Surprise at Spanish

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,015
    Was ridiculously bummed yesterday morning that I couldn't go fishing. Well, that's not entirely accurate.. Actually, I was so tired from the night before that I just decided it was better to relax a bit than try to bust out the door for some flyfishing at 530am. The guy that does parking enforcement for my gated community had called me just short of midnight and asked for a little friendly back-up while he popped a couple of vehicles for various infractions. There's nothing like watching and listening to this new generation (Generation "G" - for "Grievance") of children cuss, whine, puff out their chests and act like tough guys. Both vehicle owners had been alerted to all the commotion (tow trucks aren't as quiet as they should or need to be:emoji_joy:), came running outside at breakneck speeds and got up in his grill. I just kinda sat off to the side and watched with a smile on my face. When they get too close to him or start getting edgy, I usually move over and negotiate myself into a position where I can easily intervene (as a citizen) and help thwart any offense that the offender may be mounting. And since I cant stand people that park here who knowingly and willfully violate our parking rules, I have no issue with helping out our parking enforcement guy take down the occasional "tough guy." Anyway, that's why I didnt go fishing Friday morning.

Decided to fish the evening rise :emoji_thumbsup:yesterday evening at Spanish - of all places (anyone that fly fishes fresh water will know what evening rise means). I figured there would be less people traffic at Spanish - mostly because of the parking fee. And I was right. Only three vehicles in the preferred lot when I rolled in. Several kids and parents were out on the sand and in the shallow water making a mess for visibility, but several strong kicks would take me out of it and away from them. So I was in.

Outside temp was 79.. water temp was 75.. yep, 75. Unreal. I had about 2.5 hrs of good sunlight left so I started westbound at the inception of a decent outgoing tide, dragging two Crazydads - one root beer and the other a creamsicle orange.

temp.jpg

Took a great pull right away, in about ten feet of water. Took me into the running line and broke off just that fast. Early enthusiasm works wonders for my attitude. Reeled in, tied on another root beer Crazydad and went back to work. By this time I had several smallish Spotties to credit, so I chose to just kind of hang-out in the area where the ledge drops to the deepest part (usually anywhere from 15-17' at high tide). A couple of years ago when I was just starting out, I had taken my biggest-to-hand Halibut there with my pal Chris watching - and the water and air temps were roughly the same. Was it a sign?

Not ten minutes later and I feel my line hesitate and tighten. Pulled back and the sinking line started vibrating away from me. Several minutes of reeling and peeling later, I had picked up my first legal Halibut this summer. Ya, he was only 23" and no more, but he was legal. Tough holding him with that Fish Lipper tool and taking pics, but I got one - even if it doesn't show him off all that well. And I'm happy with it, so ya, I'm adding it here. Small for most of you guys, but a much needed fish for me.

hali.jpg

Just kinda rode all over the place in the general area for a bit, then started seeing alot of fish icons and hearing beeps between 5 and 9' .. then those icons became the bigger-size icons interlaced with all those smaller icons. Said a prayer and went to work. Took a few minutes of dragging at mid-levels (I'm still trying to figure out different stripping methods, speeds and depths), but I finally got a taker. My line stretched and took off out of my reel. At first I thought larger Mackerel or maybe a Croaker.. but no. Got a look at a light-gold (? it looked that way in the brilliance of the lowering sun) colored fast-looking fish maybe no more than 15-16" long. And off he goes again, peeling line. Got him close again and he bolts off the hook. I had no idea what it was, but it was so much fun. The icons were still going off like crazy and I was right in the middle of whatever was going on, so I threw the flies back into the mix. Took another before the flies even got wet.. and off to the races once again. Same "M/O" as the last one - rip line, go in circles and pull hard as possible. Again, I lost "it" just feet away from my float tube.. same pretty fish, but I still had no idea what it was. One more time.. and got nailed again. And after five minutes of him being in charge, I finally got him to a gloved hand. Congrats to me on picking up my first (three total, I assume) Bonefish.

bone.jpg

Geez !! I never thought I'd see one - especially at Spanish. You guys have no idea what its like to be the only dude in a circle of great fly fishermen that have all caught Bonefish, but you haven't. You're kinda like an outcast, but you're not. And you feel like you're really missing out on something big.. and you have been. But no more.. I'm now part of the clan and I can say I've tugged with a Bonefish. Some of the best line ripping fun I've ever felt on the salt.

Sun started to get a little lower and I only had sunglasses with me, so I called it a day and went back to the sand, picking up a few more smallish Spots along the way. So it wasn't a bad session at all. Got much more than I ever bargained for. And I slept great last night knowing that finally finally, I can count myself in on being part of a select group of flyfishermen fortunate enough to have picked off one or more of these elusive Bonefish.

#1 Creek, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  2. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +864
    Great Job on the Bonefish! I still haven’t checked that box off. Nice Halibut too! See ya on the water.

3. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,249
    Great session! There are a lot more bonefish in the north bay than people think.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,015
    I certainly dont want to ruin a good thing, but I'm thinking I might head back out again this evening (yes, I know its a Saturday and that parking area might be full - not to mention all the kids in the water at the launch spot, but now my brain is piqued).

5. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,886
    Don’t do it Creek ! I see a close call with a random jet skier in your future.

6. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,015
    Clearly I need to sit down with you at your place of business (small, 500 sq ft room on EC Blvd..) and let you read my palms... maybe.:emoji_joy:

7. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,637
    Name:
    Larry M
    Or you could just go to this place in National City , then launch at Tide lands.

Screenshot_2019-07-28-17-57-24-1.png

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,886
    Haa haa! Yes, good stuff my friend. Lolol...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,886

10. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,886

11. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,886

12. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,886
    Ughh. I was having an argument with the I pad last night. I kept stabbing Post, but it wouldn’t go through. I finally shut the damn thing off. It has a mind of its own...

13. special k

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +496
    Name:
    stan
    Boat:
    aluminum
    haa haa yes good stuff my friend lolol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List