Sweetwater and Loveland

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, May 17, 2020.

1. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Senator Jones' office , California senator, got a fairly high level DFW Fisheries man to call me.

They are pretty much ready to fold on the fishery. I really tried to work on that and time will tell. I also asked him why the non-profit non tax paying Sweetwater Authority is getting free DFW law enforcement services while they are stealing our fishing hours and destroying our lake. Says he can't deal with that, but I asked him to have his supervisor talk to his counterpart in LE and get back with me about this injustice because at some point it's tax payer fraud.

If some of us are going to protest fish it shouldn't be with henchmen on our backs paid by our own taxes and fees. Make SWA do a citizens arrest like they would anyone else and no poaching accusations on a lake the DFW is cool with killing.

Did emphasize that I am more into saving the lake and how much people of all ages need this out here rather than fighting corruption. Get the lake back for the public fairly and DFW LE more appropriately has a role.

Quit enabling and serving the thieves.

2. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I have talked with a lot of people from all kinds of organizations. None believe the lake should be closed due to covid.

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,722
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Whole idea is just dumb

4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    i mean I don't find it necessary to go that far. It's fine to see it that way, but at this lake it's absurd.
    My son and I went down there and picked up more trash in the now short walk to the buoy line then those caretakers are picking up in a week and it of course, was not necessary to crowd anyone to do it. SWA management claims they need 4 days to do maintenance. They still change the porta potties once a week. A contractor does the ones in the parking lot. Do they think someone is going to run up and try to kiss them while they are removing a bucket of excrement and putting an new bucket in the place? It's not just potentially stupid , it's a lie. Because it takes less than a day to do the actual work and nobody has to be in the area of the caretaker, even if the lake is open.

#244 Everydog, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  5. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    This morning I woke up to an Email from the US Dept of Fish and Wildlife telling me to contact CA DFW

In less than 24 hours , I have been told By the CA Fish and Game Commissioner to Contact both these agencies ,which both told me to contact the other one. Meanwhile, I find out from my neighbor that two Sweetwater employees and a DFW LE officer recently showed up at his house together try to build a case against some "poachers". Fawk.

6. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I have been writing a boat load of emails, asking Vargas' office to reopen the case they snuffed and every agency you can imagine. I am CC's the KUSI Guy , Camobass recommended most of it on a long shot that he will be stirred to action. Probably goes to his spam.

Good morning Senator Jones' Staff,

It appears you were successful in having an important person reaching out to me from the CA Fish and Wildlife Department. I was told they do not have any involvement in maintaining the fishery at Loveland Reservoir.

On the same day a neighbor of mine said a CA DFW law enforcement officer had recently been to his house with two Sweetwater Authority employees helping them investigate some "poachers". At this time last year I was checked for my CA fishing license at Loveland by DFW and see DFW LE staking it out near the parking lot. I asked why DFW would be providing LE services to a nonprofit water utility that is destroying a lake while no government agency is representing tax paying and fishing license buying California citizens in defense of the fishery , or our easement protected fishing rights and he said I must address that with the legal side. I asked him if he would do that. It was a nice conversation , but it ended with zero commitment to go further on any angle.

I was also notified by the US Department of FIsh and Wild LIfe to contact this agency , CA Department of FIsh and Wildlife, just this morning.

I think we need legal help with these agencies for accountability to tax payers and for help saving this lake, with both the State and Federal Government.

Very respectfully,

7. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Here is the Document I promised earlier in which the former Descanso Ranger appears to be convincing the DFG (now DFW) to sign off on the fishing program. DFG wanted us to have the entire shoreline of Loveland and thought the program would be to small at large drawdowns or due to drought. The Descanso Forest ranger in the time of the Land Swap. Convinced the DFW person that we would always have at least 3.6 miles of shoreline. It is to me obvious that the Descanso Ranger was selling what Sweetwater was selling him based on the flyer of the fishing program, the easement, and design of the KIOSK at the lake. Maximum as we know from those same things is 5 miles of shoreline.

You can jump to paragraph 2.

3.6 to Mile Loveland Fishing Program.pdf

8. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    #248 Everydog, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  9. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Trying to find out why DFW LE is working a lake that no fisheries manager in the CA , or the United States for that matter, will admit to managing.
    How strange.

#249 Everydog, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Anderson office is done. Waste of time there. I probably just helped them get to know and make political friends with the $weetwater Authority.

11. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I got what I guess are solid answers from California from DFW LE phone calls a few minutes ago. California biologists denied any fisheries role last week.

California is adamant in claiming that the Lead Law Enforcement agencies is Federal. California claims that the fishery is also Federal.
    We know the easement is Federal. What are the odds anyone will ever own up to who is the fisheries manager, or if there is no answer on the fisheries question, what is Law Enforcement from US or CA or both, doing at this lake?

If there s no accountability to the fishing people and our easement, and the lake is being trashed with no concerns of involvement from a fisheries manger, it seems like we shouldn't be paying for law enforcement to protect it.

12. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    This is who answers questions form the US Fish and Wildlife Service. WTH hell is that? You know you lost before you start with Tier II Citizen Service! That's some hopeless **** there. Talking to a bot...better than that Descanso Ranger though. .

Regards,
    Tier II, Citizen Service
    Headquarters, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

13. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Tier II Citizen Service referred me back to the Descanso Ranger who I have been trying to work with for just short of a year( see start of this thread for proof) . It was not bad service considering it's tier II, The fishing program and the lake have gone downhill with no proof of imminent improvement since I asked the Cleveland National Forest Supervisor and the Descanso Ranger for help.

From The US Dept of FIsh and Wild Life:

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Loveland Reservoir is owned and operated by Sweetwater Authority which is a public water agency and hunting and fishing rules and regulations statewide are governed on the state level with California Department of Fish and Wildlife.
    The USDA Forest Service has jurisdiction to assist with protecting the water quality and natural habitat and to provide public fishing access. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service may be involved to issue permits for habitat assessment. Such would come out of the Arcata Field Office. You may contact them for information on what they do and do not do for fisheries at: (707) 822.7201 . For further information on fishing management, we suggest you reach out to the USDA and Sweetwater Authority. California Department of Fish and Wildlife can provide clarificaiton on statewide fishing regulations.

Bob Heiar, District Ranger, USFS
    3348 Alpine Boulevard
    Alpine, CA 91901
    (619) 445-6235
    Fax - (619) 445-1753

https://www.sweetwater.org/FormCenter/Contact-Us-4/Send-Us-a-Message-43

#253 Everydog, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  14. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
  15. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry over the fact that my petition will only get one vote!

16. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Interesting day at Loveland, I met the new caretaker . Supposed to be what is needed for Sweetwater to open the lake for 7 days a week.

Also got to ask a sheriff deputy who was in the lake parking lot about the double standard of threatening citations when the easement which has never been challenged by due process of law says we can fish 7 days a week when the SWA gets to steal it and drain the legal fishing area while she does security patrol for them.

She holds that there is no double standard. Claims the property isn't private and that's why they would cite us , but why they won't help on a citizens property if there is a hassle over and easement, which they wont. They always claim it's a civil matter, no chance of a citation. I don't care if I am legally wrong , they are still bullies for SWA against decent citizens being denied rightful access.

17. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I guess what I was trying to get at with the Sheriff is that it doesn't look and it certainly doesn't feel impartial that they would cite someone for fishing during easement hours , while the SWA cynically steals access on the excuse of covid and on unsupportable myth that it is not safe to keep the lake open until sunset.

18. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Letter sent to Anderson's Land Use People this morning. The reason given for not helping us, Lack of Jurisdiction isn't completely satisfying. I sent a similar on to State Senator Brian Jones office who also notes lack of Jurisdiction.
    Everything still goes to the KUSI guys spam. I cc all the usual people, Rangers, US congress aides who closed our case, my friend on the Sweetwater Authority Board, et al.

Good Morning,
    I hope you are both doing well and enjoying all the improving news and other improving situations related to this pandemic we have been facing.
    * I am following up with Loveland Reservoir concerns.
    * After A few emails I received last week from the US department of Fish and Wildlife , It is even more clear that jurisdiction is with the USDA Department of Forestry and therefore my US congressman. This is the agency, including the the Descanso ranger and others up his chain of command, that I have been trying extensively and tenaciously to engage as advocates for the public since last spring. My Congressman's office unfairly closed my case with the USDA Department of Forestry.
    *I understand of course that this means that jurisdiction is not with a county or state agencies in a real direct way. What I don't understand is why our county and state representatives can't approach this as a quality of life issue that they want to defend constituents on. Is it illegal for California or the County of San Diego to use their own elected power to balance the clout of the Sweetwater Authority when the appropriate Federal agency and requests for help from our Federal Representatives are unworthy?

* Mr. Anderson's office has mentioned jurisdiction as one of the reason for minimal public advocacy on this obstructed recreational public access in Alpine.

* I voted for Mr. Anderson because of the petition to open San Diego City lakes last spring. How does his jurisdiction with regards to opening San Diego lakes last spring compare to opening a lake with public access protected by an easement. in district 2 of the county of San Diego currently?
    Very Respectfully,

#258 Everydog, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  19. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    ....because I still believe it is not a question that the three levels of government can't help more, but that they won't help.

20. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Lots of promises to attempt to put the fishing program back on track were made at the last board meeting where 8 or so of us contributed comments.

Keeping in mind that nothing has happened yet except for a additional caretaker being hired:

I have followed up on that with emails and received communication from SWA that the fishing program will be put back to something similar in size and operation schedule to the easement. I don't think this potential would exist without the hell raising with our partners in Government.

I would think that although the fishing program area will be changed permanently with new lower drawdowns, it won't be destroyed permanently as the SWA was potentially planning with draining the lake to 1150 acre feet to sell the water to OTAY or another water district.

They have expressed goals of doing sand mining at the lake which could put us back to square one. If there is lots of money in it our partners in government will turn a blind eye again.

We still need to participate frequently and heavily in board meetings because nothing has changed for the better yet.