Sutherland Sat.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Linebig, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I hate that drive. However I do like the lake.

fished from 6:30-6:00. I put so much water in front of me all day...For the first 3 hours easy I had 3 bites and 1 landed. They were not feeding along the shoreline. I ignored the breaking fish at first. And some were decent. I could not tell if they were carp or bass at times so I said forget them. Kept on keeping on. Another hour or so goes by. After only 1 fish I saw a decent bass chasing shad off a point in about 50ft of water So on a whim I went out to see whats up. It broke again and I tossed and it smashed my lure. Nice 15” bass. Now..... hind sight sets in and I’m pissed. I should have abandoned my shore line top water and frogs hours ago. Over the next hour or two I ended up landing 6 and losing 3. All in the 15” range. Larger schoolies than normal. And they were chunky. Spitt’n up shad left and right. Now the wind is blowing so I go back to the shore. Still, zero fish along shore. Wind dies a bit. I see the breakers go again. Make another toss and get smashed. This is the last fish I land for the day. Stayed and fished until 6:00pm. I did late in the afternoon have 3 serious explosions on my top water bait along shore. All three came unbuttoned. Time for new hooks.
    Anyway... a seriously hard fought 8 bass for the day. All but 2 fish landed on a large walking bait. 3/4oz bait. The other 2 clone fry.

2. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,122
    You always figure it out, just usually faster than that! Glad you got into larger models, always funner to get a fight after the explosion. Larger baits usually net those larger ones. Good job. No pics? That's also not like you! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I only had 1 photo of my last fish, 14” ditch pickle. This fish came out from under my boat and smashed the lure just before I took it to make another cast. I took it to show Trev how these fish look so different than Otay’s much lighter color. I was not messing around once I was able to get on them I left the phone in my pocket. I knew it would not last as the wind was going to start. As for not going on them sooner... last time I was there I smashed them on top water along the edges with fish to 6 pounds. I dont fish it enough to know the timing of the lake so I just kept going thinking they’ll eat at some point..I really put a lot of water in front of me. Birds eating shad along the shore...still, no fish..It was a tad frustrating. Everything was right yet it was not happening. Breakers always call to me if the sound is aggressive. I am glad I bailed on my original plan.

F8F73C3A-2E85-488D-AF4E-F7D786C2ACCC.jpeg

4. JJbasser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,646
    much different color than otay!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,122
    Ah come on now, you really can't pull the fish scales over our eyes THAT EASY. We ALL know there's only ONE bass in that lake, and that's why we only see one here, nice try. (Well, it's only four less than Hodges though :emoji_sunglasses:).

SURE, fisheromen once showed he'd caught three, but if you'd of looked hard, you'd have noticed two of them had Barrett backgrounds! :emoji_laughing::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,122
    Of course it's a different color bro, they're all photoshopped - to make it look like a different fish each time!!! They all hold it out at different lengths too, anything to make it look like there's more than that one fish in that lake, they're not fooling you too are they? :emoji_joy:

7. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I sure felt like there was only one bass in the lake for the first 4 hours. I woke up Sunday morning so sore... both arms beat. I must have made a thousand casts and working that large bait... i was beat down Sunday.

8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,540
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Walking baits were key on Friday! They were closer to the shore and the other end of the lake! Of course that was way early!

9. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I was In the middle of the main lake. Had to run the troller on high and chase them down as well. This Sat most likely zero breakers and all fish along the shore.

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,540
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Just reminding folks, the lake is closed next Friday. Linebig , did you get a water temp? I know it was way colder than a few weeks before!

11. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    72-73 max my good sir

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,540
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Yep, cool nights! 10 degree drop in just a couple weeks. That's with some 112 degree days mixed in!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    It was 56 degrees outside at 6:30am

14. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,106
    Boat:
    Yes
    Good job getting 8 bass Linebig . I was there on Saturday from 6:00AM till 11:00AM. I was doing the same thing. Frog and topwater near shore early on. No takers. Saw a few busters, but like you, wasn't sure if they were bass or carp. Plus they were too far away to cast too.....Tried flippin, senkos, buzzbaits, jig. No joy for me on Saturday. Guess I left too early. Sorry I missed seeing you out there on Saturday.

15. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I spent the better part of the day going in loops around Mesa Grande. From the Dam to the far point and back again. With several loops down in the far creek channel. I did two loops in Santa Isabelle arm. And about 2 hours main lake breaker. So....10 hours of casting in those arms to produce 1 fish. It was brutal. Thank you breakers. Without them its a 1 fish day.... ouch!

16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,540
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    In my limited experience Carp flop and Bass thrash.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Agreed... at Otay now.. they puddle. Same with V. With the Sutherland fish it was tough to tell until I was out in the main lake. You could see the bait being pushed.

18. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Agreed... at Otay now.. they puddle. Same with V. With the Sutherland fish it was tough to tell until I was out in the main lake. You could see the bait being pushed.