my rod's reel seat and color scheme. ....

Sounds like a bluefin killer though.

15. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    well, at least your learning and understand what's good for what you are fishing.

16. OPERATOR SPECTRE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,329
    What is your pb?

17. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    For Yellowtail, 67lbs.

For tuna it's a whole different level.

18. OPERATOR SPECTRE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,329
    OK, made my choice. Fathom 25n it is. Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it alot. :emoji_thumbsup:

19. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,167
    I have three plug reels 20A, 30A, 500hg. Out of all those three if I can pick one to fish all day and comfortably it be my 30A

20. OPERATOR SPECTRE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,329
    Trinidad?