Sutherland and a leaky tube

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Nick Danger, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Nick Danger

Nick Danger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, Last two Fridays I've gone to Sutherland and done well. It is an amazingly beautiful lake and peaceful there. Scratched 5 fish each trip. The second time around was only half a day on the tube with two lost after hooking in to them, so I could have ended with at least two more plus whatever I could have caught with the extra few hours on the tube. Massive bladder failure today(LOL); it was okay the first two hours, but after re inflating it progressively got worse. At the end I would have had to blow it (LOL) every half hour, so I packed it in. Shore fishing gave me no love, in fact I lost a crank :oops: :evil:

Ran into at least one SDFisher, fisheromen was there both trips, slaying the bass in style on his Cadillac like nobodies business.

Today
    e15504.jpg
    Last week
    34nshzl.jpg
    o57w3t.jpg
    29y2ih.jpg

2. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +136
    For Leaky tube repair The Home Depot sells a vinyl repair kit in their poll sections that work like a champ for less than 10 bucks.

Remove the bladder from the tube fill it up with air smear it with a light coat of dish soap then lightly wet it.Where you see Mr bubble is were you leak will be.

The repair kit has a sheet of vinyl that you can cut to size to cover the hole.squeze the glue ovver the leak and apply the sheet and you shuld be good to go in about an hour.

3. Nick Danger

Ratings:
    +1
    I have done that but it kept on leaking. I am currently coating the area with spray on rubber. Two light coats didn't cut it, so I'm gonna put on a few more and let it dry for a few days. My backrest arrived leaking and both the pontoons leak in the front. The backrest doesn't phase me much, but I need those toons. I'm gonna talk to caddis about it.

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,732
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Where's the guy with the camera when I catch the bigger models?

I ended up with 6 today with one dink. Off the water at 12:30. I'm loving this tube thing; only 8 bucks to fish! Between my Suburban and my old 175 HP Johnson, I was going broke.

Kyle, fishindad is right, you have to get a patch on those leaks. That spray-on rubber wont get it. Or save your pennies and get a Cumberland or Togiak.

5. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,163
    Shoot, Paul already looks like a pro out there, great shots of him. (Nice setup Paul, I've got to get mine set up like that, my poles just sit on my lap.

:shock:

I did ok out there this morning, but I wouldn't have if I'd not brought my cold weather gear by chance; man it's freezing up there before sunrise.

I was going to join you guys but realized per satellite photo I could probably do just as well, if not better, from the shore. So I did.

[​IMG]

click photo to enlarge

[​IMG]

6. III

III
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +51
    Great job out there fellas. Kyle your tube is still pretty new I would give them call. If they can't help you then I think Fishindad's advice is the next best way to go.

7. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +136
    Cut the patches at least 1'' in diameter around the hole while the bladder is fully inflated.Apply the glue in the area that the whole patch will cover

I have also found that if any of those leaks are on the seams of the bladder then forget about it.Its time for a new bladder. Also I have learned that most people keep their Tubes way over inflated making it easier to puncture from fish spines and Hooks,etc The bladder needs to be a little squishey but not to soft especially on hot days.Those colder mornings before the sun/heat comes when you think you dont have enouph air in the bladder out can make your tube bladder hard as a rock aftter the sun heats up (even in the water)and in some cases when its sitting in the bed of the pick up Kabooom!I always deflate when I leave the lake for that reason.And of course vice versa.I also remember one time that i thought I had a leak but it was because i left one of my valves slightly open:)

Kind of like when we were kids and our bikes would get those cactus spine that would deflate the tire:) the harder the tire the easier the get deflated

8. Nick Danger

Ratings:
    +1
    they are on the seam and next to the seam.

9. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40
    Look for something called Aquaseal. Not always easy to find, but that stuff's the truth. Stronger than the bladder itself.