Sweetwater and Loveland

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, May 17, 2020.

1. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Sweetwater Authority, CA

I think this link will go to the message input form for these two lakes. I already used it twice and called them too. I am about to ask them what their current justification for keeping these lakes closed is. They have the Savings of keeping the lake closed for two months , they can put that into extra bathroom cleaning or whatever it is keeping the lakes from opening. Their contract to supply fishing doesn't allow for a free ride just because they think they can get away with it.

Anyone else willing please do the same.

By the way did I mention it's at 74% capacity?

#1 Everydog, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  2. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I will also be writing the county supervisors and ask them to intervene against Sweetwater authority denying citizens access.

3. oldfogey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,767
    Name:
    Mike
    Loveland was closed for years. Helluva lot of ninja fishing went on in those days. Probably will go on again

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Sweetwater just emailed me the exact thing that is on their website, an excuse in my opinion. I asked help from the lake program manager and all the county supervisors in bringing some transparency.
    The lake was the first to close and I was told later that they had to stay closed because of a state mandate. Maybe there is a state mandate but then, why are the other lakes open?

#4 Everydog, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  5. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,275
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    State mandate my arse..lame excuse! There's dozens of lakes open in the state! The Sweetwater Water Authorities are almost as lame as the Sweetwater School District!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,164
    It never really stopped...

7. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Ya but Clem or Elden are around to chase you out

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,861
    Proctor valley is cool

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Not one County supervisor responded on this issue. Not even the form letters. I guess I will start contacting the Federal agencies connected to the this link regarding the Sweetwater Authority not opening Loveland for fishing. The only other lakes closed in the county are for budget reasons and I don't think Sweetwater is giving the lake program money back to it's customers or investing it in a better fishing program for when it opens.

Cleveland National Forest - Fishing

Edit: I took some time after linking that to write the Local office of the U.S. Forest Dept.

That's here:
    Cleveland National Forest - Home

There is a phone number and we can start calling them tomorrow.

#9 Everydog, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    For reference here is my email:
    Dear Federal Forest Managers,

I live in San Diego County. A search engine brought me to a page that seems to indicate that The Federal Government would be concerned that the Sweetwater Authority conducts access to the lake and the fishing program at Loveland Reservoir in a good faith manner toward the public.I have called and emailed the Sweetwater Authority several times and they make no effort at transparency with me, or the public via their website.

The Sweetwater Authority was the first to close lakes in the area in response to the coronavirus situation and it appears they intend to be the last to open by a long period of time. Here in San Diego County, lakes have been open for fishing post coronavirus social distancing starting at least as early as May 2, 2020.
    The only lakes not open now , with the exception of the two lakes operated by the Sweetwater Authority, are closed due to budget concerns within the city of San Diego. The Sweetwater Authority does not have those concerns and only claims to being "thoughtful in their re-opening plan". The relaxing of Coronavirus restrictions under any guidelines, State or Federal make that appear to be an excuse and nothing more. it is unlikely that money saved by excessively shutting the fishing program is being passed on to customers or held for improvements in the fishing program.

For the entire Coronavirus situation, The CDC has maintained on their website that there is no connection between the virus and drinking water. Loveland reservoir does not even have a processing plant and the earliest that water will be tapped will be next winter after being released to travel downstream 17 miles to the Sweet Water reservoir. Yet, the Sweetwater Authority is unreasonably and unfairly making a connection between fishing and drinking water safety on it's website. These comments and unreal delays in opening the fishing programs look like and agenda against fishing.

These lakes, Sweet Water and Loveland, strictly allow only shore fishing when they are open. Loveland terrain is rough and remote and enhances social distancing . The parking lot is never anywhere near capacity during the best fishing times in the year.

Whatever the story is with the Sweetwater Authority,I believe it is very important for an investigation to be initiated on behalf of the public. Oversight seems necessary at this point if in fact they have good faith obligation to the community and to contracts entered with Federal agencies, as it seems from the Federal Forest Service website.

11. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Please contact you House representative at the local office , the office of Jaun Vargas was receptive when I called. The assistant requested that I forward the Email I wrote to Department of Forestry to an assistant ( Stefanie Allen 619-422-5963) . If you have a different representative please call them or email them to.
    Feel free to cut and paste all or any part of my post above.

12. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Well, When I fight authority , authority always wins. Federal Government Dept. of Forestry says they have no jurisdiction.
    My next question for them is why they have a lake they have no jurisdiction over in their Government website brochure of natural amenities as if they are providing a benefit to the public?

Why does the State have DFW involved in policing the lake when no one there can or will go to bat for the public regarding opening the lake?

I am not going to quit , something good will come out this. I have learned a lot .....that probably belongs in the Lounge.

13. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,319

14. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,319
    Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness, then ask for permission.
    These people have no idea what there doing. They have never worked together and nevrr will. It's all lip service.
    If you want to fish the lake go fish it, have someone drop you off, you wont be the first.
    You can't quit thinking for yourself .

Tight lines

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Here's the thing and, I agree with you that that is a valid act. However, going stealth doesn't really help the bigger picture or the bigger population who needs better access. The energy put into sneaking around and not elsewhere helps the authorities get away with these shams. There are at least 6 important lakes still closed.

16. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,319
    If 100 boats showed up at San vee, with a tow strap to pop the lock on that gate you would be fishing. That's the only thing they understand..
    That lake would be open tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I already suggested that , no enthusiasm for it.

18. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I have had a bit of a back and forth with a Public Affairs officer form the Department of Forestry/USDA . She still claims that despite the content on the Cleveland National Forest website, that the the Sweetwater Authority is solely in charge of Loveland and there is no oversight or contracts with any agency. However, she said she asked them to contact me , which hasn't happened. Not sure why she would do that if there is no relationship between the two or why the would care if she did when they don't want to be transparent anyway.

I asked her to refer me to someone who could go over the history of the "partnership" between the Government and Sweetwater. I feel she is trying to get rid of me, but I keep emailing her. If Sweetwater ever contacts me I am going to asked them to be clear about any and all Governement Agency / Sweetwater agreements or laws that protect the fishing program for the public.

Another concern is that the Sweetwater Authority will try to keep the lakes closed for the duration of any State or Federal declaration of State of Emergency , which could go on for a very long time. It says on the Sweetwater website that they can do that anytime there is a state of emergency.

19. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    O.K. got another bit of feedback from the Forest Public Affairs officer.

She said to give it more time for Sweetwater to contact me and that their Customer Service person told her their plans are to reopen the lake June 15. She also referred me to the SW Board of Directors.
    Governing Board | Sweetwater Authority, CA

20. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Hola people, don't hold me to the 15th , The Federal government lady said it. Sweetwater Authority has the weakest excuse to not open and can only finish in last place now.